PHOCIS FEDERAL COINAGE. I don't know. Help needed please?

Topcat7

I have had this coin for some time and it came to me as PHOCIS Federal Coinage c.354-352 BC.

The coin is 4.56gm., and AE16.3mm.

To my eye, the obverse has diademed female head to right, with words behind, while the reverse has (possibly) CHL-MYAI in two lines within wreath.

Unfortunately, I am unable to confirm that this coin is PHOCIS Federal Coinage.

Any assistance is appreciated, please?

Magical Snap - 2023.09.16 15.58 - 026.jpg

Magical_Snap_-_2023.09.16_15.52_-_021-removebg-preview.png

Magical_Snap_-_2023.09.16_15.54_-_025-removebg-preview.png

• Like 3

It's new to me if  it's correct. I also went through Williams  to see if any of his  many (silver) plates show anything similar, but no.  Ditto wildwinds and coinarchive pro. And  BMC  plate.

However, that's an incredibly specific dating during the 3rd Sacred War, and was when Philomelos and then Onymarchos /  Phallyos were  in charge and died. Maybe the seller saw  something on those coins that linked them to  his/her highly  specific date. Grasping at straws though, as 355 was when the Delphic treasure was  finally raided and there was therefore briefly a huge  quantity of silver and  gold (these are specifically highlighted as being struck into  coins  by Phallyos before TB  got its  revenge on his lungs.)

Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

However, that's an incredibly specific dating during the 3rd Sacred War, and was when Philomelos and then Onymarchos /  Phallyos were  in charge and died. Maybe the seller saw  something on those coins that linked them to  his/her highly  specific date. Grasping at straws though, as 355 was when the Delphic treasure was  finally raided and there was therefore briefly a huge  quantity of silver and  gold (these are specifically highlighted as being struck into  coins  by Phallyos before TB  got its  revenge on his lungs.)

Good luck.

@DeinomenidThank you.

The full reference I was given (which I have been unable to confirm) was 

Phocis Federal Coinage c.354-352 B.C. Onymarchos, Magistrate. Obv. Bull's head facing, . R Legend in three lines, all within laurel wreath. AE16.3mm., 4.56gm BCD Lokris 301, SNG Cop.131 (O)

I am unable to see a Bull's Head (facing).

Edited by Topcat7

• 3 weeks later...