is UK shipping getting back to normal?

Nerosmyfavorite68

I've heard the UK shipping crisis has subsided.  My eye is recovering and I have attempted to get back to normalcy.   London Ancient Coins had been my go-to dealer before December, but the shipping delays took them out of the mix.

I made two different orders within the same week (I hope they didn't combine them, that will cause delivery issues).  I receive a signature slip, about two weeks to the day of ordering (which would be exactly the time period I was used to).  I sign for it and eagerly await the delivery.  Turns out, it was just the sidewalk nazis (the one little foible of my suburb is they love to find the tiniest fault in sidewalks/curbs and replace them - they double love it when it's my driveway).  Skunked again.

I thought it a little odd to get a signature slip. We have a rotating array of postmen and most ignore the need for a signature, which I'm happy with 90% of the time.

• Like 1

I'm perfectly happy with them ignoring the signature unless it's a very expensive package, which virtually never happens.  It just delays delivery by two days. It would be nice if the post office took the item back out for delivery, instead of parking it immediately at the post office.

I go through phases where I'll have a favorite dealer.  LAC just has such a massive selection.  Most of the time, I have no set wants when I make my buys. I'll often buy by patina, what catches my eye, or a really good deal on an item of interest.  Savoca has become my second favorite dealer.  Generally speaking, European dealers just seem to have better deals and coins with better patinas.

The only minor downside of LAC; they'll mercilessly spam one with constant inventory updates and auction announcements.  I had to set up a spam filter.  Oh, and if you want DHL Express, one has to provide a phone number, or else it'll not be sent.  I always choose the postal option.  I can live with two weeks' transit time from overseas. (Dubai and France are still the fastest).

Marc B., on the other hand, is pretty discrete about his updates. I actually enjoy those. Forum is also quite good about it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

The only minor downside of LAC; they'll mercilessly spam one with constant inventory updates and auction announcements.  I had to set up a spam filter. 

I agree, regarding LAC and their spam. I finally created a filter, to filter out all emails from LAC. Also, I've heard of bad experiences, regarding their auctions. Therefore, I never bid at their auctions. However, I've bought many coins from LAC. Whenever I used their DHL shipping, it was usually amazingly fast, from London to the US. However, I haven't bought any coins from them, since the middle of last year.

Edited by sand
  • Like 1