Has anyone dealt with NB-Numismatics in Belgium recently?

DonnaML

• Benefactor

On April 13, almost two weeks ago, I ordered a Roman Imperial coin via MA-Shops from the dealer NB-Numismatics, located in Belgium. The proprietor's name is either Billiet Noel or Noel Billiet; it's not clear which! I believe he also has stores both at vcoins and on Ebay. It's not unusual for auction houses to take a long time to ship orders, but I'm used to retail dealers notifying me of shipment within a few days, at most, of the order.  Not only have I received no such notification, but the dealer has completely failed to respond to either of my two messages sent to him through MA-Shops inquiring about the status of my order. Nor is there any indication on the dealer's MA-Shops page that he's away on vacation or that the store is temporarily closed for any other reason, such as illness or a death in the family, etc. In fact, he appears to be continuing to post new inventory.

So I sent an inquiry the other day to Service@ma-shops.com asking them to try to find out what's going on. I haven't received any response to that message either.

At this point, I'm sufficiently annoyed at the general non-responsiveness that if I could get a refund, I would go ahead and take it.  The coin I ordered isn't so special that I couldn't find something similar somewhere else.

Has anyone had any dealings recently with NB-Numismatics, or any problems?

What would you do at this point if you were in my position?

Many thanks.

Donna

• Like 1
  • Cry 3
  • Popcorn 1

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

On April 13, almost two weeks ago, I ordered a Roman Imperial coin via MA-Shops from the dealer NB-Numismatics, located in Belgium. The proprietor's name is either Billiet Noel or Noel Billiet; it's not clear which! I believe he also has stores both at vcoins and on Ebay. It's not unusual for auction houses to take a long time to ship orders, but I'm used to retail dealers notifying me of shipment within a few days, at most, of the order.  Not only have I received no such notification, but the dealer has completely failed to respond to either of my two messages sent to him through MA-Shops inquiring about the status of my order. Nor is there any indication on the dealer's MA-Shops page that he's away on vacation or that the store is temporarily closed for any other reason, such as illness or a death in the family, etc. In fact, he appears to be continuing to post new inventory.

So I sent an inquiry the other day to Service@ma-shops.com asking them to try to find out what's going on. I haven't received any response to that message either.

At this point, I'm sufficiently annoyed at the general non-responsiveness that if I could get a refund, I would go ahead and take it.  The coin I ordered isn't so special that I couldn't find something similar somewhere else.

Has anyone had any dealings recently with NB-Numismatics, or any problems?

What would you do at this point if you were in my position?

Many thanks.

Donna

I can't tell you anything about the dealer - because I don't know anything (holiday or other reasons). 

But the service of the MA shop usually reacts within a very short time. Customer service is (actually) very important here. 

Donna, please be so kind and send me your e-mail address and your user account name in the MA shop by PN here. I will make sure that you are contacted tomorrow!

Please send me the PN to my private account @Prieure de Sion or my Shop Account @YOTHR

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor
31 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I can't tell you anything about the dealer - because I don't know anything (holiday or other reasons). 

But the service of the MA shop usually reacts within a very short time. Customer service is (actually) very important here. 

Donna, please be so kind and send me your e-mail address and your user account name in the MA shop by PN here. I will make sure that you are contacted tomorrow!

Please send me the PN to my private account @Prieure de Sion or my Shop Account @YOTHR

Thank you very much. I just sent a private message to you with the information you requested.

• Like 3

Hi Donna,

I recently purchased a modest (~$100) item from them.  Purchased on March 7. tracking information indicated coin saw shipped on March 14, received safely by me on March 30. So no problems with my purchase. 

That said, the non-responsiveness is pretty unprofessional.  I would hesitate to purchase again from him/them given that information.  Plenty of other options out there (usually!). 

• Like 2

Fwiw, I won't deal with him (one of very few on  my no lost) as he really messed me about on ebay. Sold a coin to me, I paid for  it, didn't hear back,  turned out  he sold it (I think on vcoins) at a higher price. Wouldn't return my money so I had to go through the  wait (was well  over a month) for the claim to process, Wasn't a cheap coin, so I was well out of  pocket. Charged me shipping  etc too of course!

• Like 2
  • Gasp 1
  • Shock 3

Best of luck, @DonnaML, and cordial vicarious thanks to @Prieure de Sion.  Next time I get something via MA Coins, I'll keep you in mind!

This is likely to be of minimal relevance at best, but I've dealt extensively with another Belgian firm, Jean Elsen es ses Fils.  They have an extensive, very competent and friendly staff, but have a now-extensive history of wranglings with US Customs to actually get my coins sent (all the way) to me.  I'm currently still waiting on a lot, for which they've promised a full refund in a worst case.  Sorta like the coin, so in their case, at least, it's still worth holding out on for a little longer.

• Like 3

Never had any problems with this seller. Only one funny anecdote: at the end of February 2023, I noticed on his ebay store a nice coin…which I bought from him 2 years ago on Vcoins. I asked him what was going on, and here’s his answer:

hallo,
It is very simple,I have over 5000 coins on 6 sites.
If a coin is sold,I have to delete it from the other 5 sites.
Ebay is the most difficult one to do this.
It has not been deleted, must have forgotten it.
If you send me the stocknumber (at the backside) I will delete it immediately,
thank you,
Billiet Noël

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

• Benefactor

Thanks to the much-appreciated intervention of @Prieure de Sion on my behalf, I finally received a response from MA-Shops' customer service manager to my inquiry. At my request, the manager then informed NB-Numismatics that if the coin hadn't been sent yet, I wanted a refund. I simply didn't feel like waiting any longer, and it's not as if the coin I had purchased is an unusual type; I can find something similar someplace else if I want to. As it turns out, the coin had not been sent, so I received a notice that the amount had been refunded to my credit card. Followed by this note from the dealer:

Hallo,
I am sorry for my late reply,but I was some days in the hospital with cardiac problems and covid-19.
My son,who is not in the coin business,did the shipment of the orders during that time.
He did not shop your order,because he could not find it.
I have 3 safes at home,2 safes in the bank,a stockplace for my stock and boxes and trays for the coinshows.
I came home yesterday,and received a call from Mr Heideman from Mashops.
He told me,if the coin was not shipped yet,to refund you, which I did with paypal.
In my 11 years on Mashops,I have never experienced this before.
So I give you my appologies,
sorry again,
Billiet Noël
NB-Numismatics

If only I had been informed of the dealer's illness, I would, of course, have understood completely. What he probably should have done was have his son post something on his home page letting people know what was going on and that there might be delays. It's not hearing anything for weeks that's so frustrating.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

This is a late addition, but I wanted to add that I purchased from that same vendor in Early March and everything went smoothly. No issues at all. I even communicated with the dealer and received a quick and cordial response. I would order from them again without hesitation.

But it sounds like you have your answer, now, @DonnaML, which is great.

I hope he recovers his health and continues his great service.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

Next time I get something via MA Coins, I'll keep you in mind!

Thanks, nice to hear - but if I remember you collecting wonderful coins of the middle age - and I have only greek an (more) roman coins. In my next life - I will collect coins of your epoch ... and again - your coins you show us every week are beautiful and very interesting. It's not my collecting / shop area - but I like it. 😉 

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

I finally received a response from MA-Shops' customer service manager to my inquiry.

That's fine to hear... 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I recently purchased something from them on eBay and no responses. Is there some kind of direct contact info someone can give me? Thank you

I don't have an account here but I can provide an email if you need to send private messages.

Thank you!