Flavia Maximiana THEODORA, wife of Flavius Valerius Constantius (Chlorus), aka Constantius I

Topcat7

(A recent purchase of a coin and empress not often referred to.)

Flavia Maximiana Theodora (c. 275 – before 337) was a Roman empress, wife of Constantius Chlorus. 1.86gm., AE12mm.

Obv: F L MAX THEO-DORA AVG Mantled bust right.

Rev: PIETAS ROMANA Pietas standing facing holding child in her arms. TRP and palm in exergue.

Ref: RIC VIII 91, LRBC 129,

275-337 AD. Flavia Maximiana THEODORA RICVIII Trier 65s (O).png

275-337 AD. Flavia Maximiana THEODORA RICVIII Trier 65s (R).png

Magical Snap - 2023.09.09 07.36 - 071.jpg

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Yes she doesn’t get posted as often as some of the others but her coins seem common enough. They are often rather similar though.

Theodora Nummus, 337-340
image.jpeg.c5d2ebe06e947d483ff3d43d187e1294.jpeg
Treveri. Bronze, 15mm, 1.10g. Laureate bust right, wearing plain mantle and necklace, hair elaborately dressed; F L MAX THEODORA AVG; Pietas facing, head right, holding an Infant; PIETAS ROMANA; mintmark TRP (RIC VIII, 43). Found in Essex, Portable Antiquities Scheme: ESS-7EC00E. 

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 8

I have this that’s a bit different.

Barbarous Theodora/Constantinopolis hybrid, c340
image.jpeg.5715e7970af693ad5e0c88918a1cda07.jpeg
Britain imitating Trier. Bronze, 13mm, 0.95g. Theodora left; CIHHO-O AIIG (reading right to left and facing outwards, imitating FL MAX THEO-DORAE AVG). Constantinopolis standing on a prow of a ship, holding sceptre and shield; TPZ in exergue (TRS for Trier, again reading right to left).

• Like 8

I think your coin has a palm branch at the end of the mintmark (TRP palm), which would make it RIC VIII Trier 91, like this one (not my coin):

image.png.299d4ba506424e9fd42ec011327bdf06.png

Constantius' first partner (maybe wife, maybe not) was Helena, mother of Constantine the great, but he duly ditched her to marry Theodora, daughter of Maximianus, when he was appointed caesar as part of the tetrarchy.

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

I think your coin has a palm branch at the end of the mintmark (TRP palm), which would make it RIC VIII Trier 91, like this one (not my coin):

Constantius' first partner (maybe wife, maybe not) was Helena, mother of Constantine the great, but he duly ditched her to marry Theodora, daughter of Maximianus, when he was appointed caesar as part of the tetrarchy.

@Heliodromus Thank you for the coin ref. and the write-up. I have altered the reference.

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 1

• Benefactor

Here's one I picked up some time ago.

Theodora.jpg.844823416409759149d66806c892c2ee.jpg

Theodora (deceased wife of Constantius I)
Treveri, 337-340 CE
BI Nummus 1.61g, 16mm, 6h.
FL MAX THEODORAE AVG, laureate and draped bust to right
PIETAS ROMANA, Pietas standing facing, head to right, holding child; TRS in exergue
RIC VIII 43

• Like 6

Here's mine from Trier. I don't know whether or not there's a palm branch in the mint mark; it's of the flan.

image.jpeg.7a8b8b184f49e462fbfaea091ad9e781.jpeg
Theodora, Augusta posthumously (?)
Roman billon reduced centenionalis; 1.42 g, 13.8 mm, 10 h
Trier, AD 337-340
Obv: FL MAX THEODORAE AVG, diademed and draped bust, right
Rev: PIETAS ROMANA, Pietas standing facing, head right, holding infant; in exergue TR P (+/- palm branch; off the flan).
Refs: RIC viii, p. 144, 79 or 91; LRBC I 120; Cohen 4; RCV 17500 or 17502.

• Like 4

I got one from an eBay lot, in pretty poor condition:

Theodora-AEPIETASlotAug2022(0).jpg.b785fa7a05934337fd134d91ee871f86.jpg

Theodora   Æ 15 (337-340 A.D.) Treveri (Trier) Mint [FL] MAX [T]H[EO-DORAE AVG], mantled bust with necklace right / [PIETAS]-ROMANA, Pietas standing facing, head right, holding infant to breast; [•?]TRP• in ex. RIC VIII Treveri 56 or 65. (1.69 grams / 8 x 7 mm) eBay Aug. 2022

Attribution:  Visible mintmark is [•?]TRP • which could be:

RIC VIII Treveri 56:  TRP•

RIC VIII Treveri 65:  •TRP•

Note:  Theodora, daughter or step-daughter of Maximianus, was second wife to Constantius I Chlorus, father of Constantinethe Great.  She was Constantine's step-mother.  "The reason for her coinage is uncertain, but it may have been directed by Constantine  the Great's will." (FORVM)

• Like 5