I just photographed this 8 escudos cob today, probably my nicest one appearance-wise.

robinjojo

• Benefactor

This is a Lima 8 escudos cob that I bought from Dan Sedwick back in the summer of 2001, so it's been well overdue for a snap.

While this coin is dated 1715, it is not from that ill fated fleet.  The strike is generally well centered for these coins, and there's part of the second date (bottom parts) running along the obverse between around 10 and 12 o'clock, following the "ANNO" as "715".  The leading "1" is omitted in the legend due to space limitations as it also is across the obverse.

Also, the 5 in the date is the Spanish style 5, resembling a sickle.

Lima 8 escudos, Philip V, 1715, Assayer M.

KM 38.2 

26.8 grams

1593152365_D-CameraLima8escudos1715AssayerM26.8gpartialseconddateSedwick2001KM38.26-21-22.jpg.2fd0fb9c1504f780c8309e9e57889f37.jpg

So, please post your gold, silver or bronze cobs, or anything else you wish!

Thanks

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

• robinjojo changed the title to I just photographed this 8 escudos cob today, probably my nicest one appearance-wise.
4 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

This is a Lima 8 escudos cob that I bought from Dan Sedwick back in the summer of 2001, so it's been well overdue for a snap.

While this coin is dated 1715, it is not from that ill fated fleet.  The strike is generally well centered for these coins, and there's part of the second date (bottom parts) running along the obverse between around 10 and 12 o'clock, following the "ANNO".

Lima 8 escudos, 1715, Assayer M.

KM 38.2 

26.8 grams

1593152365_D-CameraLima8escudos1715AssayerM26.8gpartialseconddateSedwick2001KM38.26-21-22.jpg.2fd0fb9c1504f780c8309e9e57889f37.jpg

So, please post your gold, silver or bronze cobs, or anything else you wish!

Thanks

Wow 😲! Nice photo & great coin 😊.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Thank you, Al and Kali. 

I am becoming more competent taking photos, incrementally, in very very small increments.

I need to gather together all of the 8 escudos cobs and put them in a thread some time.

Edited by robinjojo

• Benefactor

Here's another 8 escudos that I photographed today, this one from the Spanish mainland, Seville.

Spain, Seville, 8 escudos, possibly (16)44 R, Philip IV.

26.81 grams

The date is something of a guess, but I think the bottoms of the two fours in the date are visible on the reverse, around 12 o'clock.

1801845671_D-CameraSpainSeville8escudospossibly16(44)RPhilIV26.81gKM1126-23-22.jpg.f060acccf795e6f668fc13c92527c7a1.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
On 6/23/2022 at 7:36 PM, Spirityoda said:

Very nice coin.  Envy is thee word.

Thanks!  These 8 escudo cobs were acquired over many years, going back to the late 1980s. 

I have nine gold cobs, eight 8 escudos and one 2 escudos, which I hope to photograph and put them in a thread.

They are:

8 escudos

Seville,  Philip IV, (16)44 R

Madrid, Charles II, (1687 - date not visible)

Mexico, Philip V, 1713J

Lima, Philip V, 1715 M

Lima, Luis I, 1725 M

Lima, Philip V, 1738 N

Lima, Philip V, 1747 V

Lima, Ferdinand VI, 1750

2 escudos

Bogota, Philip IV, (date not visible), probably 1630

Edited by robinjojo

• Benefactor
29 minutes ago, Spirityoda said:

Is you coin worth $20,000 - 30,000+   ?

That's a good question. I really haven't been following the price trends for these coins more over a decade.  I couldn't afford them over the years. 

The Lima 1715  M 8 escudos cost me $4,100 in 2001, and that purchase required additional fund raising (selling other coins). NGC shows the coin at $7,500 in XF, which I assume is the grade this coin.  The obverse is somewhat off center, but the surfaces are nice. so perhaps it is a $12,000 in today's market?

The Spanish gold cobs don't have the attraction of the colonial coins, One coin, with a bold three digit date (the last three digits) sold at a French auction in June 2017 for €11, 500.  My coin lacks a clear date, so perhaps €9,775 or $10,263.75 at today's exchange rate?

• Benefactor

Not necessarily.  There's a premium for 8 escudos from the 1715 Plate Fleet, even though they often show the effects of salvage.  Gold won't corrode in salt water, but a coin could acquire a "sand blasted" look, a grainy texture brought about by the erosion of the copper alloy.  The desirability of these and other salvaged coins, such as those from the salvages of the Atocha is driven by their association with a wreck, as well as the certificates that accompany these coins.

Personally I don't care for certificates or the association of a coin with a wreck.  For me, the coin must "sell" itself. It must have desirable aspects to make it a candidate for purchase.  That's always been my guiding principle for all coins - ancient and world.

• Like 1

I don’t own any Cobs. However, I do have a couple of milled coins from the Spanish Empire:

1798 gold Escudo, Madrid mint

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

1816 silver 8 Reales, Mexico City mint

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yeah, I know most of you guys hate slabs. However, it’s mostly my modern coins that are slabbed. So far, none of my ancient coins are entombed in plastic coffins. 

Edited by MrMonkeySwag96
  • Like 8

• Benefactor
On 6/25/2022 at 12:48 AM, MrMonkeySwag96 said:

I don’t own any Cobs. However, I do have a couple of milled coins from the Spanish Empire:

1798 gold Escudo, Madrid mint

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

1816 silver 8 Reales, Mexico City mint

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yeah, I know most of you guys hate slabs. However, it’s mostly my modern coins that are slabbed. So far, none of my ancient coins are entombed in plastic coffins. 

Nice coins! 

My very first Spanish colonial 8 reales was a Mexico 8 reales dated 1819, purchased at Hudson's Department Store coin department, Detroit, in 1978.