Greek and Provincial ID Help please :)

hotwheelsearl

Picked up these two.

First one is 17mm.
Obv: Helmeted Perseus(?) left.
Rev: Figure on horseback, galloping right.

IMG_E8240.JPG.ba17dfea8c35f5ea911f69b29f6ff248.JPG

This reminds me of some Macedonian issues, but I can't nail it down.

Next is 15mm.
Obv: Laureate bust left.
Rev: Farmer plowing with two cows or bulls.
IMG_E8242.JPG.25cc9f944dc8eb688da2cb2f724fa2f2.JPG

Obverse sure looks like Antoninus Pius, but I couldn't find a match on Wildwinds. Then I remembered I once had a Tiberius coin with a similar reverse, but I can't find that reference either.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, Edessa said:

I believe the first is a Philip II of Macedon AE Unit, although the exact attribution is going to be sketchy unless you can identify the object below the horse and rider.

Oof, I guess we’ll have to chalk it up to generic Philip II then 😕

• Like 1
  • Big Smile 1

Here's how much fun it is for someone who's mostly transitioned from Ancient to Medieval to look at this stuff.  @hotwheelsearl's initial example was (metaphor alert:) smelling Gallic Celtic to me, composition notwithstanding. 

Cool how stuff that can look 'barbarous' doesn't have to be.  From this forum, maybe everyone's valued input on earlier Byzantine can be the main meme for the same phenomenon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeandAcre said:

Here's how much fun it is for someone who's mostly transitioned from Ancient to Medieval to look at this stuff.  @hotwheelsearl's initial example was (metaphor alert:) smelling Gallic Celtic to me, composition notwithstanding. 

Cool how stuff that can look 'barbarous' doesn't have to be.  From this forum, maybe everyone's valued input on earlier Byzantine can be the main meme for the same phenomenon. 

Byzantine is a tough nut. I’ve been trying, but the strike quality and odd Greek legends really kick my butt!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Right, and beyond the engraving (especially Komnenan /post-reform stuff, starting with trachys), you've got that many intervening versions of the Greek language.  Not knowing my Hellenic from my Byzantine, I have to guess that the full range could be comparable to the difference between Modern and Old (or at least Middle) English.  

• Like 1