The Hercules Mastai-Reghetti is Getting a New Look

The largest ancient gilded bronze of antiquity is finally getting a professional restoration 😊. The bronze was poorly restored in the 19th century & coated with wax. The new restoration will remove the wax & enhance the gilding, & should be completed by December of this year. An inscription on the marble base indicates this towering bronze (13 feet tall) was struck by lightning in antiquity & ceremoniously buried in reverence to the Roman nocturnal god of thunder, Summanus. The bronze was discovered on the property of Pietro Reghetti in 1864, & added to the Vatican Museum collection. See link below.

https://apnews.com/article/vatican-hercules-statue-restoration-7ef7141d4d8abde9f473d6a9134a11db

Hercules_bronze_in_the_Vatican_Museums.jpg.916d4b1ff650e9f6737271de4221bc2c.jpg

Hercules-1.webp.8dd62dfe565f78c788aa837e18c89692.webp

Hercules-4.webp.ce0e573cc91a22bb9629151d6fd5b24e.webp

• Like 4
  • Cool Think 1

It’s astonishing that this survived this infant. There is another one, the Boarium Heracles found at the Forum Boarium which is rather similar. Seems to have been a somewhat popular type if two colossal gilded bronzes of a similar design survived. 

the picture with the worker on it really puts this monster into perspective. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Al Kowsky said:

Despite being smaller (about 8 ft. tall) than the Hercules Mastai-Reghetti, the Boarium Hercules is a masterpiece of sculpture ☺️.

Shame about the missing parts, but we can’t complain about having a largely complete gilded bronze! Probably less than a literal handful in existence.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hotwheelsearl said:

Shame about the missing parts, but we can’t complain about having a largely complete gilded bronze! Probably less than a literal handful in existence.

One thing that really annoys about me about the Hercules Mastai-Reghetti, is the fig leaf that covers his genitals 🤨. This was obviously added to satisfy the prudish Roman Catholic Pope 🙄.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Kowsky said:

One thing that really annoys about me about the Hercules Mastai-Reghetti, is the fig leaf that covers his genitals 🤨. This was obviously added to satisfy the prudish Roman Catholic Pope 🙄.

I do wonder if the jewels are still intact and not a victim of the Great Castration

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hotwheelsearl said:

I do wonder if the jewels are still intact and not a victim of the Great Castration

I seriously doubt the "jewels" are still extant 🤔, however, the bronze could be left with nothing there or a suitable replacement could be added with an explanation. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

When I first looked at this thread I thought the statue was fake, since any first-century Roman sculpture certainly would NOT have had a fig leaf covering this area.  So if the statue IS authentic, I too would assume that the fig leaf was added centuries later.  Maybe the restoration will include removal of the fig leaf.

• Like 2