Tarentum diobol: a case of smoothing?

Romismatist

Hello everyone, this diobol recently sold at auction; it is a diobol of Tarentum with Herakles on the obverse. These coins are scarcer than the usual ones with the head of Athena (for the complete compendium of the issues of this sizeable denomination from Tarentum. see the work I cited in an earlier Cointalk post here.  

eur110.jpg.83c84f760b43605017a60a6a0f858bd6.jpg

Looking through my auction files, I noticed that the same coin sold in January 2022, but the surfaces of this coin appear significantly more scuffed up:

eur140.jpg.9b1561336cbcbe0e1d5fc020260c78ac.jpgeur140r.jpg.5c0d30aeae871189e6e712a029a438cc.jpg

It's pretty clear that it's the same coin, and that some of the scratch marks across the cheek and in the fields have been removed. What do you think? It doesn't really constitute tooling. It's a pity the patina has been removed along with some of the deposits, but the changes do make the obverse more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. 

As a side note, it's interesting that the coin previously hammered for EUR 140 but only EUR 110 this time around. So if the seller was hoping to make some money in cleaning / improving the coin, it didn't happen...

• Like 6

@Romismatist I saw that selling this morning (EST) and wondered the same but maybe  naively assumed that given the relatively low value it probably wasn't worth the effort.

Btw, I l really appreciated this related book! I assume  you were involved. It's a really helpful edition, either way. And yes I am one of those evil dust-cover removers (I save them though!)

(I had tried to  buy the Diobol one but couldn't  find a way to on the publisher site.)

vwvdas.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

@Romismatist I saw that selling this morning (EST) and wondered the same but maybe  naively assumed that given the relatively low value it probably wasn't worth the effort.

Btw, I l really appreciated this related book! I assume  you were involved. It's a really helpful edition, either way. And yes I am one of those evil dust-cover removers (I save them though!)

(I had tried to  buy the Diobol one but couldn't  find a way to on the publisher site.)

Hello @Deinomenid

Yes, I was involved in this book. It is the first of three (the other two are still in production). You can find the related diobol publication at the publisher site here: https://www.edizionidandrea.com/. If you have any trouble, please PM me and I will see if I can help further.

4 minutes ago, Romismatist said:

If you have any trouble, please PM me and I will see if I can help further.

There seems to be no checkout flow on the site, is the only way to buy the book to whatsapp the publisher and arrange it privately?

1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

@Hesiod

I ordered one. Just email info@edizionidandrea.it  and say the book and your location and they send you wiring instructions. They answered both emails from me promptly and the cost was  70e plus 20e postage to the USA plus 1e wise.com fee.

Postage was the same to Europe or the UK .

Great, thank you! I'll send them an email to get my copy then, appreciate the info.