Finally got the 'spicy cough' after four years!

JayAg47

I think we had it twice, once for certain and another time, probably the milder strain, last autumn. This last time it was very unusual because each of us had very different symptoms: the kids, who likely got it from the playground, had 3 days of fever and afterwards about 2 weeks of cough, the wife had no fever but almost a full month of coughing and me with a wide array of symptoms all within less than 24hrs: fever, excruciating throat pain, almost rheumatic-like pain in the joints and muscular spasms, drowsiness and a leaden head. The symptoms started hitting early in the morning and I spent the day unable to get up from bed. By nightfall I was better, the next day I was completely fine, not even a cough.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 1
  • Shock 1

My whole family had it on Christmas 2021… the kids barely felt it. My wife and I felt like we were dying and had to struggle though the day with kids supercharged on Santa and presents. It was awful… but we all made it through with no problems. 

Hope you have an easy go of it and are well soon! 

• Like 1

Get better soon, Jay! Here's Asklepios to speed your recovery!

SeverusTomisAsklepios.jpg.a5962256d22404c9f9eed581dc660c9d.jpg
Septimius Severus, AD 193-211.
Roman provincial diassarion, AE 21.2 mm, 6.30 g, 7 h.
Moesia Inferior, Tomis.
Obv: ΑY Κ Λ CΕ CΕΥΗΡΟC Π, laureate head, right.
Rev: ΜΗΤΡ ΠΟΝ ΤΟΜЄΩC, Asklepios standing facing, head left, holding serpent-entwined staff and with left hand on hip, B in left field.
Refs: AMNG 2781-85 var.; BMC 3.56,18 var.; Varbanov 4826 var.; Sear 2125 var.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Get well soon!

streptomyces-both.jpg.78b78f7337b0e66e5aa5d0f2c6db338a.jpg

Uncertain artist. 1955, Bronze, 58mm. Circa 83-87 g.
Obv: Bacterium Streptomyces Rimosus
Rev: CLIN-BYLA / PFIZER / S.I.B. / MASSY

S.I.B. is Société industrielle de biochimie. Clin Byla was a French company that merged and took on a new name in 1980. Pfizer is a US pharmaceutical company. Massy is a commune (municipality) in France.  See https://pharmainnumis.fr/index.php/produit/clin-byla-pfizer/ which illustrates a variant dated June 1955.

• Like 12
  • Mind blown 1

Get well soon @JayAg47!

I know how much Covid sucks – last month, I had it for the first time. It took me a week to test negative again, and about two more weeks to not feel tired all the time anymore.

Here is Salus to help you in your recovery:

RomHadrianAsSalus.jpg.e2bde94c63ebb31055fc37d835dc953a.jpg

Hadrian, Roman Empire, AE as, 125–128 AD, Rome mint. Obv: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS; bust of Hadrian, laureate, r. Rev: COS III; Salus, draped, standing r., feeding snake out of patera; in fields flanking, SC. 26mm, 10.2g. Ref: RIC II Hadrian, 669c.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was talking with an acquaintance who lives in the UK and had a similar experience, very brief although intense symptoms and he puts this fast rebound to having been vaccinated with 3 doses. If that is true then the protection offered by the vaccine sure did last, in my case I had my last shot in December 2021. Anyway, @JayAg47 I hope you've gotten better by now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seth77 said:

I was talking with an acquaintance who lives in the UK and had a similar experience, very brief although intense symptoms and he puts this fast rebound to having been vaccinated with 3 doses. If that is true then the protection offered by the vaccine sure did last, in my case I had my last shot in December 2021. Anyway, @JayAg47 I hope you've gotten better by now.

Yep! just tested negative on Friday, this is how it went for me, slight tickle in throat followed by fever and headache, the fever subsumed by the next day but got throat pain, after 3-4days from testing positive I lost my smell and started coughing, but by Friday all gone and regained my smell. I got 3 doses with the last dose also being in December 2021. 

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Third encounter with the spicy cough, the easiest thus far: no fever, no muscular spasms, just a sore throat followed by strong coughing and some mild head aches. Time between the positive test and the negative test 4 days, did not follow any treatment. Just cold beer, ice cream, high calories lunches and methylene blue at night -- this actually cured the soreness in less than 48hrs. Where I live there are no restrictions and there is no longer any pandemic designation for covid, it's just the common flu.

• Like 3

• Benefactor
3 minutes ago, seth77 said:

Thanks Donna, I'm already negative with just a mild cough. I was through it in about 4 days.

Good! Without trying to jinx myself, I've been very fortunate so far to be one of the few people I know who's never had Covid. I don't fool myself into thinking I have some sort of genetic immunity. I ascribe it to good luck (to date!), to being extremely careful with mask-wearing and vaccine boosters, to seeing almost nobody socially for the first couple of years except my son (who's been similarly fortunate to be able to limit his contacts because he's been in graduate school rather than an undergraduate or younger), and perhaps most of all to having retired shortly before the pandemic began, enabling me to avoid contact with large numbers of people at work and on my commute by public transportation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Good! Without trying to jinx myself, I've been very fortunate so far to be one of the few people I know who's never had Covid. I don't fool myself into thinking I have some sort of genetic immunity. I ascribe it to good luck (to date!), to being extremely careful with mask-wearing and vaccine boosters, to seeing almost nobody socially for the first couple of years except my son (who's been similarly fortunate to be able to limit his contacts because he's been in graduate school rather than an undergraduate or younger), and perhaps most of all to having retired shortly before the pandemic began, enabling me to avoid contact with large numbers of people at work and on my commute by public transportation.

We caught it all three times from the kids who got it from the playground/playing at their friends house. This time it seems like it hit our neighborhood hard late May, everybody is reeling and kids are coughing their lungs out around. Luckily it's getting warmer by the day so the sun will likely kill the annoying pathogen soon enough.