Roman wars with Parthia

Valentinian

What should you collect? Anything you like! 

Long ago I thought references to particular Roman victories were interesting and I decided to collect them, along with coins from many other themes. Wars against Persia are mentioned on many coins. Gradually I expanded the focus from Roman imperial coins mentioning victories against the Parthians to include some relevant Roman provincial coins, and even a few Parthian and Sasanian coins of the foes of the Romans.

Now I announcing my new website on “Coins and History of the Roman Wars with Persia in the Second and Third Centuries”:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Persian/Persia.html

Here is one of the coins on the page:
SeptimiusSeverus1VICTPARTHICAE6373n8474.jpg.88ca88a9b50604586d221adcbc37c6fd.jpg
Septimius Severus, 193-211

A denarius. 18 mm. 3.40 grams. Struck 198.

VICT PARTHICAE, Victory advancing left holding wreath and trophy, captive below.

RIC 514 from an eastern mint (possibly Laodicea near Antioch) 

The obverse legend ends "PART MAX" for "Parthicus Maximus"
a title he was awarded for his Parthian victories.

Take a (long) moment to go to the page:

Show us a coin related to Roman wars with Persia!

Edited by Valentinian
  • Like 19
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 6

This is a fantastic new page, @Valentinian!  And a theme I find particularly interesting.  Probably my most impressive related coin is my Antioch mint Victoria Part issue for Valerian:

image.jpeg.d07ae1a32b6d698e56e7981808b194b9.jpeg

As far as I know it is only the second known example.  It appears to be a later issue than the same type for Valerian II (who died in 257). I suspect it is anticipatory of the victory that failed so spectacularly to manifest itself.  If these were among the coins that Valerian took with him on his expedition, that would perhaps explain their scarcity. Or perhaps they were simply recalled due to embarrassment? or never released in any quantity for the same reason?

Another related coin is this sestertius of Nero, which depicts his Parthian triumphal arch (celebrating not very much, as you discuss on your page):

image.jpeg.a501f39483b4cfe01258d3fe99bb1b20.jpeg

Some related provincials include this one of Commodus featuring Abgar VIII of Osroene/Edessa:

image.jpeg.29a4c0d79dc6967e6eca1c4a030498d7.jpeg

(Is the cross a Christian symbol?  One might assume not, but it may in fact be... Abgar VIII was reputed to have converted to Christianity.)

Here's Severus Alexander from Nisibis (perhaps linked to his campaign? The portrait is quite mature):

image.jpeg.e44dc29611972556ecbcf1a10cf28864.jpeg

And this coin of Gordian III from Carrhae:

image.jpeg.0c46be3a1a20b5751c0683c8f64d36a4.jpeg

Last, I have to include my favourite Ardashir I, an obol from his earliest issue from the Parthian province of Persis, before his audacious takeover of the Parthian empire:

image.jpeg.500968762fb9feb93a2d1027dee4aa3b.jpeg

I have lots of other related coins, but I'll shut up now. 😄 Thanks for the excellent new resource!

• Like 17

Terrific addition to your website @Valentinian.  I was just on it a couple days ago - your site really clarified "fractional radiates" for me.  Thank you.  

As for the Wars with Parthia coins, I have one rather unusual issue to offer - a kind of "Peace with Parthia" (or "Economic War with Parthia") sestertius issued by Antoninus Pius early in his reign.  My specimen is in horrible condition, but these don't come along very often, so I feel lucky to have it.  That is a personification of Parthia on the reverse - various notes on the purpose of this issue are below:

AntoninusPius-Sest.PARTHIAquiverNov18(0).jpg.1089b77d1cd10f57c593136a285b32ec.jpg

Antoninus Pius Æ Sestertius (139 A.D.)   Aurum Coronarium Issue Rome Mint [ANTONI]NVS • AV[G PIVS P P], laureate head right / [PARTHIA], S-[C, COS II in ex.] Parthia standing left, holding crown,  bow & quiver on ground. RIC 586 (R); BMCRE 1191. (24.39 grams / 30 mm) eBay Dec. 2018 Cook's  

Sear: "The remarkable inclusion of a rival state in this series commemorating provincial tax relief would seem to suggest that the Parthians were subject to some form of financial obligation to the Roman government consequent of Trajan's capture of Ctesiphon  in AD 115 and the loss of the celebrated golden throne  of the Arsacids" (via FORVM)

"Hadrian's successor Antoninus Pius also issued a 'provincial' series of coins, in this case to celebrate the remission of half of the aurum coronarium.  This was a demand made by the emperor on the communities of the Empire...at the time of his accession...Antoninus' remission of half of this burdensome tax...was greeted with much enthusiasm & led to the production of an extensive series of aes coinage depicting crown-bearing personifications of various provinces..."  David Sear, Roman  Coins & their Values, Vol. 1, Mil. Ed

Notes:  Obverse dot present after ANTONINVS (difficult to see ) / Reverse flaw on top serif of  the "S" in "S-C". 

