O THOSE USURPERS....EVER HEAR OF THIS GUY...JOTAPIAN?

ominus1

Apparently rare due to very few coins minted other than the OP.

From Wildwinds: Jotapian led a short-lived revolt in Syria in the autumn of AD 249. The extreme rarity of his coins indicates that the revolt was brief, and the crude style tells us that he did not control a major mint. Bland ("Coinage of Jotapian") cites 18 antoniniani in total

This from WiKi

Antoninianus-Jotapian-RIC 0002a,var.jpg

Jotapian
Usurper of the Roman Empire
Jotapian coin. His coins are the only source for his names, M. F. RV., which could be expanded as Marcus Fulvius Rufus.
Reign    c. 249 (against Philip the Arab)
Predecessor    Philip the Arab
Successor    Philip the Arab
Born    Near East
Died    c. 249
Names
M. F. Ru. Jotapianus
Regnal name
Imperator Caesar Marcus F. Ru. Jotapianus Augustus

Edited by expat
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, expat said:

Apparently rare due to very few coins minted other than the OP.

From Wildwinds: Jotapian led a short-lived revolt in Syria in the autumn of AD 249. The extreme rarity of his coins indicates that the revolt was brief, and the crude style tells us that he did not control a major mint. Bland ("Coinage of Jotapian") cites 18 antoniniani in total

This from WiKi

Jotapian
Usurper of the Roman Empire
Jotapian coin. His coins are the only source for his names, M. F. RV., which could be expanded as Marcus Fulvius Rufus.
Reign    c. 249 (against Philip the Arab)
Predecessor    Philip the Arab
Successor    Philip the Arab
Born    Near East
Died    c. 249
Names
M. F. Ru. Jotapianus
Regnal name
Imperator Caesar Marcus F. Ru. Jotapianus Augustus

..ya know, there's never really seems to be too many  boring moments in coin collecting...:P

• Like 1

• Benefactor

For $3000 it would be a keen investment, though I doubt that will be the hammer price. These things have a tendency to get out of hand. Apparently this fellow claimed descent from Alexander the Great, and was mentioned by Aurelius Victor, Polemius Silvius, and Zosimus in their assorted works. Supposedly the tax exactions of Julius Priscus, brother of Phillip the Arab and holding the title of Rector Orientis, led Jotapian to revolt and take Antioch, but ultimately he was killed by his own soldiers.

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 4

Jotapian is one of my grail coins - I've been hoping to spot one in a group lot on eBay for the last few years, but no luck so far.

Roma sold 3(!) in their last XXVII sale - the nicest being this one that sold for £12k.

Catalogue Image

• Like 4
  • Shock 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Harry G said:

Jotapian is one of my grail coins - I've been hoping to spot one in a group lot on eBay for the last few years, but no luck so far.

Roma sold 3(!) in their last XXVII sale - the nicest being this one that sold for £12k.

Catalogue Image

If you can find a Jotapianus in a group lot or uncleaned hoard that would be great! 😉