how to tell the difference between Tib. Constantine & Maurice, Antioch, 40 nummia?

Nerosmyfavorite68

Aside from the legend, if there's a MAVR or similar, am I correct that Tiberius has a cross on top of his crown and Maurice the trefoil ornament?  Per Maurice, I'm referring to the early Antioch style, the one which resembles Tiberius II. And there's bound to be some regnal years which Maurice has and Tiberius didn't.

Here's Maurice.  One can see the initial m in the obverse legend, and while it's worn at the top, the coin appears to have a trefoil crown.

MauriceTiberius-582-602-AEFollis-Antioch-Year810.79seagreenpatina.jpg.62e1e2c74aa6d0ab0a8674deabe092fb.jpg

https://www.vcoins.com/en/Search.aspx?search=true&searchQuery=Tiberius+578+Antioch&searchQueryExclude=&searchCategory=0&searchCategoryLevel=2&searchCategoryAncient=True&searchCategoryUs=False&searchCategoryWorld=True&searchCategoryMints=False&searchBetween=0&searchBetweenAnd=99999&searchDate=&searchUseThesaurus=True&searchDisplayCurrency=&searchDisplay=1&searchIdStore=0&searchQueryAnyWords=&searchExactPhrase=&searchTitleAndDescription=True&searchDateType=0&searchMaxRecords=100&SearchOnSale=False&Unassigned=False

So, are almost all of the AE's, save for the ugly numiscorner 20 nummia, misattributed?  Some of the folles have clear bits of Maurice's name showing.

• Like 8

Yes, Tiberius II coins and Maurice Tiberius coins, can be difficult to tell apart. I'm not an expert. Here's what I concluded, for 40 nummi bronze coins, after looking at photos of Tiberius II 40 nummi bronze coins and Maurice Tiberius 40 nummi bronze coins, in Sear and Dumbarton Oaks. This is only for 40 nummi bronze coins. I don't know anything about smaller denominations (20 nummi, 10 nummi, 5 nummi, etc).

1. All Tiberius II 40 nummi bronze coins seem to have a crown with a cross on top. I have not found any Tiberius II 40 nummi bronze coins, which have a crown with a trefoil on top.
2. Maurice Tiberius 40 nummi bronze coins, can have a crown with a cross on top, or a crown with a trefoil on top. 
3. Certain regnal years, are not found on Tiberius II 40 nummi bronze coins. Most Tiberius II 40 nummi bronze coins, have regnal years 5, 6, 7, and 8. However, some have regnal year 4, shown as II over II, such as Sear 447. Sear 466 seems to be a unique type, in that it is a Tiberius II 40 nummi bronze coin, which sometimes has regnal year II. So if a coin, which looks like a Tiberius II 40 nummi bronze coin, has regnal year I, or regnal year III, then probably it is a Maurice Tiberius 40 nummi bronze coin. There seem to be no regnal year I, and no regnal year III, for Tiberius II 40 nummi bronze coins.
4. Some Tiberius II 40 nummi bronze coins have a lowercase "m" on the reverse, and others have an uppercase "M" on the reverse.
5. Some Maurice Tiberius 40 nummi bronze coins have a lowercase "m" on the reverse, and others have an uppercase "M" on the reverse.
6. The legends on these coins, were often blundered, which sometimes makes it difficult, to tell them apart.

Here are my Tiberius II and Maurice Tiberius 40 nummi bronze coins.

image.jpeg.957bb42378c9925cc407900df5c7696d.jpeg

Tiberius II. AE 40 Nummi Follis. Regnal Year 5. Minted 578 AD To 579 AD. Constantinople Mint. Sear 430. Maximum Diameter 36.7 mm. Weight 17.60 grams. Obverse : Tiberius II Bust Facing Front, Holding Mappa And Eagle Tipped Scepter, Cross Above Eagle. Reverse : Large Lower Case "m", Mint "CON", Officina E.

image.jpeg.c5c74fc7c29d44c8eb75e03e2ff9c854.jpeg

Maurice Tiberius. AE 40 Nummi Follis. Regnal Year 3. Minted 585 AD. Antioch/Theopolis Mint. Sear 532. Maximum Diameter 29.5 mm. Weight 12.79 grams. Obverse : Maurice Tiberius Bust Facing Front, Trefoil On Top Of Crown, Holding Mappa And Eagle Tipped Scepter. Reverse : Large Lower Case "m", Mint "THEUP".

• Like 7
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

To add to what sand posted, here's a follis of Maurice Tiberius that came out of Roma's E-Sale 95, lot 1487:

Catalogue Image

And here's the lot's description:

Maurice Tiberius Æ 40 Nummi. In the name of Tiberius II. Theoupolis (Antioch), dated RY 5 = AD 586/7. Blundered legend, crowned facing bust, wearing consular robes, holding mappa and eagle-tipped sceptre / Large M; cross above, ANNO to left, Ч (date) to right, ƮHЄUPO' in exergue. MIBE 95Ab; DOC 156; Sear 532. 12.60g, 31mm, 6h.

Very Fine.

From the Vitangelo Collection, collector's ticket included.

According to Sear, the trefoil ornament on the crown of the emperor distinguishes this coin from the issue of the previous emperor, Tiberius II Constantine. Under Maurice Tiberius this issue continued to be struck in the name of Tiberius II albeit with badly blundered inscriptions.

• Like 8

It can be confusing.  This over-cleaned follis came my way from an eBay lot - at first I thought it was Tiberius II because the legend has TIBERI.. but it was not:

MauriceTiberius-ConstantinoplefollismAVRICTIBERSB492year1-MINEjul23(0).jpg.1b9a0afd1b0fc72c029020cb4bb96720.jpg

Maurice Tiberius  Æ Follis Year 1 (582-583 A.D.) Constantinople Mint o N TIbЄRI mAVRC P P AVG,  crowned, cuirassed bust facing, holding globus cruciger and shield / Large M, A|N|N|O left, I right, cross above, A below, CON in exergue. SB 492; MIB 65; DOC 20a. (12.33 grams / 28 x 25 mm) eBay July 2023 Lot @ $2.17

• Like 6