Obverse / Reverse Die-Match: Classical Numismatic Group, Inc. Electronic Auction 133; Lot 237; 15.02.2006 Reverse Die-Match: Vcoins GB Collection #520678

• Like 14

19 hours ago, Valentinian said:

What should you collect? Anything you like! 

Long ago I thought references to particular Roman victories were interesting and I decided to collect them, along with coins from many other themes. Wars against Persia are mentioned on many coins. Gradually I expanded the focus from Roman imperial coins mentioning victories against the Parthians to include some relevant Roman provincial coins, and even a few Parthian and Sasanian coins of the foes of the Romans.

Now I announcing my new website on “Coins and History of the Roman Wars with Persia in the Second and Third Centuries”:

Here is one of the coins on the page:
SeptimiusSeverus1VICTPARTHICAE6373n8474.jpg.88ca88a9b50604586d221adcbc37c6fd.jpg
Septimius Severus, 193-211

A denarius. 18 mm. 3.40 grams. Struck 198.

VICT PARTHICAE, Victory advancing left holding wreath and trophy, captive below.

RIC 514 from an eastern mint (possibly Laodicea near Antioch) 

The obverse legend ends "PART MAX" for "Parthicus Maximus"
a title he was awarded for his Parthian victories.

Take a (long) moment to go to the page:

Show us a coin related to Roman wars with Persia!

I enjoyed your well constructed & informative new website 🤩! Pictured below is the only Parthian coin left in my collection. The Parthian empire reached their apogee under Mithradates II, when they controlled territories west of the Euphrates River. Mithradates felt it was important to make contact with the Romans who were a growing threat & advancing from the east. He sent Orobazus, a high ranking official to meet with General Sulla, marking the first contact with Rome. Their meeting wasn't successful in the eyes of Mithradates, & Orobazus was executed 😦.

2491169-009AKCollection.jpg.42c9e4bc44ead7b636bf407b8dfae5f2.jpg

PARTHIAN KINGDOM. Mithradates II, circa 121-91 BC. Ekbatana Mint. AR Drachm: 3.91 gm, 21 mm, 12 h. Obverse: Mithradates with diadem & neck torque. Reverse: Arsaces seated holding bow. Sellwood 24.9; Shore 69.

Edited by Al Kowsky
correction
  • Like 13

• Benefactor

Splendid resource @Valentinian I have a Lucius Verus riding down foe on an As that is somewhat rare and bears the obverse legend ARMENIACVS. This is an interesting type as Lucius was not an active campaigner and generally let his generals lead the forces assigned to him. 

Lucius Verus, 161-169 A.D. Type: AE As, 25.5 mm 12.1 grams, R1 according to ACSearch

Obverse: L VERVS AVG ARMENIACVS, Bare-Headed Bust Facing Right

Reverse: TRP IIII IMP II COS III, Emperor on Horseback Charging right holding spear, riding down foe.

Reference: TBD, not in Wildwinds - edit: RIC 1404

lverus1.jpg.d9f9cc85e40c1938999ad732fc1ffb63.jpg

lverus2.jpg.ef0124b6f96292f9e45161ce87257e65.jpg

• Like 13

image.png.a2d19fd74d65c49851ce89f43e3a59e4.pngimage.png.b2b26b4ddf019fff7a8ebe6ce2704f88.png

Bronze coin (AE as) minted during the reign of LUCIUS VERUS in 163 A.D. Obv. L.VERVS.AVG.ARMENIACVS.: bare hd. r. Rev. TR.P.IIII.IMP.II.COS.III.S.C.: Victory walking l. RCS #1558. RICIII #1392. DVM #46/2.

image.png.8bb32b9e31521713c2418e9efd9ce0d2.pngimage.png.77a0d11eb811af9260b1d8e12a61b372.png

Silver coin (AR Denarius) minted at Rome during the reign of LUCIUS VERUS in 164 A.D. Obv. L.VERVS.AVG.ARMENIACVS.: bare hd. r. Rev. TR.P.IIII.IMP.II.COS.II.: Mars, in military dress, stg. r., holding spear and resting l. hand on shield. RCS #1540. RSCII #229 pg.231. RICIII #515 pg.255. BMC #282. DVM #15/1. RCSVII #5355.

