Post your (Artifact)'s coins and medals.

Paddy54

An artifact specimen would be an item made or struck from a materal that once was a part of the item in question.  

Here's a few of mine ,please post your's ....

The first is a medal made from copper savaged off The U.S.S. Constellation. This was a total refit of the ship back in the early 70's.

Next is the Admiral Dewey flag ship...now at rest in Philadelphia. 

Next is  medal from The John W. Brown WW l l liberty ship made right here in Baltimore Maryland. 

This is a living museum that schedules a trip down the bay under steam power. Its a very cool experence I highly recommend if you ever have the opportunity. 

You can google the Brows web site.

20220616_093522.jpg

20220616_093558.jpg

20220616_093712.jpg

20220616_093640.jpg

20220616_093433.jpg

20220616_093618.jpg

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Benefactor

I have quite a few of these medals, which I will explain below.

Copper medal, Fiesta De Las Rosas, San Jose California, Santa Clara County, 1969.

31mm; 14.16 grams

1143675161_D-CameraCUmedalFiestadeRosasSanJoseCA196931mm14.16g6-28-22.jpg.89ef01589fe27e35fab0ec959bc7585b.jpg

In 1969 an attempt by the Fiesta de las Rosas Committee was made to revive the earlier Fiesta De Las Rosas, which used to be an annual event, first as the Rose Carnival in 1896, changed in 1920 to Fiesta De La Rosas, in San Jose, California. The festival highlighted San Jose as a garden city, with the city's flowers, notably roses a prime feature. The festival included a parade, much like Pasadena's Rose Parade but on a more modest scale, and other events.

Fiesta de las Rosas Collection

In 1927, the Fiesta celebrated the 150th anniversary of the founding of Pueblo San Jose de Guadalupe with a parade featuring 91 floats,
19 bands and 587 riders. 

This medal or "coin" was issued as part of the 200th anniversary of the Portola Expedition of 1769.  This expedition helped to establish the network of missions that were connected by the El Camino Real, or Royal Road.  This medal and the festival in San Jose,  were not well received by the Hispanic community, which viewed it as a celebration of colonial times and Spanish rule.  Remember, this medal was issued in 1969, and a lot of things were happening in California and across the nation.  The Chicano movement was well established by then, and with it a view that Spanish rule was oppressive, which it was.  So, the festival was a flop, basically, and lots of these medals went unsold.

I still have about half a box of these medals, still in their wax paper holders.  Still, they are interesting in a historical context, and they reflect the evolving perspective of history in our society.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Neat story how did you become the owner of so many? Or was it a purchase of a lot that you obtained so many?

Whats cool about the 3 I posted is that all 3 ships are still afloat and no more than 100 +/- miles apart. 2 in Baltimore and 1 in Philadelphia. 

• Like 3

• Benefactor

It seems that the technical term for medals like this is "relic medal."  See https://www.coinworld.com/voices/gerald-tebben/relic_medal_for_uss.html: "Relic medals are medals that are struck containing metal or other substances recovered from, flown in or on famous ships, spacecraft or important historic artifacts, or from historic sites." (The article is about the relic medals struck from copper removed from the hull of the U.S.S. Constitution.)

Another famous "relic medal" is the Foudroyant medal, struck in 1897 from copper from a ship that Admiral Nelson commanded. See  https://www.coinworld.com/news/world-coins/copper-relic-medal-from-viscount-nelson-s-ship-in-auction# . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
7 hours ago, Paddy54 said:

Neat story how did you become the owner of so many? Or was it a purchase of a lot that you obtained so many?

Whats cool about the 3 I posted is that all 3 ships are still afloat and no more than 100 +/- miles apart. 2 in Baltimore and 1 in Philadelphia. 

My local coin dealer had boxes of these medals, so he just gave me one.  I imagine that he has more, but I haven't checked on that for many years.

• Like 1

Wow thats cool.... I guess he thought that they sell....but I also guess that injustices from the past do set deep within the ones they are leveled at.

But again thoughout history the leading nation's imperialism of the big 3 Britain, Spain, France made huge differences in all their conquest.

And not to get political but I can totally understand.  The sickness brought to the SA jungles, to Hawaii islands, just two off the top of my head that caused much pain and suffering...that would of never occurred had the White man greed didn't superseded their christian faith beliefs.

As a white male, raised as an Irish Catholic I have voiced these concerns to any priest,minster, etc...that would hear my argument. 

I have always taken the view of the truth in history...not the spoon fed BS that came from text books written by authors who either were so stupid to find the truth...or placed money over truth by candy coating history to a one way view.

I was very fortunate in college who taught history by a right ,left,and middle road approach.  Professor Duffy who also taught at the USNA gave you a view that you could make up your own mind as to the real truth....but based all his lectures on true facts..not to persuade your view but to make one think.

Which as a student who loved history,and geography very much....and always sought out not just one view or answer to my questions as to the truth.

Edited by Paddy54
  • Yes 1

On 6/16/2022 at 9:02 AM, Paddy54 said:

Next is the Admiral Dewey flag ship...now at rest in Philadelphia.

Awesome "relic medal" from the USS Olympia. Below are some pics of the vessel, from my last trip to Philly in 2019. Was the first time I'd been aboard since a class trip as a kid many, many, many years ago.

