Severus II - Follis

Obv:- SEVERVS NOBILISSIMVS CAES, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev:- GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI, Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopia
Minted in London
Reference: RIC VI London 59a, LMCC 4.02.016
Weight: 8.1g
Diameter: 27.2mm

Part of a pot hoard found in Rauceby, UK in 2017. The hoard given the reference 2017 T649 by the British Museum who catalogued the hoard.

This coin given the hoard reference BM # 081

RI_150d_img.JPG

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, maridvnvm said:

Severus II - Follis

Obv:- SEVERVS NOBILISSIMVS CAES, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev:- GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI, Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopia
Minted in London
Reference: RIC VI London 59a, LMCC 4.02.016
Weight: 8.1g
Diameter: 27.2mm

Part of a pot hoard found in Rauceby, UK in 2017. The hoard given the reference 2017 T649 by the British Museum who catalogued the hoard.

This coin given the hoard reference BM # 081

That is a beautiful Severus II. His aren't easy to get in great condition (or at all, given that's the first on here).

I don't think we've had any of these yet either...

Maximian I First Abdication Issue, 305-306

image.png.e81061e3e9b7282434da46fdf4d52e20.png

London. Bronze, 29mm, 9.82g. Laureate bust of Maximian senior right, wearing Imperial mantle and holding olive branch and mappa; DN MAXIMIANO FELISSIMO SEN AVG. Providentia standing right extending hand, facing Quies, standing left holding olive branch and resting on scepter; PROVIDENTIA DEORVM QVIES AVGG (RIC VI, 77b).

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

@John Conduitt I have wanted a London abdication coin for years and looked at many. None has hit enough of my criteria to make me press the Buy button. Yours certainly would. Great coin. I am STILL on the lookout for one but only as a background thing as I am trying to focus on my own areas of collecting and not to get constantly distracted.

• Like 2

Not sure I have anything to compete with that Maximianus abdication issue. A beautiful piece. I do have one more interesting Constantine coin that I put away many years ago.

Constantine I Ae Nummus : London mint (22.4mm, 4.3gms)

Obv: CONSTANTINVS P F AVG: Laureate and cuirassed bust right

Rev: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS; Constantine standing facing in military dress holding standard in each hand; star in right field, PLN in exergue

Ref: RIC 215

1733096060_ConstantinePRINCIPIIVVENTVTISPLN.jpg.249ab97018035c9c089aee295049fe45.jpg

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Here's Galerius as Augustus.

Galerius Follis, 305-307

image.png.c9431e8e067cf02b967ec5d98dd4cddb.png

London. Bronze, 26mm, 9.59g. Laureate, cuirassed bust of Galerius right; IMP MAXIMIANVS PF AVG. Genius standing left, chlamys on left shoulder, holding a patera in the right hand and a cornucopia in the left hand; GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI (RIC VI, 52b).

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 8

Galerius as Augustus is also a tough one to find.

Galerius - Follis
Obv:– IMP MAXIMIANVS P F IN AVG, Laureate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked but for chlamys over left shoulder, left hand holding cornucopiae and right hand holding patera
Minted in London (_). Group II - i. May A.D. 305 - Late A.D. 306 or into Early A.D. 307
Reference(s) – Cohen ?. RIC VI London 50 (R, citing Voetter with a footnote stating that confirmation is needed). LMCC (page 126) 4.03.012

Same die pair as LMCC plate coin and BM example (BM B.54, 9.98g, 6h. ex De Salis 1860)

9.77 gms. 29.01 mm diameter. 180 degree die orientation

RI_148ai_img.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

Yes not easy, and not helped (or helped, depending on the circumstances) by them being mistaken for Maximian.

If I remember correctly, my Galerius as Augustus posted above was listed as Maximian which probably allowed me to get it, considering it's almost mint fresh.  One of my favourite coins.

• Like 2

Many beautiful and interesting coins on this thread, some serious scholarship on display as well.  I have only one coin of the London mint to contribute, unless one counts the sceat of Wihtred circa 690 AD, posted in another thread, which I believe was struck in London.  
This coin was initially an impulse buy from William Warden 32 years ago, and it was expensive.  But I have never regretted purchasing it.  Sorry about the glare in the photos.  I took the pictures in sunlight.  A different background would have served better.  You can see the remaining flecks of silver on the surface.
image.jpeg.309087437980e38064431f4a608aff3c.jpegimage.jpeg.0292a6a1c00d1ebe14ae8339fdf398e1.jpeg

• Like 11

On 6/18/2022 at 12:20 PM, Hrefn said:

Many beautiful and interesting coins on this thread, some serious scholarship on display as well.  I have only one coin of the London mint to contribute, unless one counts the sceat of Wihtred circa 690 AD, posted in another thread, which I believe was struck in London.  
This coin was initially an impulse buy from William Warden 32 years ago, and it was expensive.  But I have never regretted purchasing it.  Sorry about the glare in the photos.  I took the pictures in sunlight.  A different background would have served better.  You can see the remaining flecks of silver on the surface.

