Commodus: overnight to a mature adult emperor

Prieure de Sion

How quickly imperial propaganda can adapt to the respective situations, I would like to show you today by means of two silver denarii of Commodus. Both of the same type (RIC 2) - but both show an outwardly changed emperor at short intervals.

020818-45-Roman-Triumph-Art-History-Rome

Not much time had passed when, in the autumn of 176 AD, Emperor Marcus Aurelius and his son Commodus returned to Rome after the successful first Marcomannic War and subsequent journey through Syria and Egypt. Marcus Aurelius had himself celebrated in a triumphal procession at the end of the same year, and his son received the honour at the beginning of 177 AD, when his father solemnly followed alongside the triumphal chariot of his son Commodus. In the course of this year of triumph, Commodus received the title of Augustus and pater patriae, and was thus elevated to equal co-emperor with his father. But the joy and peace did not last long.

For in the same year 177 AD, and before 10 December, both emperors adopted an imperatorial salutation, so that Marcus was called IMP IX and Commodus IMP II. The Marcoman War must therefore have broken out anew in this year. As a result, Marcus decided to go to war anew in the following year 178 AD, and before leaving, sooner than he had originally intended, married his seventeen-year-old son and successor to Crispina, the daughter of L. Fulvius C. Bruttius Praesens, who at the same time received the title of Augusta. Then Marcus Aurelius set out from Rome with Commodus on the second Germanic or Sarmatian campaign (second Marcomannic war) on 3 August 178 (Comm. 12, 6).

Marcomannia_e_Sarmatia_178-179_dC.jpg

There are various thoughts and theories about the causes of the renewed fighting in AD 177 on the middle Danube. However, since these were not people's wars but rather battles of followers, the thinning out of the Roman border protection alone was probably reason enough for many to invade the Roman border provinces again. Spoils of war and slaves as labour were enticing. The extent of the raids is completely unknown, but some of these raids were apparently enough to trigger corresponding Roman counterattacks. The Roman counterattacks seem to have been directed first against the Sarmatians, and later also against the Quades, Marcomanni and even the Hermunduri. However, since the Roman army leaders did not succeed in ending the war (Cassius Dio, LXXI 33,1) - Marcus Aurelius, with his son Commodus, decided to appear on the scene himself. But perhaps also in order to provide his son with further military reputations. Once in Pannonia, the emperor then handed over a strong detachment of troops to the new guard prefect Tarruntenius Paternus and sent him to the decisive battle.

This battle against the Quades on the territory of present-day Slovakia was fierce and waved back and forth all day, until in the end the resisting barbarians were beaten up by the Romans. This momentous victory may have been achieved as late as 179 AD, for in the winter of that year a army stayed deep in Quadia, in Laugaricio. There, the commander had an inscription placed in the castle rock of Trenèín on the river Waag "to the victory of the Augusti" - which must therefore have happened in the weeks or months before. Likewise, both emperors renewed their imperial greetings on account of this victory, Marcus Aurelius with IMP X and Commodus with IMP III.

There were no further major battles, as the emperor fell seriously ill at the beginning of 180 AD and died on 17 March of the same year. Either according to Aurelius Victor in Vindobona, today's Vienna, or following the contemporary Tertullian in the Bononia camp near Sirmium from an unknown illness. Some scholars assume the Antonine plague as the cause of death, others suspect cancer. With the outbreak of the illness and in expectation of imminent death, the emperor summoned his son Commodus and allegedly admonished him to continue the campaign until victory. In this situation, Commodus was in a hurry to leave again - possibly for fear of infection. Thereupon Marcus Aurelius, in order to hasten his own end, is said to have refused food and drink and to have died soon afterwards.

image.png.1cb48f28f010beebac1ccaace0cd9845.png

Imperator Caesar Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus Augustus
Reign: Marcus Aurelius or Commodus; Mint: Rome; Date: 179/180 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 2.89g; Reference: RIC III Commodus 2 var (beardless); Rare: R1; Provenance: Nomos Numismatics Zurich, Switzerland (Auction 27, Lot 593); Pedigree: –; Special: Variation beardless; Obverse: Bust of Commodus, youthful, beardless, laureate and cuirassed, right; Inscription: L AVREL COMMODVS AVG; Translation: Lucius Aurelius Commodus, Augustus; Reverse: Fortuna, draped, seated left on low seat, holding rudder set on ground in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand; Inscription: TR P V IMP III COS II P P; Translation: Tribunicia Potestate Quinta, Imperator Tertium, Consul Secundum, Pater Patriae; Translation: Holder of tribunician power for the fifth time, Imperator for the third time, consul for the second time, father of the nation

The silver denarius of Commodus illustrated and presented above shows a beardless youth. The issue can be well determined in time; Commodus received the "Tribunicia Potestate Quinta" on 10 December 179 AD. The third imperial salutation by the victory of Tarruntenus Paternus also took place in this year, or at the latest at the turn of the year. An issue after the death of Marcus Aurelius seems unlikely, as there is a second variant of this type of denarius, which will be presented later. The Fortuna depicted on the reverse is certainly not a "Fortuna Redux" - a return of the two emperors was not thought of at this time. Fortuna with oar and cornucopia serve here as forward-looking propaganda and promise of a (further) divinely ordained happy and successful regency by Commodus, the successor of Marcus Aurelius. It is questionable whether the serious illness of Marcus Aurelius in the spring of 180 AD was already foreseeable here.