1938965463_OlympiaCollage2.jpg.80d3d28110b4de52e6329a62ab4d3db9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DonnaML said:

It seems that the technical term for medals like this is "relic medal."  See https://www.coinworld.com/voices/gerald-tebben/relic_medal_for_uss.html: "Relic medals are medals that are struck containing metal or other substances recovered from, flown in or on famous ships, spacecraft or important historic artifacts, or from historic sites." (The article is about the relic medals struck from copper removed from the hull of the U.S.S. Constitution.)

Another famous "relic medal" is the Foudroyant medal, struck in 1897 from copper from a ship that Admiral Nelson commanded. See  https://www.coinworld.com/news/world-coins/copper-relic-medal-from-viscount-nelson-s-ship-in-auction# . 

Thanks Donna for your post,as I should of known they were relic not artifact as again raised Irish Catholic and seeing relic medal. That were made of an actual body part ,ie bone or hair, or a thread off a saints robe. And if my memory serves me most alters had relics in them as to the saint the church was named after.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kamnaskires said:

Awesome "relic medal" from the USS Olympia. Below are some pics of the vessel, from my last trip to Philly in 2019. Was the first time I'd been aboard since a class trip as a kid many, many, many years ago.

1938965463_OlympiaCollage2.jpg.80d3d28110b4de52e6329a62ab4d3db9.jpg

Thanks for posting these images.  What's funny is that years ago I worked for Dietz & Watson out of Baltimore but had many trips up I 95 to Philly. We also have a nephew and his wife who live in S Philly. 

While at D&W I was put in charge of a special event a concert over across the river in Camden NJ. It was a concert that a lot of military were given tickets for the show. I ran a special part of the event for select military who were chosen by their comand or fellow miltary members to enjoy a day of fun and music.

Of course we fed as well soft drinks 3 different kegs of beer as well a nice selection of wines too.

This was right on the water as my memory serves me up river a retired battle ship which I cannot recall its hull number,or name. Across the river yep

The Olympia at its mooring...I know I took images most probably on my old company phone. I always thought that I like to drive up and see the ship .

As here in Baltimore we have a light ship, a WW ll sub, the CG Tanney which was at Pearl durring the attack by Japan. Baltimore also has the John Brown liberty ship. And it does two to 3 times a year take a bay cruise. Which there's food dancing and all members in the time peroid dress as well in  character for said time peroid. The music is swing of the 40's and I highly recommend that if your in town at a time one of these trips are going to sail grab yourself a fun time ticket.

• Like 1

The reference in the photos is a catalog that gives in details all medals made for both iron clad ships. As you'll see the one in the write up did have a piecebof medal from the ship. 

The medal that I did own at one time is also listed in this catalog . Hinde sight..wish I never sold. But there is one at present on ebay in silver @ $ 10,000. As they are very rare. 

Not an relic medal but struck durring the civil war.in copper, brass,and silver.

20220629_160251.jpg

20220629_160324.jpg

$(KGrHqFHJCcE-ffTjhSNBPss+uuRmQ--60_12   61012 o-crop-crop.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!joE-msMp+hrBPss+vq(i!--60_12 61012 r-crop-crop.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Paddy54 said:

This was right on the water as my memory serves me up river a retired battle ship which I cannot recall its hull number,or name.

You must be referring to the New Jersey (#62), anchored on the Camden side of the Delaware. Seen here in a picture I took from the deck of the Olympia from the Philly side.

NJfromOlympia.jpg.0b74d6cdb0ae0cad2fa9978f8ac8a4fa.jpg

Edited by Kamnaskires
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes correct! Another ship I love to visit. Years ago I go visit an old work buddy who moved to Fort Lauderdale.  They had Fleet week way before other cities for the military. Over 4 million people on the beach.... Watching...everything that floated or flew was there for the 2 day show. 

I recall landing at Ft Lauderdale and seeing both the Canadian snow birds, the Blue Angels...but really flipped me out ....was a Candy Apple Red Russian Mig on the tarmac. 

Anyway it was quite a show they had an old bomber drop water melons on targets.  About 40 minutes to an hour they wash up on the beach.

They drop a seal team off shore full gear. 8 team members 4 would stay out and tread water...the other 4 swam ashore to recon the beach...for the choppers to come in and lay down fire...blanks of course but very cool.

Then in about a little under 2 hours a chopper come in drop a line and 4 seals would hold on for a water pick up...and held on flying down the beach front for the crowd.  We now have fleet week here in Baltimore.  So crowed but very cool... tall ships from other countries... at which I pick out a few crew and give them a Washington dollar coin. Then have the ship stamp dollar notes which I would include in a tip for a resturant server.

It was funny that some believe that the dollar coin were gold....glad I wasn't around when they discovered that they weren't. 

• Like 1

My father's golf buddies gave my father 2 of these Nasa space medals and Dad gave them to me ... where 25% of the metal was flow in space... I will never sell these because my father gave them to me.  I am not sure if they fit in the "Relic medal"  category ?

10428527_643543905766211_9150311373079072751_n.jpeg

10649993_643543432432925_5492088908589236505_n.jpeg

1557567_643543289099606_6284505027970343528_n.jpeg

10710582_643543655766236_2754760271566539599_n.jpeg

Edited by Spirityoda
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Craig

Your two space medals are relic medals..as they were a part of a space ship or rocket that flew in space. Thus they have material in them that makes them fall into this category.  Very cool as well very envy of them. I havent seen these before any place.  cool specimens linked to history.

On another space tid bit...did you see where they found a form of mite living on the space station windows? ...not on the inside.... on the outer window glass.

• Like 3