To add another Carausius to the post.

image.gif.7d98d401d7ea393a634a9ccb7183e993.gif

Carausius, 287-293 Antoninianus Londinium circa 290-292, billon 22mm., 3.08g. Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust r. Rev. Pax, draped standing l., holding olive-branch in r. hand and vertical sceptre in l. hand. C 215. RIC 99.
  • Like 9

Excellent additions, a lot of which we didn't have. The barbarous Diocletian is great. Interesting flan on the Falmouth coin too.

3 hours ago, thejewk said:

A recentish addition, Diocletian under Carausius

I think this is the 'C' mint (Camulodunum) rather than London, so RIC V, 20.

• Like 3

I took the liberty of dropping Hugh Cloke a note about this thread, and he, in turn, contacted Lee Toone.  Hopefully they will be joining us here once in a while!

Hugh tells me the next edition of LMCC should be out after 2023/24, when a hoards book will appear, a British Museum publication (which they're also participating in).

Here are a few more relevant coins I have.  First, not a London coin, though it may appear so at first glance:

image.jpeg.a4310825fe1c578b692b4e3adb35b41e.jpeg

Instead it is from a Gallic mint, location uncertain, issued by Constantius in preparation for the invasion of Britain (Bastien's "invasion coinage") to take it from Carausius Allectus.  It's believed that the mint workers came from Lugdunum and travelled with Constantius to set up the London mint.  So... I think the coin still belongs in the thread. 😄

Next, my ex-Pickering 14a/1.01.010:

image.jpeg.0635a6214f57e6cb8d5fe47b1a4abe65.jpeg

And a 24mm Licinius, RIC 209c I believe:

image.jpeg.d9f21694e5631df75bb5767da3576070.jpeg

(Embarrasingly I haven't yet taken the time to assign this one an LMCC number.)

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Severus Alexander said:

Hugh tells me the next edition of LMCC should be out after 2023/24, when a hoards book will appear

We might have a fair number of them by then!

The hoards book will be great. I have quite a number of hoard coins. Talking of which, I might start a thread on that subject...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, thejewk said:

Here are my two 'London-associated' Invasion coins, one for each of the Western duo. 

Great coins. They come under Lugdunum, I think, even though they weren't struck there (more likely Boulogne). An important moment in British history, nonetheless.

• Like 2

I have now joined the group and am happy to answer any questions people might have about the London mint. We are now working on the second edition of LMCC and expect it to be published late next year or early in 2024. In the meantime we have been contributing to a British Museum special publication that focuses on the publication of two recently found hoards, Wold Newton that is now in the Yorkshire Museum and Rauceby that was largely returned to the finders and landowner (a proportion was retained by the BM however). In addition we have recatalogued the Fyfield hoard that was discovered in 1944 and retained largely intact by the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. This will be included in the publication as well. Reference will also be made to an extremely large French hoard, Juillac, that contained over 2,000 London coins.

The thing that ties these English hoards together is that they were all deposited within 12 months of each other in AD 307-308. Although the French hoard was deposited a few years later, the London component finishes in late AD 307.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

7 minutes ago, Lee Toone said:

I have now joined the group and am happy to answer any questions people might have about the London mint.

Great, thank you very much. Really looking forward to the hoard book. I'm sure a few Rauceby coins will be posted here and to the British Hoards post (or if not I'll post mine!).

1 hour ago, Lee Toone said:

I have now joined the group and am happy to answer any questions people might have about the London mint. We are now working on the second edition of LMCC and expect it to be published late next year or early in 2024. In the meantime we have been contributing to a British Museum special publication that focuses on the publication of two recently found hoards, Wold Newton that is now in the Yorkshire Museum and Rauceby that was largely returned to the finders and landowner (a proportion was retained by the BM however). In addition we have recatalogued the Fyfield hoard that was discovered in 1944 and retained largely intact by the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. This will be included in the publication as well. Reference will also be made to an extremely large French hoard, Juillac, that contained over 2,000 London coins.

The thing that ties these English hoards together is that they were all deposited within 12 months of each other in AD 307-308. Although the French hoard was deposited a few years later, the London component finishes in late AD 307.

Looking forward to both publications, and glad to see you've signed up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I should really add this to this post...

Magnus Maximus Solidus, 383-388image.png.87c5c81023eaf2a76619d2547dce766a.pngAugusta/London. Gold, 21mm, 4.59g, 6h. Rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Magnus Maximus right, seen from front; D N MAG MA-XIMVS P F AVG. Magnus Maximus and Theodosius I seated facing on double throne, jointly holding globe between them; half-length figure of Victory above facing between, vertical palm branch under throne; VICTOR-IA AVGG; AVGOB in exergue (RIC IX, 2b; Biaggi 2312 (this coin)). Ex Leo Biaggi de Blasys. NGC #6057866-002.

• Like 9
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 6/23/2022 at 4:10 PM, thejewk said:

Yes, I've not expanded it beyond what is listed in the main body of CT, I never got around to the supplemental additions, so those could indeed be added.

You are also correct in your second paragraph, CT lists them as RR and RRR respectively, but in the notes they are both listed as being known from only one example each, so I assume it is an error and that both should be RRR.

Edit: also I'll just note here that the 00 numbers at the beginning are clearly not in CT, but seemed relevant enough for me to list as being of importance to the early coinage of Britannia.

Yes, they should be both RRR so unless another comes to light before the second edition is issued, a correction will be made.

Thanks for pointing this out!

• Like 4

Constantius I as Augustus Follis, 305-306image.png.a40c32636beb8b5f972200443bf58be5.pngLondinium. Bronze, 27mm, 9.50g. Laureate, cuirassed bust right; IMP CONSTANTIVS P F AVG. Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae; GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI (RIC VI, 52a). Ex Lord Stewartby. From the Falmouth (Cornwall) Hoard 1865. Two labourers ploughing a field discovered 600-1000 3rd-4th century bronze coins. They were surrounded by black material that crumbled in their hands. The Christie’s catalogue in 1970 listed 584 coins ‘The Property of Mrs Janet MK Fox of Falmouth...all in a rather corroded state and stacked in neat rows.’

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 5

Here's one that I don't think has been posted. Crispus RIC 188.

image.jpeg.36b4b6bf6270c767c704a7b6a019c907.jpeg

Cripus Silvered AE Follis (19.5mm, 3.14g, 6h) from London, c. 320 CE.

CRISPVS NOBIL C. Helmeted cuirassed bust right. 

VIRTVS EXERCIT. Captives & vexillum, VOT XX. Ex: PLON.

Cloke & Toone Plate Coin (C & T 9.02.016); ex collection of the authors, acq. from Dei Gratia Coins at York Coin Fair, 15 Jan 2010; and ex Paul DiMarzio Londinium Collection (CNG e-Auction 516, Lot 631).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, mc9 said:

Constantius II follis  324-325

lo9a1d1.jpg.42473a36f15ec19f5b3eeb017a7f2284.jpg

FLA CONSTANTIUS NOB C

PROVIDEN - TIAE CAESS

laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right

mintmark PLON ; 2.40 gr , 18.70 mm

campgate with 6 layers , dot in doorway

RIC VII 297

Nice. We have both types of Constantius II now. It seems odd there are only two types, but he became Caesar in 324 and the mint closed in 325/6. Constans has none at all.

• Like 3