Indo-Greek Kingdom, Apollodotus II AR Drachm 80-65 BC

thenickelguy

13o.jpg.51d035f568294329ab3403ea3f8a3122.jpg

13r.jpg.d4e078170830c00f719906c9e1a9c7a8.jpg

Obverse: Basileos Soteros Apollodotou, bust right
Translation of same in Kharosthi

Reverse: Athena standing left, holding Aegis and throwing thunderbolt

The Indo-Greek kingdom was a splinter state from Greek Bactria, pushing into what we would today consider India. The kings maintained their Greek names and Heritage, but many learned the native languages and converted to Buddhism. Their kingdom thrived for about a century before being crushed by the invading Scythians and rising Kushans. This is about an average example of the type coin.

• Like 12
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

Nice one! 😉

I still have these two

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-fcIWhybQBsxYMtg.jpg.7e5b00fd4d980fa9ae9e088e104f98ac.jpgimgonline-com-ua-twotoone-mhYvh9eL5Ymg3mRI.jpg.8857e3105398cd42fe4a415a82551c55.jpg

One thing that I don't think is discussed enough is the extreme variance in style in his drachms - for basically any other ruler, the Degenerate style is assumed to be a later imitation, but I haven't seen this for Apollodotus II. I would hazard a guess that even after his death the later Indo Greeks and Indo Scythians continued to strike his coins, which is why his coins seem to be more common than all other Indo Greeks combined, even including Menander and Hermaios.

• Like 8
  • Yes 1
  • Popcorn 1

Here is one of Apollodotos II:

80-65 BC Apollodotos II - Indo-Greek-Conquests of Alexander the Great - Ref. Mitch 2051

(2) 155-130 BC. INDO-GREEK - MENANDER - KINGS POTRATE - RAREST SILVER COIN (O).png

(2) 155-130 BC. INDO-GREEK - MENANDER - KINGS POTRATE - RAREST SILVER COIN (R).png

and, 80-65 BC Apollodotos II - Indo-Greek-Conquests of Alexander the Great - Ref. SNG Ans 1548-53

(6) Agenor, Bust of Indo-Greek-Conquests of Alexander the Great A.png

(6) Agenor, Bust of Indo-Greek-Conquests of Alexander the Great B.png

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 8
  • Popcorn 1

@thenickelguy, and everyone else, I'm really needing the convergence of cultural dynamics happening here.  And if I said any more, I'd be sounding like some hippie grad student.  Just, Very, Very Cool.  ...Good thing popcorn isn't the worst thing you can eat too much of.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 2:45 AM, Topcat7 said:

Here is one of Menander:

155-130 BC. INDO-GREEK - MENANDER - KINGS POTRATE 

(2) 155-130 BC. INDO-GREEK - MENANDER - KINGS POTRATE - RAREST SILVER COIN (O).png

(2) 155-130 BC. INDO-GREEK - MENANDER - KINGS POTRATE - RAREST SILVER COIN (R).png

and 80-65 BC Apollodotos II Indo-Greek-Conquests of Alexander the Great

(6) Agenor, Bust of Indo-Greek-Conquests of Alexander the Great A.png

(6) Agenor, Bust of Indo-Greek-Conquests of Alexander the Great B.png

Both of your drachms are issues of Apollodotos II; the first one is simply a finer-style example.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2022 at 12:12 PM, Finn235 said:

Nice one! 😉

I still have these two

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-fcIWhybQBsxYMtg.jpg.7e5b00fd4d980fa9ae9e088e104f98ac.jpgimgonline-com-ua-twotoone-mhYvh9eL5Ymg3mRI.jpg.8857e3105398cd42fe4a415a82551c55.jpg

One thing that I don't think is discussed enough is the extreme variance in style in his drachms - for basically any other ruler, the Degenerate style is assumed to be a later imitation, but I haven't seen this for Apollodotus II. I would hazard a guess that even after his death the later Indo Greeks and Indo Scythians continued to strike his coins, which is why his coins seem to be more common than all other Indo Greeks combined, even including Menander and Hermaios.

There are actually other rulers with finer and weaker styles; see the styles of the Antialkidas drachms here. In fact, for most rulers with more than ephemeral reigns there are slightly poorer style examples; it's just more pronounced with Apollodotos II because his coins are so common and he seems to have had some particularly bad mints. The reason that his coins aren't considered imitations is simple enough; the style of his poorer types is the one that was continued for every succeeding ruler, with his finer-style drachms being the last portraits that look particularly human. I haven't gotten any myself yet, but those would be Dionysios, Zoilos II, Strato II, Strato III, Apollophanes, and to a certain extent Hippostratos.

MIG 277d2.png

MIG 279d.png

MIG 275b.png

Edited by velarfricative
  • Like 9
  • Popcorn 1

spacer.png

Bactria, Menander I Soter, 155 - 130 BC Silver Drachm, 17mm, 2.43 grams Obverse: Diademed and draped bust of Menander right. Reverse: MAHARAJASA TRATARASA MENAMDRASE in Karoshti around, Athena advancing left brandishing thunderbolt and holding decorated shield, monogram in right field. Bopearachchi 13N

ex. Ken Dorney 

spacer.png

The artist JFoliveras depicted king Menander with a Buddhist monk in this picture. Clearly, the artist studied Menander’s portrait on coins when painting this picture. 

Edited by MrMonkeySwag96
  • Like 8
  • Smile 1

On 6/26/2022 at 7:35 AM, velarfricative said:

Both of your drachms are issues of Apollodotos II; the first one is simply a finer-style example.

You are quite right. I relied on the seller's attribution, but after seeing your comment I checked. Mistaken attribution corrected.

Thank you, sir.