My (two-thirds of the) Twelve Caesars as of September 6, 2023

lordmarcovan

11 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

FOUND a Tribute penny, you say?  Was this a detecting find, or a ground pickup?  Where?  I'm bursting with curiosity.  Lovely coins.

Yes, this was an MD find. I had bought my son a cheap detector so the two of us could go out together, and in one of our outings he found this along the side of a footpath. That was a real reward for the 50 or so pull-tabs he found that day!  

Edited by GERMANICVS
Improve text
  • Mind blown 1

6 hours ago, GERMANICVS said:

Yes, this was an MD find. I had bought my son a cheap detector so the two of us could go out together, and in one of our outings he found this along the side of a footpath. That was a real reward for the 50 or so pull-tabs he found that day!  

I’ll say!  Not something you can do here in Georgia!  Though I DID find a Roman coin here, once…

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 1:58 AM, lordmarcovan said:

This is my second time doing the Twelve Caesars.  I'm up to eight of the twelve as of this posting, so 2/3 of the way done.  My main criteria are a nice portrait and decent eye appeal.

The last time I did the Twelve, a decade ago, I was on a much smaller budget.

Here we go...

Julius Caesar: needed; want a lifetime portrait coin.

Augustus: AR cistophorus of Ephesus.

coins ancient romans roman provincial ephesus ca 27 bc 14 ad cistophoric tetradrachm of octavian as augustus

Tiberius: AR denarius ("Tribute Penny").

coins ancient to romans imperial and republican roman empire ca 14 37 ad silver denarius of tiberius the biblical tribute penny

Caligula: needed; will probably go with a VESTA As.

Claudius: AE sestertius.  Going back to NGC for reimaging and reholdering (for pix without those pesky prongs).

coins ancient to romans imperial and republican roman empire ca 41 54 ad bronze sestertius of claudius

Nero: AV aureus.

coins roman empire ca 54 68 ad gold aureus of nero

Galba: needed; not sure what type I'll go for yet.

Otho: AR denarius; recent CNG win, off to NGC soon.

coins ancient to romans imperial and republican roman empire ca 69 ad silver denarius of otho

Vitellius: needed; will likely go with a denarius.

Vespasian: AR denarius; yes, it's a posthumous issue struck under Titus, but I love this coin (I have a thing for capricorns).

coins ancient to romans imperial and republican roman empire ca 80 81 ad silver denarius of vespasian commemorative issue struck by titus

Titus: AV aureus; recent purchase from Palmyra Heritage Galleries.  Will go back to NGC for reimaging and reholdering.

coins ancient to romans imperial and republican roman empire ca 80 ad gold aureus of titus struck for the opening of the colosseum

Domitian: AR denarius; as Caesar under Titus.  A recent purchase from Apollo Numismatics.  Will go off to NGC soon.

coins ancient to romans imperial and republican roman empire ca 80 81 ad silver denarius of domitian as caesar under titus

My favorites: Domitian & Vespasian 

• Like 1