Fake corrosion - fake coins

robinjojo

• Benefactor

I'm sure that has surfaced before, but on eBay there's a seller with three versions of what appears to be the same coin die, but with varying degrees of corrosion.  I assume some caustic acid was applied to create this effect.  The seller, by the way, is from Thailand.

Version 1:

Picture 1 of 10

Picture 2 of 10

Version 2:

Picture 2 of 10

Picture 1 of 10

And Version 3:

Note how an attempt was made to create the lattice surface that results from crystallization of the metal.

Picture 1 of 10

Picture 2 of 10

Edited by robinjojo
  • Gasp 2

• robinjojo changed the title to Fake corrosion - fake coins

I don't think the first coin is of the same die as the other two, is there anything else that makes you think it's fake?

For the other two, I suspect the corrosion is actually just copied over as part of the mould and casting process. I don't think the coin has been corroded after casting. That would differentiate these two from the first, which certainly has been corroded in some form. 

• Benefactor

You could be right, but I find, despite the extensive corrosion, similarities between the first coin's obverse and the other two, but again it is problematic given the level of the first coin's deterioration.

1 hour ago, robinjojo said:

You could be right, but I find, despite the extensive corrosion, similarities between the first coin's obverse and the other two, but again it is problematic given the level of the first coin's deterioration.

Similarities in what sense? I assume the two cast fakes may be copied from genuine dies so if they're similar stylistically to the first example I don't think that's unusual. Though the first one is so deteriorated it's difficult to say whether it's stylistically normal or not.

The two cast ones also seem to have the same flan shape and centering, as you would expect of a cast, while the first one is different, indicating it's not of the same mold at the very least. 

I only focus on this because the first one is the only one with convincing surfaces, the other two are clearly cast. Even if their surfaces were treated with some acid afterwards to imitate corrosion, I don't think they would fool any of us so they're less of a concern. If the first one is actually a forgery, however, it would be much more worrying.