Another coin to add in my Dacia subcollection

ambr0zie

While I have never seriously tried to collect the Geto-Dacian RR imitations, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Phil Davis' work on these coins (rrimitaions.ancients.info). On the introductory page Phil discusses why these coins should not be called "Celtic".  Thank you, Phil, for putting your work online for the rest of us to enjoy!

Geto-Dacian, Danube Region. AR Denarius (21mm, 3.53g, 8h). Contemporary Geto-Dacian imitation of a Roman Republican denarius. Imitates Q. Titius (circa 90 BC). Obv: Head of Liber (or Bacchus) right, wearing ivy wreath, linear border. Rev: ΘΠIΠ, Pegasus springing right from pedestal, linear border. Ref: Davis Class A, Group Ib, C28; Cf. prototype Crawford 341/2. Sydenham 692. Titia 2; Same dies as CNG 103 Lot 423 and NN Auction 3, Lot 4. 

image.jpeg.d0fff5e28bb573abdcd0d33ebad72afd.jpeg

Edited by Edessa
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

9 hours ago, Edessa said:

Here is one that seems to be Scarce to Rare. Another somewhat random pickup from the great online flea market back in the day.

Hadrian, AD 117-138. Æ As (26mm, 8.16g, 6h). Struck AD 134-138. Obv: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P; Bare headed bust of Hadrian, right, draped. Rev: D A-CIA; Dacia, wearing tunic and cloak, seated left on rock, holding standard, sloped upwards to left in right hand, and curved sword upwards in left hand, [SC] in ex. Ref: BMCRE 1741 (Pl 94, #13;  BMC Collection Online Museum Number R.8834 die match); RIC II.3 1663 (pictures the BM specimen). Very Fine, nice brown patina, SC on reverse off flan. BM example is 9.62g. Extremely Rare; rated R3 (highest rarity) by RIC II.3. One example on CoinArchives (Roma 96 (5 May 2022), Lot 1122 hammered for 480 GBP. Roma example is also a die match and is 10.45g).

image.jpeg.8bed1b79a6ad33ad70ac51624512c150.jpeg

This issue is so important because it shows 2 aspects of Roman Dacia:

- Dacia undergoes 2 main administrative (re)organizations under Hadrian -- the first in 119/20 when the territory gets separated into Dacia Superior and Dacia Inferior and the 124 to 130s reorganization when Dacia Superior becomes Dacia Apulensis and Dacia Porolissensis.

- Dacian units start being a common fixture in the Roman army under Hadrian and in the 2nd century there are auxiliary posts of Dacian-origin soldiers in Britannia (guarding the wall) and as far east and south as Arabia and Numidia. At the same time 2 separate legions were stationed in Dacia: IV Flavia Felix and XIII Gemina. You see that in the reverse representation, but does it represent the auxiliary Dacian soldiers of Rome stationed East and West or the Roman soldiers stationed in the Dacian province(s)? A very interesting and historical coin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool Think 1

11 hours ago, Edessa said:

Here is one that seems to be Scarce to Rare. Another somewhat random pickup from the great online flea market back in the day.

Hadrian, AD 117-138. Æ As (26mm, 8.16g, 6h). Struck AD 134-138. Obv: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P; Bare headed bust of Hadrian, right, draped. Rev: D A-CIA; Dacia, wearing tunic and cloak, seated left on rock, holding standard, sloped upwards to left in right hand, and curved sword upwards in left hand, [SC] in ex. Ref: BMCRE 1741 (Pl 94, #13;  BMC Collection Online Museum Number R.8834 die match); RIC II.3 1663 (pictures the BM specimen). Very Fine, nice brown patina, SC on reverse off flan. BM example is 9.62g. Extremely Rare; rated R3 (highest rarity) by RIC II.3. One example on CoinArchives (Roma 96 (5 May 2022), Lot 1122 hammered for 480 GBP. Roma example is also a die match and is 10.45g).

image.jpeg.8bed1b79a6ad33ad70ac51624512c150.jpeg

Great coin. And this the type I had in mind when mentioning "I intend to buy a Hadrian coin related to Dacia (I lost one about a year ago, a Sestertius, but the condition was quite horrible, advanced bronze disease and very poor shape, I could have bought it for a very low price, but for my tastes it went for too much."

Very pleasant condition and general aspect and great historical importance. 

The example I lost about a year ago was incomparable. It was a Sestertius. 

I have nothing against worn coins (actually, I have a big bunch and I like them) but that one was below my standards, by much. I can't remember when was the auction to check biddr (irrelevant anyway) but if you check my first post with the Decius sestertius, it was worse than it. Pretty much clarifies. I stopped bidding at 50 euros and I don't think I would have been overwhelmed with joy if I won it. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 1