• Like 11

I have made two corrections to the new site:  http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Persian/Persia.html

One concerns the Parthian coin usually attributed to Parthamaspates (It might not be. Thank you, Parthicus) and the other concerns a coin almost always attributed to Carrhae but now known to belong to Carrhae (Thank you, Terence).

My new comments are reproduced here:

When Trajan invaded Parthia he brought along a Parthian prince to install as puppet ruler. Parthamaspates had been an exile in Rome. The next coin has been attributed to Parthamaspates in the main reference works, but see comments below.

Parthamaspates0861s600.jpg.45f8bac38c74df3ef9e01572b3c96ee2.jpg

Parthamaspates, 116.
Drachm. 24-18 mm. 3.69 grams.
The short beard acknowledges his youth. 
A crude seated Parthian archer holding out a bow over a stool with Greek lettering around.
After the capture of Ctesiphon and Babylon, revolts in captured cities and in Armenia, along with the regrouping of Parthian cavalry which had not been destroyed, forced Trajan to withdraw. The Parthian Osrow (Osroes) rapidly dethroned Parthamaspates who fled to the Romans and was granted the small buffer Kingdom of Osroene (Osrhoene) centered around Edessa. 
Sellwood 81.1. Shore 423.

On CoinTalk after I first announced this site, the member Parthicus wrote, "Assar's argument against Parthamaspates as the issuer of S. 81 coins is as follows: Parthamaspates had influence only in and around Ctesiphon (which was not a mint city for the Parthians), where he was protected by the Romans. However, the S. 81 coins were probably struck at Ekbatana, in Media on the Iranian plateau, far from Parthamaspates' zone of control and a region controlled by enemies of the Romans and their puppet." So, maybe this is not Parthamaspates after all. He closed his comment with "The situation is messy and far from certain; in other words, perfectly normal for Parthian numismatics."

In April 217 Caracalla was assassinated on the road from Edessa to Carrhae where he was intending to visit the temple of Lunus. 

Caracalla5Carrhae2358.jpg.26be7ee2dc3264ba9ee9df0a64e586a3.jpg

Caracalla, issued at Edessa.
Small. 17 mm. 3.80 grams.
Caracalla's head right, laureate.
M AVR ANTONINVS PF AVG (clockwise from 12:30)
Turetted head of Tyche right
COL MET ANTONINIANA (clockwise from 12:00)
BMCG Mesopotamia, Carrhae 16-33 (with minor legend variations).

Note:  Until 2016 this was always attributed to Carrhae, and still is by dealers. However, an article by Edward Dandrow in the Numismatic Chronicle of 2016 convincingly attributes this type to Edessa. He notes that the original attribution to Carrhae was made from a single hard-to-read coin in 1838 (the legend of which was thought to end "CA" for CArrhae) and uncritically repeated ever since. 

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Valentinian said:

I have made two corrections to the new site:  http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Persian/Persia.html

One concerns the Parthian coin usually attributed to Parthamaspates (It might not be. Thank you, Parthicus) and the other concerns a coin almost always attributed to Carrhae but now known to belong to Carrhae (Thank you, Terence).

My new comments are reproduced here:

When Trajan invaded Parthia he brought along a Parthian prince to install as puppet ruler. Parthamaspates had been an exile in Rome. The next coin has been attributed to Parthamaspates in the main reference works, but see comments below.

Parthamaspates0861s600.jpg.45f8bac38c74df3ef9e01572b3c96ee2.jpg

Parthamaspates, 116.
Drachm. 24-18 mm. 3.69 grams.
The short beard acknowledges his youth. 
A crude seated Parthian archer holding out a bow over a stool with Greek lettering around.
After the capture of Ctesiphon and Babylon, revolts in captured cities and in Armenia, along with the regrouping of Parthian cavalry which had not been destroyed, forced Trajan to withdraw. The Parthian Osrow (Osroes) rapidly dethroned Parthamaspates who fled to the Romans and was granted the small buffer Kingdom of Osroene (Osrhoene) centered around Edessa. 
Sellwood 81.1. Shore 423.

On CoinTalk after I first announced this site, the member Parthicus wrote, "Assar's argument against Parthamaspates as the issuer of S. 81 coins is as follows: Parthamaspates had influence only in and around Ctesiphon (which was not a mint city for the Parthians), where he was protected by the Romans. However, the S. 81 coins were probably struck at Ekbatana, in Media on the Iranian plateau, far from Parthamaspates' zone of control and a region controlled by enemies of the Romans and their puppet." So, maybe this is not Parthamaspates after all. He closed his comment with "The situation is messy and far from certain; in other words, perfectly normal for Parthian numismatics."

In April 217 Caracalla was assassinated on the road from Edessa to Carrhae where he was intending to visit the temple of Lunus. 