Delacroix-Marc_Aur%C3%A8le-MBA-Lyon.jpg

But then came the serious illness and ultimately the death of Marcus Aurelius. Commodus was now more than ever the potential successor - or after the death of the old emperor - the new emperor. Either way, it was difficult to place him as a childlike youth on the throne. And so we see hereafter the second and later RIC 2 type - aged within a few weeks or even days and now of course more mature for the propaganda. The depiction of the reverse remains the same, as does the dating by the indications "TR P V" and "IMP III" - the only question is whether the artists adjusted the bust of Commodus shortly before Marcus Aurelius' death, during his death throes or shortly after his death.

And now here is a Commodus - the new ruler of the Roman Empire - clearly matured in a few weeks or days.

image.png.a93de4301bb621d210591d7d0ffab6a7.png

Imperator Caesar Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus Augustus
Reign: Marcus Aurelius or Commodus; Mint: Rome; Date: 179/180 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.47g; Reference: RIC III Commodus 2 var (cheek beard); Rare: R2; Provenance: InAsta Numismatica, San Marino (Auction 105, Lot 885); Pedigree: –; Special: Variation cheek beard; Obverse: Bust of Commodus (with light cheek beard), laureate, cuirassed, right; Inscription: L AVREL COMMODVS AVG; Translation: Lucius Aurelius Commodus, Augustus; Reverse: Fortuna, draped, seated left on low seat, holding rudder set on ground in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand; Inscription: TR P V IMP III COS II P P; Translation: Tribunicia Potestate Quinta, Imperator Tertium, Consul Secundum, Pater Patriae; Translation: Holder of tribunician power for the fifth time, Imperator for the third time, consul for the second time, father of the nation

Booth coins are part of my private collection.
RIC 2 var. beardless: https://yothr.me/cri/yothr-cri-179-2a/
RIC 2 var. cheek beard: https://yothr.me/cri/yothr-cri-179-2b/

I hope my little story was of some interest to you and that you enjoyed it. Please feel free to post examples and coins of yours if you think it fits. Feel free to post younger / older examples (Caracalla young, Caracalla older etc.) - or whatever you feel like. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 3

@Prieure de Sion, I went to your linked images and hunted around a bit. Your page of coins of Commodus:
https://yothr.me/cri/

has many excellent examples and each is linked to a page with extensive commentary. 
There is also a remarkable page with Roman provincial coins of Commodus:
https://yothr.me/crp/

If any reader cares about Commodus, I recommend visiting those pages.

One of my largest coins is a Roman provincial coin of Commodus.

image.jpeg.59729db866c14fdd6d53573089cf940b.jpeg

40-38 mm. 27.36 grams.
Commodus, 177-192. Cilicia, Aegeae. Struck CY 234 =AD 187/8
Countermark of Victory on each side, Howgego 258 "no later than 218" and only on coins of Aegeae.
The reverse has a diademed head of Asklepios right, with [weak] serpent in front 
RPC IV.3 online 9754 [temporary] (2 pieces)

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

1 hour ago, Valentinian said:

has many excellent examples and each is linked to a page with extensive commentary. 

Thanks for that positive feedback. My collection also at the gallery of forumancientcoins - in a shorter version:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=53729 

One of my largest coins is a Roman provincial coin of Commodus.

Thats a nice example! Love this combination with the patina and the bronze. Fantastic! Like this coin...

Countermark of Victory on each side, Howgego 258 "no later than 218" and only on coins of Aegeae.

... and then also including countermarks. Very interesting, very beautiful - I would also be tempted by such a specimen!

The reverse side is not arbitrary - the healing-god Asclepius and his female companion Hygieia complete the series of the most prominent city-gods and founders which was initiated under Hadrian in 117 AD. The first expenditures were used to finance the new temples to Asclepius and Hadrian. During Hadrian's journey and visit to the city, these two new temples were donated. The coin issues with Asclepius at this time are said to have been intended, among other things, for financing. Later coins with the portrait of the God of Salvation were no longer used for financing - but they were a reminder of the important history of the city. If you are interested in more details about the city and the coins - also the Asclepius issues - there is a free PDF available at academica.

https://www.academia.edu/39011608/The_Hadrianic_Silver_Coinage_of_Aegeae_Cilicia_ 

PS: And if you ever want to part with that big bronze, please let me know. I don't think you will - if you do, think of me first 😄 

Edited by Prieure de Sion

I'm outside my comfort zone with Commodus, but was just  today in the British Museum and saw  this thread as I stood  in front of a display of  Roman statuary found around the UK. Slightly disconcerting! (Unless I have the wrong chap...)

Gilded copper statuette of Hercules, intended as a portrait of Commodus, 2nd century AD, said to be from Hadrian's Wall near Birdoswald

IMG_6793.jpg

IMG_6792.jpg

• Like 4
  • Mind blown 1