Henry VII Profile Groat

John Conduitt

I've had one of these on my list forever, so it was something of a surprise when I finally bid enough to get one. The edge is a little 'irregular' but I never mind that on hammered coins if I can get a decent portrait.

Henry VII Regular Type Profile Issue Groat, 1526-1532

image.png.55e07396bc0a3f40dc60b1875d6122c7.png

Tower. Silver, 3.08g. Crowned and draped bust of Henry VII right, in arched imperial crown with triple band; HENRIC' · VII' · DI' · GRA' · REX · AGL' · Z · FR'; mintmark pheon, saltire stops. Royal shield of arms over long cross fourchée; POSVI DEV . · A DIVTOR E' : MEV'; mintmark pheon, double saltire stops (S 2258).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Cookie 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

And here's my Henry VIII facing groat to complete the progression!

image.jpeg.1cc0c0a363a56d43b1143adf08d735a7.jpeg

Your OP coin is beautiful, @John Conduitt.  I like the very sharp hairline on the face, as well as the sensitively modeled facial features.  Just lovely!

I've been surprised at some of my wins lately too.  Seems to me prices are taking a bit of a breather right now.  True?  If true: temporary, while people wonder where the world economy is heading? Or is it a more permanent correction from the highs of the past two years?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Your OP coin is beautiful, @John Conduitt.  I like the very sharp hairline on the face, as well as the sensitively modeled facial features.  Just lovely!

I've been surprised at some of my wins lately too.  Seems to me prices are taking a bit of a breather right now.  True?  If true: temporary, while people wonder where the world economy is heading? Or is it a more permanent correction from the highs of the past two years?

Thank you. Luckily, Henry VII isn’t as popular as his son (perhaps it does help to be a bit - or a lot - of a tyrant to be remembered). But many of his coins are the generic facing bust of his predecessors, of which I already have plenty. The Sovereign issues are more interesting though.

Henry VII Sovereign Issue Penny, 1485-1500

image.jpeg.7160d7e1db51724e20236b0dbd0bb239.jpeg

York, under Archbishop Thomas Rotherham. Silver, 15mm, 0.73g. Henry VII enthroned facing. Coat of arms over long cross fourchée, keys below shield; CIVITAS EBORACI (S 2236).

Yes I think prices have softened. I was looking at CNG’s data a little while ago and the % of realised prices vs estimates was coming down even before the war. I don’t know what it’s like now but it feels even less competitive. Perhaps it’s both a reaction to high prices and a temporary lull while people work out their economic prospects.

• Like 6