Unknown Coin - Antiochos II Theos ??? or Ionia??

Topcat7

Bronze 19mm., 4.83gm.

I really don't know much about this coin.

The obverse appears to have the Laureate head of Apollo (?) right, while the reverse appears to have a tripod with (possibly) the letters 'TAI' above. There could also be a monogram or the letter 'A' on the right, and a letter (monogram) on the left.

More than that, I am afraid I cannot add. 

I am hoping that someone may be able to identify this coin, or at least provide some information that would help me to go further.

Thank you.

Magical Snap - 2023.04.02 10.11 - 008.jpg

Magical Snap - 2023.04.02 10.14 - 009.jpg

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 3

The tripod looks very like the coins of  Kroton, which might mean this is a daughter city.

Hyperon (a very obscure settlement nearby)  produced bronzes of the weight of your coin and very similar designs.

Probably a long-shot but thought I'd mention  it. Here's an example though there are different iterations of the tripod.  Not my coin.

image00077.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

The tripod looks very like the coins of  Kroton, which might mean this is a daughter city.

Hyperon (a very obscure settlement nearby)  produced bronzes of the weight of your coin and very similar designs.

Probably a long-shot but thought I'd mention  it. Here's an example though there are different iterations of the tripod.  Not my coin.

image00077.jpg

@Deinomenid Thank you for the contribution. As a result I have looked at Kroton, Bruttium, Sicily, (et. al.) without success.

5 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

Hyperon is the best fit of area mints for the coin. There are a few  very similar on coinarchives. Kroton has the "same" obv and rev  but on different coins. But your arch suggestion  looks a better fit!

@Deinomenid    Can you please confirm the spelling of "HYPERON" as I am having difficulty locating it.

3 hours ago, Topcat7 said:

Can you please confirm the spelling of "HYPERON" as I am having difficulty locating it.

Look for Hyporon (or Mystia)

The problem is that there are many similar coins, even in Bruttium you have another one : Petelia, and outside even more: Medeon, Macedon etc.

You have to find a perfect match with your letters or you will never be sure.

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @shanxi - my apologies for the typo.

This search shows some very similar coins.  

This version has some too

Wildwinds also has a couple of Kroton bronzes that look similar, on one side. But this is all only of use  if that is a tripod.

And this -

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/bruttium/mystia_and_hyporon/i.html

• Like 1