Anyone hear from JAZ Numismatics?

kirispupis

• Benefactor

I used to chat with John at CT and was always a fan of his auctions, though I never sprung on anything.

Several days ago I ordered a coin from JAZ Numismatics on VCoins. I haven't heard anything since. I tried messaging him on CT, but it looks like he hasn't been active there for some time.

Just checking if everything is all right with him. He's a very nice guy.

• Like 1
  • Gasp 1

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

Same here, and same concern. I will try emailing him.

I just sent an email to him at the address I always used for paypal payments. Hopefully it will reach him. If I hear back, I will report.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

I just heard back from John, and am sorry to report that he has been very, very ill, with more than a month in the hospital and lasting consequences. I won't go into further detail publicly. But he is slowly recovering, and walking again with a cane, and says that he has just joined Numisforums and will sign in tomorrow to say hello. So let's all think of him, with our best wishes.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7
  • Gasp 3
  • Cry 2
  • Shock 2

• Benefactor
4 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I just heard back from John, and am sorry to report that he has been very, very ill, with more than a month in the hospital and lasting consequences. I won't go into further detail publicly. But he is slowly recovering, and walking again with a cane, and says that he has just joined Numisforums and will sign in tomorrow to say hello. So let's all think of him, with our best wishes.

I wonder if there's anything we can do for him. Does anyone here know him well enough to have an idea on how to cheer him up?

• Like 3

• Benefactor
6 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

I wonder if there's anything we can do for him. Does anyone here know him well enough to have an idea on how to cheer him up?

Perhaps if he does post tomorrow, we can ask him.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Just heard back from him via email. I've asked him what can help cheer him up.

Not sure how much of a sense of humor he has, but @Ryrois good at finding coins with inappropriate reverses. If anyone can find one, maybe I can send it to him (though I don't have his address).

• Like 3

Hello my friends! Thank you for your concern. I've missed you all very much. In October I was struggling with a sinus infection, for which I was taking antibiotics. It seemed to be receding, but it suddenly morphed into sepsis, and I contracted a very serious case of vasculitis, a variety known as Wegener's Disease. My hands and feet went numb, and my heart was racing out of control. 

I spent a month in the hospital, twelve days in ICU. I started bleeding internally and had to get three transfusions. Then my kidneys failed and I had to go on dialysis. By the time I left the hospital I had lost fifty pounds and had to use a wheelchair. A month later I graduated to a walker, and I can now get around pretty well with a cane. 

The neuropathy in my hands and feet has not diminished - I feel like I'm walking on a couple of big marshmallows. But my kidneys are (miraculously) making a comeback, and they've reduced the number of days I have to get dialysis.

It's been a rough haul, but I'm slowly recuperating. I look forward to returning to coining soon. Peace and blessings to you all. :)
  • Like 17
  • Gasp 11
  • Cry 2
  • Clap 2
  • Shock 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Confused 1

Sorry to hear this... I hope you're keeping your spirits up and improving. If you can't coin... you know it's serious!

I had sepsis once from a simple scratch on my elbow (hospital and all the fixings), nothing close to what you are going through but... terrifying and jumped right on top of me without much warning!

Maybe it may, in very small part, improve your well-being to see some of your ex-coins (and board-friends) wishing you well!

Commodus_Attaleia.JPG.c47be8eabf91ef37840eacd0c8a9d3e1.JPG

One of my favorite Commodus coins from you... hope you slay what's ailing you like Commodus slayed that Ostrich. 

Edited by Orange Julius
  • Like 9

Get well soon, @JAZ Numismatics! May Asklepios and Hygieia speed your recovery![IMG]
Severus Alexander, AD 222-235.
Roman Provincial Æ 27.2 mm, 8.75 g, 6 h.
Marcianopolis, Moesia Inferior, Legate Um(brius?) Tereventinus, AD 226-227.
Obv: AVT K M AVP CEVH AΛEZANΔPOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: HΓ ȢM TEPEBENTINOV MAPKIANOΠOΛIT-ΩN, Asklepios standing facing, head left, holding serpent staff.
Refs: AMNG I 1027; Moushmov 696; Varbanov 1685 (same dies).

[IMG]
Gordian III, with Tranquillina, A.D. 238-244
Roman provincial AE 4.5 assaria, 12.80 g, 28.2 mm, 7 h.
Moesia Inferior, Tomis, A.D. 241-244.
Obv: AVT K M ANTΩNIOC ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC // CABINIA TPA / NKVΛΛINA, confronted laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian right and diademed, draped bust of Tranquillina left.
Rev: MHTPOΠON-TOV TOMEΩC, Hygieia standing right, feeding serpent from patera; Δ< (ligate) in lower left field.
Refs: AMNG I (Pick) 3534.

• Like 10