The last Emperor of China's Wristwatch

Al Kowsky

• Benefactor

That's a good chunk of change, and Patek Philippe watches are top of the line, but I am sure whoever bought it did so for its historical significance.  Sill, I think I will stick with my trusty Gruen automatic, circa 1969-70, watch that I purchased new at a "job lot" store near City Hall in New York City in 1974.  This watch has been my sole time piece for nearly 50 years, lovingly maintained.  I hope it lasts the duration!  The strap, by the way, is an old twist-o-flex replacement purchased back around 1980.

D-CameraGruenwristwatch5-28-23.jpg.875a144c09ba21cdf21454dddf645233.jpg

• Like 10

• Benefactor

Wow -- "the 'highest result' for a wristwatch once belonging to an emperor." One wonders just how large the universe of "wristwatches formerly owned by emperors that have been sold at auction" actually is!  In any event, just wait until I sell my wristwatch that was once owned by the Emperor Caligula, from an old Swiss collection. It has Roman numerals and everything.

• Like 3
  • Big Smile 5
  • Laugh 5
  • Smile 2

10 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Wow -- "the 'highest result' for a wristwatch once belonging to an emperor." One wonders just how large the universe of "wristwatches formerly owned by emperors that have been sold at auction" actually is!  In any event, just wait until I sell my wristwatch that was once owned by the Emperor Caligula, from an old Swiss collection. It has Roman numerals and everything.

17th & 18th century missionaries brought clocks & watches with them to China & the Qing Dynasty emperors were fascinated with them 🤩. They became avid collectors of the European products & soon started making their own. Pictured below are some of the clocks & watches made at the imperial workshops. 

18thcen.clocksmadeatimperialworkshops.jpg.9df9486c5c6eee8f75e44e0a1fc43535.jpg

18th century clocks made at the imperial workshops.

QianlongEmperorsclockmusicbox18thcen..jpg.fcf6d82bdb6fd6ca05019a20713db613.jpg

The Qianlong Emperor's combination clock & music box, 1735-1796.

Qianlongerawatch1736-95TheMETNYC.jpg.c21b6e55c8e0f828cd61bbcdad92acc5.jpg

The Qianlong Emperor's pocket watch made at the imperial workshops, 18th century. Photo courtesy of The MET, NYC.

Edited by Al Kowsky
added a word
  • Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1