Woodgrain toning?

maridvnvm

I am working my way through a biscuit tin of mixed world coins. This one has a peculiar look to is and someone commented that it might be woodgrain toning. Now this is a new concept to me. What do others think?

Canada - New Brunswick, One Cent

Obv:- VICTORIA D : G: BRITT: REG : F : D:, Laureate bust left
Rev:- NEW BRUNSWICK, Crown and date within beaded circle, wreath of roses surrounds
Minted - 1861
Reference:- KM#6
Mintage:- 1,000,000

CAN_005_img.JPG

Thoughts?

Edited by maridvnvm
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• maridvnvm changed the title to Woodgrain toning?
1 hour ago, maridvnvm said:

I am working my way through a biscuit tin of mixed world coins. This one has a peculiar look to is and someone commented that it might be woodgrain toning. Now this is a new concept to me. What do others think?

Canada - New Brunswick, One Cent

Obv:- VICTORIA D : G: BRITT: REG : F : D:, Laureate bust left
Rev:- NEW BRUNSWICK, Crown and date within beaded circle, wreath of roses surrounds
Minted - 1861
Reference:- KM#6
Mintage:- 1,000,000

CAN_005_img.JPG

Thoughts?

That's a very nice woodie...I would welcome such to my hoard any day. Very nice color and condition.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kali said:

The style is popular among Indian and Lincoln Cents. I don't see it as often on world coppers.

Thanks I hadn't noticed this...

The Cupro-nickel coins from India certainly are prone from a bad mix as per my 8 anna here's a 2 Anna...Like @Paddy54 I find them quite appealing..20190501_1-2SnGz9xFKZb78RkgT5p37d5BD6nsQH.jpg.e0f62ef4630a34541decc824dfaaa830.jpg

Edited by Spaniard
  • Like 5

• Benefactor

Wow!! ... Happy Father's Day, ya coin-woodies!!

Ummm, am I allowed to toss-in an ancient? (my sister ended-up buying this coin from me ... I love that!)

=> this sweet baby has a bit of a woody-look, yes? ... I'm tossing it in, either way!! (it's a beaut!)

=> Cheers, my ol' coiners!

Pontos, Amisos AE30
109-89 B.C.

Diameter: 29.7 mm

Weight: 19.1 grams

Obverse: Helmeted head of Athena

Reverse: Perseus, holding harpa in right hand, Medusa's head in left and Medusa’s body at his feet

Ex-stevex6

duga.jpg

dugb.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

@expat....Lovely looking coin!...

The toning seems to have followed the reverse landscape with the blue sky and green vegative mountain..

Cool coin .

Certainly an extra bonus having such toning, one of my favorite improperly annealed toners

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steve said:

Wow!! ... Happy Father's Day, ya coin-woodies!!

Ummm, am I allowed to toss-in an ancient? (my sister ended-up buying this coin from me ... I love that!)

=> this sweet baby has a bit of a woody-look, yes? ... I'm tossing it in, either way!! (it's a beaut!)

=> Cheers, my ol' coiners!

Pontos, Amisos AE30
109-89 B.C.

Diameter: 29.7 mm

Weight: 19.1 grams

Obverse: Helmeted head of Athena

Reverse: Perseus, holding harpa in right hand, Medusa's head in left and Medusa’s body at his feet

Ex-stevex6

duga.jpg

dugb.jpg

Good to see you Steve wishing you and yours the best.

• Like 1

Always a pleasure Steve...Im very glad to have a means that we can communicate.  I'm so happy that this forum has evolved....I was just reading a few BS post over CT ....ragging on those who left. 

Well all I can say is I will support this forum as well its members....I always support my friends and YN's . But my tenure at CT I never once supported the forum. And won't as it's biasly politically unbalanced....and I have no need to support a forum that doesn't fit my belief's. I give you all a hat's off for standing your ground....protecting your friends....and standing up to the BS that is all to offten leveled against those who do not subscribe...! 

Good to see you Steve...you were missed!

Edited by Paddy54

• 1 year later...

I know that this thread is now quite old but I thought it was worth an update. @Paddy54 advised me to send the coiin off for grading. As an ancient collector the whole concept of slabbing a coin is alien to me. The process is not simple from the UK but I decided to have a go. The coin has recently been returned from NGC. I find taking a photo through the slab to be relatively difficult but here it is.

Canada005img.JPG.059cf7cbaf7e3a5a2f9bc040d8b95d64.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, maridvnvm said:

I know that this thread is now quite old but I thought it was worth an update. @Paddy54 advised me to send the coiin off for grading. As an ancient collector the whole concept of slabbing a coin is alien to me. The process is not simple from the UK but I decided to have a go. The coin has recently been returned from NGC. I find taking a photo through the slab to be relatively difficult but here it is.

Nice example of a "woody", technically known as an improperly annealed planchet.

Hello @Qcumbor. I find the whole world of Modern coinage quite alien. The story behind my Modern coins is that I was trying to get my son, who was about 10 years old at the time, into coins of some form. His piano teacher had a tin of mixed world coins (weighing about 1 Kg) that she offered to me to buy. She was going to throw them out if they didn't have any value. I bought them without any knowledge of world coins offering what I thought might be fair market value (about £250 if I recall correctly). My son however had no interest whatsoever and the tin sat unopened for over 10 years. My son has started collecting modern coins of his own volition, with a focus on Dutch coins (which is another story). While doing some sorting I stumbled across the tin and we decided to work through it together. This was one of the "finds" in the tin. We are working through the tin and selling them on with the funds allowing us both to fund our own collecting themes.

Edited by maridvnvm
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, maridvnvm said:

Hello @Qcumbor. I find the whole world of Modern coinage quite alien. The story behind my Modern coins is that I was trying to get my son, who was about 10 years old at the time, into coins of some form. His piano teacher had a tin of mixed world coins (weighing about 1 Kg) that she offered to me to buy. She was going to throw them out if they didn't have any value. I bought them without any knowledge of world coins offering what I thought might be fair market value (about £250 if I recall correctly). My son however had no interest whatsoever and the tin sat unopened for over 10 years. My son has started collecting modern coins of his own volition, with a focus on Dutch coins (which is another story). While doing some sorting I stumbled across the tin and we decided to work through it together. This was one of the "finds" in the tin. We are working through the tin and selling them on with the funds allowing us both to fund our own collecting themes.

Nice that it had something of value. 1kg of world coins is quite a lot of hay around the needles.

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2023 at 3:51 AM, maridvnvm said:

Junt now catching up on the thread ...nice coin I hope the OP is happy with it graded. I personally find the specimen very eye appealing...nice find