Happy Winners from the Graham Collection of Roman Coins - here?

Prieure de Sion

Today, part of the Graham Collection of Roman Imperial Coins is being auctioned at Noonans in England. Did anyone participate? Or is still taking part? Have you won anything? There are some really beautiful specimens with a very nice pedigree. 

Numiswiki tells about the Collection:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Important Collection Auctions 

* Graham, Richard J. – see Tinchant, Paul

* Tinchant, Paul (a.k.a. "Graham, Richard J.")
Jacques Schulman N.V. The Richard J. Graham Collection of Ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine Coins including a splendid series of Roman Bronze Medallions. Catalog of public auction [243], 8 June 1966. Amsterdam. 1966. [Clain-Stefanelli 3668 & 4978]

For me, the auction is over - I got all 4 lots I had set out to get. The prices were ok (for the pedigree) - only for the Commodus Hercules I had to "bleed" a lot.  I got the Balbinus rather by chance. The four Commodus are private for me.

My winnings:

image.png.7457bf028ae92617d52e7127a8245c65.png

Commodus, Denarius, 177, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, rev. tr p ii cos p p, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm frond, 3.40g/6h (RIC Marcus Aurelius 642; RSC 745). Bt Spink 1972

image.png.156ce3541b6d9745d8cbdfc6827b7bba.png

Commodus, Denarius, 183-4, laureate head right, rev. p m trp viiii imp vi cos iiii p p, Fides standing right, holding grain ears and basket of fruit, 3.01g/6h (RIC 75; RSC 448). Bt Seaby 1966

image.png.b6cea43190110c96fc78fc25e6df00b4.png

Commodus, Denarius, 192, head right wearing lion skin, rev. hercvl roman avgv around club, all within wreath, 3.11g (RIC 251; RSC 190). Bt 1993

image.png.dda346cde66984e4e6c470fc6e79ed60.png

Crispina, Denarius, 178-82, draped bust right, rev. dis geni tali bvs, lighted altar, 2.79g/6h (RIC Commodus 281; RSC 15; RCV 5999). Bt Stanley Gibbons 1973

image.png.7d7ae28e3df31a21a9f79f57fbce0279.png

Balbinus (April - July 238), Antoninianus, Rome, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, rev. fides mvtva avgg, clasped hands, 4.09g (RIC 11; BMC 71; RSC 6). SCMB March 1977 (C219)

If anyone else was also a lucky winner, I would love to see your winning coins. Just send them in.

🙂 

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 5

I watched the Commodus Hercules go crazy while I waited for a simple dupondius of Livia to come up. Your Commodus denarius is a cool coin! I didn't win anything...I just threw out a low bid on the Livia dupondius to see if it would work, but nope. Kind of hard to believe what someone paid for a coin I didn't think was anything special (I just liked the portrait).

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Today, part of the Graham Collection of Roman Imperial Coins is being auctioned at Noonans in England. Did anyone participate? Or is still taking part? Have you won anything? There are some really beautiful specimens with a very nice pedigree. 

Numiswiki tells about the Collection:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Important Collection Auctions 

* Graham, Richard J. – see Tinchant, Paul

* Tinchant, Paul (a.k.a. "Graham, Richard J.")
Jacques Schulman N.V. The Richard J. Graham Collection of Ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine Coins including a splendid series of Roman Bronze Medallions. Catalog of public auction [243], 8 June 1966. Amsterdam. 1966. [Clain-Stefanelli 3668 & 4978]

For me, the auction is over - I got all 4 lots I had set out to get. The prices were ok (for the pedigree) - only for the Commodus Hercules I had to "bleed" a lot.  I got the Balbinus rather by chance. The four Commodus are private for me.

My winnings:

image.png.7457bf028ae92617d52e7127a8245c65.png

Commodus, Denarius, 177, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, rev. tr p ii cos p p, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm frond, 3.40g/6h (RIC Marcus Aurelius 642; RSC 745). Bt Spink 1972

image.png.156ce3541b6d9745d8cbdfc6827b7bba.png

Commodus, Denarius, 183-4, laureate head right, rev. p m trp viiii imp vi cos iiii p p, Fides standing right, holding grain ears and basket of fruit, 3.01g/6h (RIC 75; RSC 448). Bt Seaby 1966

image.png.b6cea43190110c96fc78fc25e6df00b4.png

Commodus, Denarius, 192, head right wearing lion skin, rev. hercvl roman avgv around club, all within wreath, 3.11g (RIC 251; RSC 190). Bt 1993

image.png.dda346cde66984e4e6c470fc6e79ed60.png

Crispina, Denarius, 178-82, draped bust right, rev. dis geni tali bvs, lighted altar, 2.79g/6h (RIC Commodus 281; RSC 15; RCV 5999). Bt Stanley Gibbons 1973

image.png.7d7ae28e3df31a21a9f79f57fbce0279.png

Balbinus (April - July 238), Antoninianus, Rome, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, rev. fides mvtva avgg, clasped hands, 4.09g (RIC 11; BMC 71; RSC 6). SCMB March 1977 (C219)

If anyone else was also a lucky winner, I would love to see your winning coins. Just send them in.

🙂 

Beautiful coins! I was your underbidder on the Commodus Hercules, with a prebid I made last night -- I don't usually participate in live bidding.  Congratulations. I'm sure another one will come up for me one of these days!

I did succeed on four coins, although they were all from the part of the auction that consisted of ancient coins not from the Graham collection (which was only Lots 458–563): three more Hadrians I've wanted (two from the Travel Series), and an Allectus. I won't post the photos until they arrive, because after the last time I did that, the coin has been stuck for a month in ISC New York! I'm also thinking of bidding on a couple of the antiquities in tomorrow morning's session, as well as a couple of English hammered coins in tomorrow afternoon's separate Noonans auction.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Numisnewbie said:

I watched the Commodus Hercules go crazy

Someone had made a very high pre-bid - maybe it was @DonnaML 😄 

Because every one of my live bids was cancelled by a pre-bid that was made. There were no other live bids - I just had to click until I was above the pre-bid. 

Therefore, as an outsider, it must have looked like two bidders were bidding each other up.

However, I was willing to pay almost anything for this coin type today....

38 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Beautiful coins! I was your underbidder on the Commodus Hercules, with a prebid I made last night -- I don't usually participate in live bidding.  Congratulations. I'm sure another one will come up for me one of these days!

I was just fighting a pre-bid with each new click. Then it must have been you 😄 ... or someone else with an even higher pre-bid.

39 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I did succeed on four coins, although they were all from the part of the auction that consisted of ancient coins not from the Graham collection (which was only Lots 458–563): three more Hadrians I've wanted (two from the Travel Series), and an Allectus. I won't post the photos until they arrive, because after the last time I did that, the coin has been stuck for a month in ISC New York! I'm also thinking of bidding on a couple of the antiquities in tomorrow morning's session, as well as a couple of English hammered coins in tomorrow afternoon's separate Noonans auction.

Congratulations on winning the coins! And fingers crossed Donna that you continue to make good buys tomorrow and the days!

• Like 2