What are you budget wishlist coins?

JayAg47

I’d like to add a Constans crossing the English Channel and a Probus facing quadriga someday but, as you say, I haven’t come across the right examples yet.

Until I picked up the below coin a fel temp fallen horseman would have been on that list as well.

FEL_TEMP_1.jpeg.477a37eb1b000cc15c735227a8d5b2bf.jpeg

There is a lot of good coin types in the LRB category that I haven’t gotten around to exploring much yet. 

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, JayAg47 said:

Do you have any coins that you've been wanting to add for a long time, but waiting for the 'perfect' example, since the coin type is actually not rare or expensive?

As my personal rule of thumb, I would say that Septimius Severus marks a point of change. After him, I find it a lot easier to get attractive coins from the more common Roman emperors. The 'common' coins that I did not buy yet because I'm looking for an outstanding (or cheaper) example are all from before his reign: 

- I'm still missing Faustina RIC 676. It usually costs about 150$ in VF condition, but in outstanding condition a lot more. I had an eye on this one, but they current bid is already at 400$. That's too high for me. I can wait, there will be others.

- I also don't have a Tiberius tribute penny yet. I see that one in almost every auction, it's really not rare but still expensive. That's why I'm not in a hurry to get one.

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 5

Here's one that I just got from eBay a few days ago, that only cost $37.

image.png.afe015858cb3cade395b6b4736afac53.png

RIC VI Cyzicus 36, 308 AD

It had been on my wish list for over 10 years! RIC lists it as rare, but scarce seems more accurate. Not rare enough that you're tempted to grab the first one you see, but certainly scarce enough that they don't come up very often and it's a long wait if you're just being patient to hit the right price/condition sweet spot!

Of course the type isn't interesting in of itself, but this issue marks a transition between the original tetrarchic reverse types, and a new set of reverse types introduced by Galerius just before Carnuntum. For some reason Galerius includes this GENIO POPVLI ROMANI type in this new MKA issue introducing his new types, before then dropping it. Last hurrah or change of mind? I like transition points in the coinage.

I have quite a few coins like this on my wish list - scarce enough that they've been on the list for a while, but not rare enough that you give up and capitulate and buy the next one that comes up for sale!

• Like 11

I'm still keeping my eye open for the right Helena, Constantine II, Constantius II, and Constans, for my "Family of Constantine" portrait set. There's plenty of specimens available, but since they are relatively common and inexpensive I can afford to be very choosy.

• Like 7

I am looking for a Thasos coin with the satyr and protesting nymph. I do not mind some wear (and I wouldn't pay the price for a FDC coin) but I want the  design elements clearly visible. 

These are not rare (and from what I see, a certain house has A LOT OF THEM all the time) but the prices are high with this house. 

I've come across a lot of examples with decent prices but too many defects for my tastes (which are indulgent). 

Still waiting for a decent example.

I think something like this is very decent 

image.png.819ff55da62c7b1d73f2b80bc78c9512.png

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 8

I don't think I have any budget coins I haven't at least bought a filler for (given the fillers cost even less), although I imagine Numerian, Carinus and Florianus should be easier to get than they've proven to be.

My list of fillers is quite long. I don't imagine all their replacements will be, since the wait for coins that are both good and budget goes on. They include:

Augustus
Vespasian
Marcus Aurelius
Lucius Verus
Elagabalus
Severus Alexander
Gordian III
Trajan Decius
Trebonianus Gallus
Tacitus
Arcadius
Valens
Theodosius II
Redwulf
Henry IV
Mary
Anne

Tacitus Antoninianus, 275-276
image.png.8f34ed4f4c8b3078dce85fc6f3f4f19d.png
Ticinum. Billon, 22mm, 2.78g. Bust of Tacitus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right; IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG. Providentia, draped, standing left, holding globe in right hand and sceptre in left hand; PROVIDE AVG; mintmark Q (RIC V, 152). Found in Lincolnshire.

Gordian III Antoninianus, 241-243
image.png.cbc24053de072a42640600f78790c56f.png
Rome. 20mm, 5.57g. Bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right; IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG. Apollo, nude to waist, seated left, holding branch in extended right hand and resting left elbow on lyre, P M TR P IIII COS II P P (RIC IV, 88). Found near Woodbridge, Suffolk.

Redwulf Styca, 841-844
image.png.964f05f5e2ef9e5cf2243cafca43ce28.png
York. Bronze, 0.91g. Double struck. Small cross; [RED]VVLF. Small cross; [+VEN]DELBER[HT] (Wendelberht moneyer) (S 867). Found near Beverley, East Yorkshire, before 2017. Portable Antiquities Scheme: YORYM-ACCFC3.

Henry IV Light Coinage Halfpenny, 1412-1413
image.png.b8e5b316372ea9cd699d05ff83c03c26.png
Tower. Silver, 0.56g. Crowned bust facing, annulet either side in upper field; HENRIC REX ANGL. Long cross pattée with three pellets in each angle; CIVITAS LONDON (S 1737).

• Like 7