Caracalla5Carrhae2358.jpg.26be7ee2dc3264ba9ee9df0a64e586a3.jpg

Caracalla, issued at Edessa.
Small. 17 mm. 3.80 grams.
Caracalla's head right, laureate.
M AVR ANTONINVS PF AVG (clockwise from 12:30)
Turetted head of Tyche right
COL MET ANTONINIANA (clockwise from 12:00)
BMCG Mesopotamia, Carrhae 16-33 (with minor legend variations).

Note:  Until 2016 this was always attributed to Carrhae, and still is by dealers. However, an article by Edward Dandrow in the Numismatic Chronicle of 2016 convincingly attributes this type to Edessa. He notes that the original attribution to Carrhae was made from a single hard-to-read coin in 1838 (the legend of which was thought to end "CA" for CArrhae) and uncritically repeated ever since. 

As a follow-up to your post, pictured below is a Tet of Caracalla struck at the Carrhae Mint from my collection.

Prieur820AWKCollection.jpg.d933892a6c8323a9f9405c75caecae73.jpg

Carrhae-Mesopotamia. Caracalla, AD 198-217 (struck 215-217). Billon Tetradrachm: 14.72 gm, 27 mm. Prieur 820.

• Like 10

This is a very interesting theme.

I have a few that can be traced to historic battles in the east. I hope that this counts....:-

The eastern IMP VIII series of Septimius Severus contains the type "ARAB ADIABENIC, Victory advancing left holding wreath and palm", which seems to refer to victory over Pescennius Niger. To hide the fact that this was a civil war, it is phrased as victory over Arabs and Adiabenians, who aided Niger's cause. It is listed under IMP VII in the references but the IMP VII issues doesn't exist and is in fact a mis-reading of an IMP VIII coin. This isn't the only error in the references as RIC 466 is described as Victory with wreath and trophy whereas this type is Victory with wreath and palm. RIC and BMCRE both cite Cohen 52 (5 Francs) for this coin.

I have obtained a few examples, each of which has it's own reason for being in my collection.

The first coin matches the description of the Cohen coin and thus explains the mis-reading. Other examples of this obverse die confirm the reading as IMP VII-I however.

Obv:– L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VII-I, Laureate head right
Rev:– ARAB ADIABENIC, Victory advancing left holding wreath and (palm)
Minted in Laodicea-ad-Mare. A.D. 196-197
Ref:– Cohen 52 corr, RIC 466 corr.

This coin also seems to be missing the palm, which is confirmed via a die match.

RI_132ft_img~0.jpg

The second coin is a clearly recognisable IMP VIII

RI_064ou_img.jpg

This third example is also IMP VII-I but with the R of ARAB corrected from a B

RI_064fi_img.jpg

My fourth example is missing the A from ADABENIC

RI_064tk_img.jpg

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

I have the following note from a discussion with Curtis Clay back in 2007.... we were discussing....

"the earliest titles on the Eastern denarii after the capture of Ctesiphon, IMP XI PAR AR AD.

The Eastern New-Style mint had taken to copying its legends and most of its types from Rome-mint coins, but obviously it heard the news from Ctesiphon before the Roman mint did, and it had to improvise, since it couldn't just stop making coins until it saw how Rome would react to the news!

So, we get IMP XI, and Parthicus only, presumably the form of the title that Septimius had accepted on the spot, added to the old titles from 195, Arabicus and Adiabenicus.

At Rome, the Senate amplified Parthicus to Parthicus Maximus, and the mint used just this new title on the coins, IMP XI PART MAX, not thinking it worthwhile to revive the old victory titles.  The Eastern mint followed suit as soon as it became aware of the Roman practice.

Actually, the very earliest form of the new Eastern titulature occurs on I think only one obverse die"

Here is that obverse die, which occurs with 3 reverse types.....

Obv:– L SEP SEVERVS PER AVG PIV IMP XI PAR P M, laureate head right
Rev:– AR AD TR P VI / COS II P P, Two captives seated back to back at the foot of a trophy
Eastern mint. A.D. 198
Reference:– BMCRE page 280 Sword, citing RD page 105. RIC 494b corr.

Slightly double struck on the reverse.

RI_064ox_img.jpg

Rev:– AR AD [T]R P VI COS II P P, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
Eastern mint. A.D. 198
Reference:– BMCRE page 280 *, citing RD page 105. RIC 494a corr.

RI_064nk_img~0.jpg

Rev:– SALVTI AVGG, Salus seated left feeding snake coiled around altar
Eastern mint. A.D. 198
Reference:– BMCRE page 281 Note, citing RD page 102. RIC 497b corr.

RI_064ow_img.jpg

• Like 9