U.S.Large Notes

Paddy54

One of my first collections had a US section with $1, $2 and $5 notes from 1940s to 1980s and I really liked the texture and the feel of the paper. Even modern US notes (which I gotta say look a bit like Monopoly money) seem to be made of a way sturdier paper than my EURO notes. 

• Like 2

• Benefactor

My only "large" US notes (in very circulated condition!) from my very small world paper money collection. They're dated 1914, but I think they must have been issued during the 1921-1932 period, when Andrew W. Mellon (whose signature appears on them) was Secretary of the Treasury.

For those who aren't familiar with this kind of banknote, they're very noticeably larger than current US banknotes: approximately 190 x 80 mm. (7.5" x 3") rather than the current 155 x 65 mm. (6" x 2.5").

image.png.56bd5a2bba4b568c432f097595bdf7bc.png

image.png.5e03c0bc01fd2904b57e580b0a95c0e7.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

They're dated 1914, but I think they must have been issued during the 1921-1932 period, when Andrew W. Mellon (whose signature appears on them) was Secretary of the Treasury.

image.png.56bd5a2bba4b568c432f097595bdf7bc.png

image.png.5e03c0bc01fd2904b57e580b0a95c0e7.png

This is what we medievalists would call an 'immobilization'

• Like 2

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, quant.geek said:

I got a good run of the notes as types. I was mostly collecting seal colors for the small size notes as well, but I am missing some examples as it got expensive, very quickly. 

United States of America: 1929 Jones-Wood Ten Dollars Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank Note (Fr#1860-I)

United States of America: 1934 Julian-Morgenthau $10 Federal Reserve Note (Fr#2004K)

United States of America: 1934A Julian-Morgenthau Ten Dollars Federal Reserve Note (Fr#2006L)

United States of America: 1934A Julian-Morgenthau Ten Dollars Federal Reserve Note (Fr#2303)

United States of America: 1934A Julian-Morgenthau Ten Dollars Silver Certificate (Fr#2309) This particular series was issued for use with the Armed Forces in Europe and North Africa.

United States of America: 1934C Julian-Snyder Ten Dollars Silver Certificate (Fr#1704)

United States of America: 1953 Priest-Humphrey Ten Dollars Silver Certificate (Fr#1706)

United States of America: 2004A Cabral-Snow Ten Dollars Federal Reserve Note (Fr#2039G ★)

What was "National Currency" (the first specimen)? I don't believe I've ever heard of it.

Ooooo a topic I can participate in!

National Currency Five Dollars Bloomsburg PA

I live near this town. Well close enough to get to the anual Bloomsburg Fair or fish for catfish behind the fairgrounds which I have done many times. Since the Fair started in 1854, this note could have got some of it's wear there after being printed in the February 1883. Five bucks would have provided entertainment for the family quite well back in those days I would imagine. I have no idea what this is worth, but being somewhat local, I will probably take it to the upcoming coin show and sell it. It should fetch a good buck, maybe enough to go to the fair?

image.jpeg.f4869ece19080cf901828b48097e5dd7.jpeg

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, DonnaML said:

What was "National Currency" (the first specimen)? I don't believe I've ever heard of it.

The first specimen is actually a Federal Reserve Bank Note, made in such haste in 1933 that they reused National Bank Note plates rather than making new ones. In the lower right they simply blacked out President and wrote Governor. National Bank Notes were issued by banks up to the amount of a U.S. bond they bought to back the notes. So if the First National Bank of [insert town here] bought a $50,000 U.S. Bond, they could issue $50,000 worth of banknotes and Bureau of Engraving and Printing would print them for them. The National Bank program initially began during the Civil War, as it served as a way to increase government revenue. I have two from my hometown.

Edited by milesofwho
  • Thanks 1