These are not easy to get in such good condition. It's a great coin for your only London.

We haven't had any empresses yet, although both are tricky, especially Helena.

Fausta Follis, 324-325

image.png.74448b2eaec4dae4ae83cac966d42115.png

London. Bronze, 19mm, 2.93g. Mantled bust right; FLAV MAX FAVSTA AG. Fausta standing facing, looking left, head veiled, with two children (Constantine II and Constantius II) in her arms; SALVS REIPVBLICAE; mintmark PLON (RIC VI, 300).

• Like 7

• Benefactor

Here are some recent additions to my collection of Constantine coins from London

RIC_VI_london_66.jpg.c0b8bc9634ed531f1341b05196e55e60.jpg

Constantine I
A.D. 306
28mm     9.1g
CONSTANTINVS NOBILI C; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
GENIO POPVLI ROMANI; Genius standing left, tower on head, loins draped, r. holding patera, l. cornucopiae.
RIC VI London 66; LMCC 4.04.009

Ex Rauceby Hoard

London_273.jpg.f9279a95c13c83bad9796bfce6733cfa.jpg

Constantine I
A.D. 312- 313
24mm      4.1g
CONSTANTINVS P AVG; laureate & cuirassed bust right.
ROMAE RESTITVTAE; Roma, helmeted, seated left, holding branch in right hand and globe in left; ✶ in left field.
In ex. PLN
RIC VI London 273; LMCC 7.12.0026

LMCC_8_12_002.jpg.d8cfa5bf2ad82fa62b718b92b8079e17.jpg

Constantine I
A.D. 317- 318
19mm     3.4g
CONSTANTINVS P AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
CLARITAS REIPVBLICAE, Sol rad., raising r. hand, globe in l.; stg. l., chlamys across l. shoulder; in left field crescent, ✶ in right.
In ex. PLN
RIC VII London –; LMCC 8.12.002

RIC_VII_London_PRINCIPIA.jpg.434fa3739106b85ed90419c1f4f5ccfd.jpg

Constantine I
A.D. 317- 318
18mm      3.4g
IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
PRINCIPIA I-VVENTTVTIS; Constantine in military dress standing right, head right, cloak spread, reversed spear in right and left resting on shield; crescent in left field.       
In ex. PLN     
RIC VII London --; LMCC 8.11.013
should come after RIC VII London 132
Reportedly ex Bourton-on-the-Water Hoard.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

15 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

It would be cool if somebody would make a google sheets doc (or something) to keep track of what major types and subtypes from LMCC (Cloke & Toone) we've covered in this thread... anyone? 😽

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vJb1SxFUfztC_YrfDAPFW7vpTFSqNUvcZnL7Ety2r2E/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the sheet I made for personal use, tracking the person and the type, and not legend or bust varieties.  Anyone please feel free to make a copy of it and edit it how you see fit.  This particular copy I have linked can't be edited for obvious reasons.

• Thanks 1

Here is a sub-variation of the SOLI INVICTO COMITI type

Constantine the Great - Follis

Obv:– IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev:– SOLI INVICTO COMITI, Sol standing left holding globe in left and raising right
Minted in London (T | F / PLN) A.D. Autumn A.D. 310
Reference(s) – RIC VI London 122 var. LMCC 6.02.011 var

Sol is usually depicted as holding the globe sitting in a flat palm and in this pose the chlamys draped to the left of the globe, Here the globe is bein held with the palm wrapped around the outside of the globe with the globve towards the body. The chlamys in this case drapes to the right. 

Possibly an early example of the type at the mint before the standard type was adopted.

4.47g. 23.55 mm. 180 degrees

RI_160hh_img.JPG

• Like 6

Constantine the Great - Follis

Obv:– CONSTANTINVS P AVG, Laureate cuirassed bust right
Rev:– COMITI AVGG NN, Sol radiate standing left, holding globe and whip
Minted in London (_ | * //PLN) A.D. 310-312
Reference(s) – RIC VI London 169 (S citing Oxford)

RI_160fm_img.jpg

• Like 5

I did own this one:-

Constantine II - Follis 

Obv:– CONSTANTINVS IVN N C, Laureate, cuirassed bust left wearing trabea, holding Victoriola in right hand
Rev:– BEATA TRANQLITAS, Altar inscribed VOT/IS/XX, surmounted by globe with plain vertical lines and diagonals between horizontal lines, three stars above
Minted in London (//PLON).
Reference:– RIC VII London - (Not listed with this bust type from London).

