Iconic denarius added - Sabinus

ambr0zie

Adding coins with a mythological background is one of my major goals. Managed to add one, a good present for my incoming birthday (along with another one I was chasing for a long time, the T. Carisius denarius with a reverse showing minting tools)

image.png.4a9f1cb8803d6f0d19f699c48b7eff1a.png

L Titurius L f Sabinus - Sabine Denarius. 89 BC. Rome mint. Sabine Women Denarius. Obv: bare head of King Tatius right, bearded, SABIN behind, palm-branch before. Rev: two Roman soldiers running, each bearing a Sabine woman in his arms; L TITVRI in exergue. Craw. 344/1b; Syd. 698; RSC Tituria 2; Sear 249.

From Wiki page about this incident

According to Roman historian Livy, the abduction of Sabine women occurred in the early history of Rome shortly after its founding in the mid-8th century BC and was perpetrated by Romulus and his predominantly male followers; it is said that after the foundation of the city, the population consisted solely of Latins and other Italic people, in particular male bandits. With Rome growing at such a steady rate in comparison to its neighbors, Romulus became concerned with maintaining the city's strength. His main concern was that with few women inhabitants there would be no chance of sustaining the city's population, without which Rome might not last longer than a generation. On the advice of the Senate, the Romans then set out into the surrounding regions in search of wives to establish families with. The Romans negotiated unsuccessfully with all the peoples that they appealed to, including the Sabines, who populated the neighboring areas. The Sabines feared the emergence of a rival society and refused to allow their women to marry the Romans. Consequently, the Romans devised a plan to abduct the Sabine women during the festival of Neptune Equester. They planned and announced a festival of games to attract people from all the nearby towns. According to Livy, many people from Rome's neighboring towns – including Caeninenses, Crustumini, and Antemnates – attended the festival along with the Sabines, eager to see the newly established city for themselves. At the festival, Romulus gave a signal by "rising and folding his cloak and then throwing it round him again," at which the Romans grabbed the Sabine women and fought off the Sabine men. In total, thirty Sabine women were abducted by the Romans at the festival. All of the women abducted at the festival were said to have been virgins except for one married woman, Hersilia, who became Romulus' wife and would later be the one to intervene and stop the ensuing war between the Romans and the Sabines. The indignant abductees were soon implored by Romulus to accept the Roman men as their new husbands.

The word "rape" (cognate with "rapto" in Portuguese and other Romance languages, meaning "kidnap") is the conventional translation of the Latin word raptio used in the ancient accounts of the incident. Modern scholars tend to interpret the word as "abduction" or "kidnapping" as opposed to a sexual assault.

Just to clarify - I am not supporting any actions depicted on this coin. But adding a coin with a documented story in the background is something I always want.

I am a little annoyed that there were 3 similar coins in the auction, but I chose (without paying proper attention) the one where the strike is that bad that Tatius looks bald. However, I like the details and the clear branch symbol. Since I was looking after a decent example without breaking the bank, I am happy!

Please post coins depicting facts from mythology/history!

• Like 19
  • Heart Eyes 1

A very interesting type. Here is the other type:

normal_Republik_20.jpg.07055c7c920e5cb03880947066477413.jpg

L. Titurius L.F. Sabinus
AR Denarius, 89 BC, Rome
Obv.: SABIN A PV, Head of King Tatius right, palm below chin
Rev.: Tarpeia facing between two soldiers, star and crescent
Ag, 17mm, 4g
Ref.: Crawford 344/2C, Sydenham 699a
Clashed dies. See the mirrored BIN from SABIN behind the leg of the right soldier
Ex E.E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 15

Interesting coin. I like your collecting angle, it gives your coins more appeal than simply portraying some deity or other.

A lot of ancient coins depict or glorify violence. Like many collectors, I have a few that feature captives and I don't condone slavery or war crimes (or war at all). I wouldn't collect them if they were being produced by a mint today - we've learned a few things in the last 2000 years - but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be interested in how society worked back then. There are not many aspects of Roman society I'd want to revive, but it's fascinating.

I have very few coins depicting events, but I believe this is meant to commemorate Constans' sailing to Britain. There was no need for a battle, but he wanted to show he was a conquering emperor nonetheless.

Constans 'Galley' Centenionalis, 348-350image.png.4a72cbf665aae89e8bab6ed4a22b8d65.png

Treveri. Bronze, 23mm, 5.26g. Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG. Emperor standing left on galley, holding Victory on globe and standard with Chi-Rho in banner; Victory seated at stern, holding rudder; FEL TEMP - REPARATIO; TRP (RIC VIII, 219). From the Bridgnorth (Shropshire) Hoard 2007, comprising 2,892 coins up to 355, mostly Magnentius and Decentius.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my Sabinus  of the second type for comparison. 

image.png.4af66c327cacf172137a0d1234d83200.png

18mm 4.01 gm. CRAWFORD 344/2C  

Ex Savoca Auction 39 2019.

Your coin @ambr0zie was a significant coin that I wanted for several years and I have only recently acquired an example. Here it is.

image.png.deb43bbe2046cbfdd98b8196d4d18fb9.png

Opisthodomos, Auction 1  May 2022.

• Like 6

Denarius of L. Titurius L. F. Sabinus 89 BC Obv Bare head of King Tatius palm frond below Rv Twp Romans facing each other each carrying female under their arm. Crawford 344/1c RBW 1300 4.30 grms 18 mm Photo by W. Hansen344-d.jpg.c6031a6ef4398cd57fed6e0724f24b48.jpg

I concur with @ambr0ziecomments seen above. Nice coin and an interesting look into Rome's distant past.

• Like 7

I realized I might be slightly bothered by the bad strike and since another similar coin remained unsold in the auction, I requested the house to add it in my invoice.

image.png.a2218d8b36f5f028c6550cc66c7bd9f7.png

This was not a problem since this one remained unsold.

Very small flan on this one (and the subtype cannot be determined) but why leaving it unsold?

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 6