In Asta Auction 100 discussion

Prieure de Sion

Now this auction is over, it is no longer uncouth to discuss it. Did you participate? Any wins?
https://asta.inasta.com 

I for one am completely pissed off. I apologise for these words. I wanted to buy this Titus Denarius for my "Venus Buttocks" collection. We got to 420 euros and a Spanish bidder outbid me by 440 euros. No problem - I want to bid 460 euros - and the moment I want to press the green button, my Google Chrome browser freezes! And it hangs and hangs. And then it refreshes again and we are 2 lots further. I look at the results and see - my bid didn't go through - the denarius was sold to the Spanish bidder.

AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/inasta/browse?a=2600&l=2913673

2913673_1654078104.l.jpg

Dear Spanish bidder, if you read this, congratulations. My weekend is spoiled. I am sad without end. It's not the other bidder's fault, of course. After all, it was my technical problem. Annoying. I'm very annoyed. I will probably buy bad things from Leu at the weekend out of frustration 😞

I was able to win a Venus. But the loss of the Titus dampens the joy a little. Perhaps the joy will be greater tomorrow.

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/inasta/browse?a=2600&l=2913636 

2913636_1654078067.l.jpg

• Like 7

Acta est fabula, plaudite!

8 minutes ago, Octavius said:

Well your Caesar denarius is gorgeous!

Thanks for this words. The reverse could be a little more centred, but the most important thing - is the Venus portrait. But still. When you are so stupid and want a purchase 100% and then lose it because of something like this - it dampens the mood a bit. I know - it's stupid and tomorrow the sun will surely shine again. Until then.

I want the Titus Venus! Gods! Why did you punish me like this?

• Cry 1

This thing - browser crashing or similar issues - happened to me once or twice. And of course, in situations when I was just about to win a coin. Frustrating. 

After that I have a personal backup when I am participating in an auction and I really want a coin - I watch it on both my computer and on my phone (different network). 

This might sound like overkill but I clearly remember 2 situations closer to yours - 1st my browser crashed and closed. 2nd - my mouse click refused to be registered. 

Recently I was in an auction and I won an Otho from Antioch. The browser crashed, of course, why shouldn't it since it was the coin I was most interested in. But my phone was open and on the auction. Won it from there. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Finn235 said:

Wasn't watching it at all, but dang it I wish I had been

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/inasta/browse?a=2600&l=2913741

Somebody just scored a $500 Laelianus because it was misattributed as Marius!

I don't know anything about collecting this period. But from what you say, someone made a good buy? 

12 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

This thing - browser crashing or similar issues - happened to me once or twice. And of course, in situations when I was just about to win a coin. Frustrating. 

I think so. But on the other hand, it's better not to win a coin than to win one you don't want 😄 ... It happened to me last year at Oslo Myntgallery. My browser was spinning around and I wanted to click everything away. But somehow the picture was distorted. And I didn't notice that I had pressed buttons I didn't want to. 

And so I ended up with a Claudius and a Nero bronze that I didn't really want to buy 😄

After than I have a personal backup when I am participating in an auction and I really want a coin - I watch it on both my computer and on my phone (different network). 

Oh, That's a nice idea! If you want 100% a coin - I think that's a good idea!

Recently I was in an auction and I won an Otho from Antioch. The browser crashed, of course, why shouldn't it since it was the coin I was most interested in. But my phone was open and on the auction. Won it from there. 

Oh good. Yes... sure. Next auction there is an 1000% coin of interest I will do the same. 

Edited by Prieure de Sion

Yes I agree with the phone thing. When I absolutely have to win a coin (or at least have a really good go at winning so I don't feel bad), I load the auction on my phone as well.

Sometimes, my phone is better for bidding, depending on how the auction is set up e.g. the bid button is easier to press or you have different options. On eBay, the countdown on my phone is often as much as a second further on than my laptop, so presumably I might bid too late on my laptop if someone snipes.

And if I suddenly have to get up and answer the door or go and pick up my son from somewhere at an inopportune moment, I can take my phone with me. I even won a coin on a Maldivian beach once, when an auction happened while I was on holiday.

Edited by John Conduitt

@Prieure de Sion Laelianus was a short-lived Gallic Usurper vs Postumus. Easily the rarest and most valuable of the ones that are even remotely obtainable (i.e. not Domitianus). To hammer for less than $1k (before fees) they typically have to be in a horrid state of preservation, so whoever won this made a slam dunk. It probably would have hammered for €900-1200 had it been properly attributed and highlighted.

• Like 1
  • Mind blown 1

28 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

But on the other hand, it's better not to win a coin than to win one you don't want 😄 ... It happened to me last year at Oslo Myntgallery. My browser was spinning around and I wanted to click everything away. But somehow the picture was distorted. And I didn't notice that I had pressed buttons I didn't want to. 

And so I ended up with a Claudius and a Nero bronze that I didn't really want to buy 😄

Happened to me. I was watching an auction on both my computer and phone. For the next 30 minutes or so there were no coins I was interested in so I wanted to close the browser on my phone. Somehow I managed to press Bid. And got this.

image.png.216eef7dbc434657b49d06d278365936.png

Actually, for 36 EUR this wasn't bad at all.

But it gives me the chills when I remember that in that auction there was a modern gold coin with a starting price of 8.000 EUR and no bids. That wouldn't have been a smart move.

Usually I don't like using the phone for any activity that can be done on the PC. Not old fashioned but I simply like a big screen, a keyboard and a mouse more. But I won some coins using my phone, for example I was on the train once and I got a few cheap 3rd century antoninianii. Or I was returning from shopping, I was in the bus, noticed a Maximinus Thrax with Three Graces reverse, why letting it go?

• Like 4

I managed to buy this Victoria Sixpence by accident on my phone. I bid on (and won) the previous lot while in bed just before I went to sleep. I woke up the next morning to find this on my invoice as well. I imagine I somehow pressed the bid button when putting down my phone. Luckily, it was only £28, but it was a similar situation to ambr0zie's. I think the lot previous to the ones I won was something like a Charles I Unite - a coin I would've been very happy with, but if I could've afforded £10,000, I'd have bid on it.

Victoria Sixpence, 1897

image.png.e4b9d49901679c4c5bb645c09a1dd6bd.png

London. Silver, 19mm, 2.82g. Head 5, veiled and draped; VICTORIA DEI GRA BRITT REGINA FID DEF IND IMP. SIX PENCE within wreath, crown (redesigned) above, date below (S 3941).

Bidding on my laptop isn't infallible, though. I won both these coins because my laptop froze on the first one. When it recovered, I didn't realise I'd already won it and the auction had moved onto the next coin - which was exactly the same issue. Fortunately, it was only another £26, which is a price I'll take for a warning shot!

Nicholas II Quarter Kopek, 1909

image.png.bcccf1b29a7afb45ff2cbbadea8325be.png

St Petersburg. Copper, 13.2mm, 0.79g. * 1/4 * КОПѢЙКИ 1910 СПБ (SPB). Crowned monogram of Nikolai II above sprays (Bitkin 279).

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1