Leetoone proposes in his paper on the London mint in Numismatic Circular that all busts of this type with the Victoriola are poorly interpreted versions of the type with Victoriola and Mappa as in RIC VII London 288.

RI_168at_img.jpg

• Like 6

On 6/16/2022 at 6:02 AM, maridvnvm said:

Minted by Carausius in the names of Diocletian and Maximianus Herculius.....

More of the same old Pax types- centering was not a strong point then.

ru3200fd2910.jpg.2e89ec356a830440a8f4bffa85bbad87.jpgru3485bb3048.jpg.78918685b42135b50eee54dcfd4c69f5.jpg

HILARITAS AVGGG for Maximianus

ru3480fd2206.jpg.3a46997d80125735578a9a0ae5c057ca.jpg

Finally this Pax was sold to me as London but the mintmark area suffers from having been overstruck on a Victorinus Salus.  Can you confirm the London ID?  What is the single stroke between the G of AVG and the head of Salus.

rt3455bb3118.jpg.726eebee768d0aa582607619730f159e.jpg

Edited by dougsmit
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, dougsmit said:

Finally this Pax was sold to me as London but the mintmark area suffers from having been overstruck on a Victorinus Salus.  Can you confirm the London ID?  What is the single stroke between the G of ACG and the head of Salus.

rt3455bb3118.jpg.726eebee768d0aa582607619730f159e.jpg

If the upside down F-O in the fields relate to Pax, it's probably London. The issues from Camulodunum usually have nothing or S-P / S-C in the fields. The obverse legend seems to end AV rather than AVG, like RIC V, Londinium 110.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 7:21 AM, thejewk said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vJb1SxFUfztC_YrfDAPFW7vpTFSqNUvcZnL7Ety2r2E/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the sheet I made for personal use, tracking the person and the type, and not legend or bust varieties.  Anyone please feel free to make a copy of it and edit it how you see fit.  This particular copy I have linked can't be edited for obvious reasons.

Not sure if CT has it, but there's at least one reverse type missing there: Consecratio for Chlorus (in ANS collection), as well as more recent ones such as London Mars bust.

I'm curious why Virtvs Avgg Et Caess NN is listed there as "only" RR, vs Victoria Avgg RRR? I assume this follows CT? I'm only aware of a single specimen of each (VAEC NN in the Fitzwilliam museum, and VA from Downside hoard in Somerset). Does CT list more than one specimen of VAEC NN ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

Not sure if CT has it, but there's at least one reverse type missing there: Consecratio for Chlorus (in ANS collection), as well as more recent ones such as London Mars bust.

I'm curious why Virtvs Avgg Et Caess NN is listed there as "only" RR, vs Victoria Avgg RRR? I assume this follows CT? I'm only aware of a single specimen of each (VAEC NN in the Fitzwilliam museum, and VA from Downside hoard in Somerset). Does CT list more than one specimen of VAEC NN ?

Yes, I've not expanded it beyond what is listed in the main body of CT, I never got around to the supplemental additions, so those could indeed be added.

You are also correct in your second paragraph, CT lists them as RR and RRR respectively, but in the notes they are both listed as being known from only one example each, so I assume it is an error and that both should be RRR.

Edit: also I'll just note here that the 00 numbers at the beginning are clearly not in CT, but seemed relevant enough for me to list as being of importance to the early coinage of Britannia.

Edited by thejewk
  • Like 3

This to add to our single Diocletian...

Diocletian Follis, 298-300image.png.532969c4b6747e5322ee45bb3843e31b.pngLondinium. Bronze, 10.65g. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right; IMP DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG. Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopia; GENIO POPVLI ROMANI (RIC VI, 6a).

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 6

Diocletian Follis, 305-307

image.png.6b70051730337f3ae9e206472901c0c0.png

Londinium. Bronze, 27mm, 10.51g. Laureate bust of Diocletian right, wearing imperial mantle, holding olive branch and mappa (napkin); D N DIOCLETIANO FELICISSIMO SEN AVG. Providentia standing facing, head right, receiving olive branch from Quies standing facing, head left, holding branch and sceptre; PROVIDENTIA DEORVM QVIES AVGG (RIC VI, 77a).

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 5