Coins erroneously listed as Nekta-NOT-bo ll at today's Biga auction sold for too much

Ryro

Just a heads up: if you were one of the folks fooled at today's Biga auction, these are not coins of Nektanebo II, the last native ruler of Egypt. 

Screenshot_20230610_114043_Chrome.jpg.0ad9404545d0ebe6022c74aed32c2481.jpgScreenshot_20230610_114103_Chrome.jpg.920ab59737d40796970dcdfb5fbfa220.jpg

They should have been listed as, and Biga surely knows better but opted for the $ over being honest with its clientele:

LEVANTINE REGION, Uncertain. 3rd century AD. Æ Ram leaping left, head reverted / Scales; pellet in central field

The reason for the confusion is the seeming similarities between it and the gold stater issued by Nektanebo II. But upon further reflection, they really don't appear much alike at all, nor are the bronze types even being found anywhere near Egypt!

Here is what an actual Nektanebo II looks like:

Nektanebo.jpg.86b7358a928b0b60ca793547e603ea47.jpg

(Image borrowed from @AncientJoe and his amazing collection)

If you were duped at today's Biga auction I would recommend contacting them, letting them know that you know the truth, and canceling your purchase. The coins that brought 60 & 80 euros normally go for 10-15 in that same shape when properly attributed. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But hopefully the more people that are aware the less "shady auction houses" (that means all auction houses) will stop trying to pull one over on us the collectors of ancient history. 

• Like 9
  • Yes 2
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 1

3 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

They're on Wildwinds as Nektanebo II. And MA Shops. Even when the link is questioned, they still go for more than EUR80.

Good golly miss Molly! That creepo on MAshops is selling theirs for about a grand🤮

And good call out. Depending on where you buy from some houses still bring in big(ger) bucks for these listed with the levantine attribution (more than likely so they can be resold to rubes) but in smaller auctions, and in this bad of condition, I've seen them go for opening.

Just to be clear, and so we are not splitting hairs, you are not saying that you believe these to be from Nektanebo ll in Egypt but that they can still bring in🤑 due to the old confusion?

Edited by Ryro
Fixing they're to theirs
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryro said:

Good golly miss Molly! That creepo on MAshops is selling there's for about a grand🤮

And good call out. Depending on where you buy from some houses still bring in big(ger) bucks for these listed with the levantine attribution (more than likely so they can be resold to rubes) but in smaller auctions, and in this bad of condition, I've seen them go for opening.

Just to be clear, and so we are not splitting hairs, you are not saying that you believe these to be from Nektanebo ll in Egypt but that they can still bring in🤑 due to the old confusion?

No not Nektanebo ll. But if you have reputable sources saying they are, and can see CNG sold one for $3750, it's easy to believe.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor

Definitely not Nektanebo II. Given that this has been pretty conclusively proven, it bothers me that so many sellers continue to use that attribution in the hope of finding suckers...

Some time ago I nearly spent a good sum on one. Luckily I did my research first and scratched it off the list.

• Like 3
  • Yes 3