One of my Coins Featured in a YouTube Video

Curtisimo

NumisForums own @Steppenfool has an excellent YouTube channel where he discusses ancient coins and history. He recently asked me if he could use an image of one of my coins on his channel and I was more than happy to say yes. For those of you that don’t know about his channel it’s got a lot of interesting content and I highly recommend it.

The video is about coins that were mentioned in the ancient sources. Below is the link to the video.

https://youtu.be/0ZMmHQAN-oU

Here is the coin in question.

Julian_II_AE1.jpeg.6b2655038cf8479cc29b31b9d5e904ee.jpeg

Please feel free to share your coins that were mentioned in ancient sources or used in a video or publication.

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 23
  • Yes 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

10 hours ago, Captch said:

.Nice video, @Steppenfool and nice coin @Curtisimo. I didn't know about the Constantine issue with his eyes raised upwards. I did a double-take when it first appeared onscreen because of how it differs from every other bust

Thank you! Yes some of them to have an uncanny look about them. I can only speculate, but I think it was to separate itself  via exaggeration from other historical issues with "raised eyes" that are more nuanced like certain Greek types. @David Atherton recently pointed out to me in another thread that certain Domitian portraits are classed as "eyes to heaven." as well

How to Read Ancient Coins | Baldwin's

I also believe that the orientation that people who photograph the coins choose does not help the uncanny look of the Constantine issues. Often they mark the rotational origin when the eyes are parallel, rather than when the neckline is, which makes Constantine look like he's a cartoon character poking his head around a corner. Below, on the left is the CNG original photo and seems to be the fashion, and on the right is how I personally orientate these coins, both in my mind, and when I photograph/edit coin images.

image.png.b6f672e3f66f9f2f392a00c7c579ca9a.png

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 6
  • Yes 1
  • Laugh 2

9 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

NumisForums own @Steppenfool has an excellent YouTube channel where he discusses ancient coins and history. He recently asked me if he could use an image of one of my coins on his channel and I was more than happy to say yes. For those of you that don’t know about his channel it’s got a lot of interesting content and I highly recommend it.

The video is about coins that were mentioned in the ancient sources. Below is the link to the video.

https://youtu.be/0ZMmHQAN-oU

Here is the coin in question.

Julian_II_AE1.jpeg.6b2655038cf8479cc29b31b9d5e904ee.jpeg

Please feel free to share your coins that were mentioned in ancient sources or used in a video or publication.

Yup, that's your coin 🤩, & an enjoyable video. I've got a Julian bronze from a different mint, see photo below. 2491172-015AWKCollection.jpg.a2c5093f0e171e275543a5ae23f1005d.jpg

The coin pictured below I sold several years ago. NGC4247806-002ExAWKCollection.jpg.e17e703969285c74eb3b5614bea9bfcf.jpg

• Like 9

• Benefactor

That's a very interesting video.  It seems that it is part of human nature to inveigh through the ages against styles of grooming, appearance and the use of symbols, including those on coins, as deviations from what some consider social or religious norms of the time, all the way down to our present day.

The upward cast of the eyes goes back to Alexander III, perhaps even earlier.  I really don't collect based on eye orientation, but I did come across and acquire this "skyward" gazing Alexander III tetradrachm recently.  It is from Amphipolis and dated between 323-320 BC.

Price 103; Mueller 153; Demanhur 895-908.

17.23 grams

D-CameraAlexanderIIItetradrachm323-320BCAmphipolisPrice103Mueller153Demanhur895-90817.23gramsSal5-7-23.jpg.1d91e93a97fa1ef1668de2a462b51822.jpg

• Like 7
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thanks to @Romancollector (I'm pretty sure it was him), my Marcus Aurelius denarius was recognized as a rare bust variety. It sits on page 146 of the following link (pdf):

http://romanpaulus.x10host.com/Marcus/08 - Marcus Aurelius - TR POT XVII Period, 162-163 (med_res).pdf

Page 145 references "collection of ewomack" in the footnotes. Thanks again to @Roman Collector for making that all happen. I had purchased the coin completely randomly as a birthday present to myself because I liked the look of it. I had no idea where it would all go.

161_to_162_MarcusAurelius_Denarius_01.png.4424e2002e5423ecb914f7b85846dd90.png161_to_162_MarcusAurelius_Denarius_02.png.14103a69b15bc126b2d26cfcd15edb46.png
Marcus Aurelius. AR Denarius. Struck 161/2 AD. M ANTONINVS AVG, bare head right / CONCORD AVG TR P XVII, COS III in exergue, Concordia seated left, holding patera, resting left elbow on statuette of Spes set on base. 18mm 3.4gm

I also have a Julian II "bull" coin, from Thessalonika

360_to_363_JulianII_AE1_BIMalorina_01.png.bf81bec25258e1b1e1be93bb23c94411.png360_to_363_JulianII_AE1_BIMalorina_02.png.f0ab42e04c3fcfe50336420e232b8e4f.png
Julian II (360 - 363) AE1 (BI Maiorina); Thessalonika Mint; Obv: DN FL CL IVLIANUS PF AUG; Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; Rev: SECVRITAS REIPVB; Bull standing right, two stars above;*TESΓ in exergue; Ref: RIC 226

• Like 6
  • Yes 1
  • Laugh 1