Finally got a Justinian I solidus.

JayAg47

At last got my hands on a Roman gold! it's also my oldest gold and the most expensive coin that I've ever bought. 

I was saving up for nearly four months, not buying a single coin! and I treated myself with this solidus last week. 

Justinianus.jpg.1b8aada750b939878ec736838e9538f3.jpg

4.48g, 21mm, Constantinople mint (1st Officina), 545-565 AD.

A Roman gold, (anything pre-Heraclius) was on my bucket list, my interests are from the imperatorial period to the third century crisis, and the reconquest of Justinian I, and up to Heraclius, whose reign saw the eventual decline of the empire. However, an aureus from the early empire is totally out of reach, even a worn underweight aureus cost in the thousands. The next choice is the late western/early eastern empire, which I'm not as fond of, also the emperors don't excite me to spend so much. Which leaves me with the next big event, the reconquest of Justinian I, although I wonder if a common person from Rome or Carthage saw them as liberators!

However I still consider him the Optimus Princeps of his era, other than his reconquest assisted by his general Belisarius, he overcame so much obstacles in his reign such a the Nika riots, the major Justinian plague wiping out most of the population, and despite that, he consolidated the empire, built Hagia Sophia, and produced Corpus Juris Civilis. For these reasons I wanted to have a gold coin issued by him.

Now onto the coin, at first I planned on going for the cheaper options of tremissis or semissis, but turns out they're not so cheap! even a banged up worn tremissis is almost 500 AUD, and semissis are much rarer and cost as much as some solidi. So if I'm going to splurge, I might as well have more meat on the coin and went looking for a solidus, It did not matter which variety as long as it is under 1000 AUD (700 USD). Also I did not want to buy it from European or American sellers, simply because of lengthy shipping (>1 month) even after paying exorbitant shipping and taxes, also I felt more comfortable buying it within Australia. In regards to the coin, I want the bust as clear as possible, all the legends readable, minimal wear, and the weight as close to the real value. Luckily I came across a new listing of my coin from a dealer in Brisbane, which ticked all my checklist and the budget, and it only took 2 days to arrive! 

Here's a closer look.

205233663_justcloseup.jpg.994d8f776beb79bb9e8ae87ab528048a.jpg

Please post your Justinian coins or any Roman/Byzantine gold!

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 19
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

1 hour ago, JayAg47 said:

However I still consider him the Optimus Princeps of his era, other than his reconquest assisted by his general Belisarius, he overcame so much obstacles in his reign such a the Nika riots, the major Justinian plague wiping out most of the population, and despite that, he consolidated the empire, built Hagia Sophia, and produced Corpus Juris Civilis. For these reasons I wanted to have a gold coin issued by him.

Nice coin!

What are the best books/sources that cover the history of Justinian ?

I had to google "Corpus Juris Civilis", which I see is another name for the Justianian Code. What I didn't realize is that the Justianian Code was meant to be the sole source of law, overriding any other written source, such as Theodosian's code, which perhaps makes it a bit odd that the latter seems to be better known and is still taught to law students. I wonder if Justianian's code includes dates and locations of the laws it aggregates ? Theodosian's code did this, which makes it very useful for tracking the whereabouts of the emperors who's laws it covers!

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, JayAg47 said:

At last got my hands on a Roman gold! it's also my oldest gold and the most expensive coin that I've ever bought. 

I was saving up for nearly four months, not buying a single coin! and I treated myself with this solidus last week. 

Justinianus.jpg.1b8aada750b939878ec736838e9538f3.jpg

4.48g, 21mm, Constantinople mint (1st Officina), 545-565 AD.

A Roman gold, (anything pre-Heraclius) was on my bucket list, my interests are from the imperatorial period to the third century crisis, and the reconquest of Justinian I, and up to Heraclius, whose reign saw the eventual decline of the empire. However, an aureus from the early empire is totally out of reach, even a worn underweight aureus cost in the thousands. The next choice is the late western/early eastern empire, which I'm not as fond of, also the emperors don't excite me to spend so much. Which leaves me with the next big event, the reconquest of Justinian I, although I wonder if a common person from Rome or Carthage saw them as liberators!

Now onto the coin, at first I planned on going for the cheaper options of tremissis or semissis, but turns out they're not so cheap! even a banged up worn tremissis is almost 500 AUD, and semissis are much rarer and cost as much as some solidi. So if I'm going to splurge, I might as well have more meat on the coin and went looking for a solidus, It did not matter which variety as long as it is under 1000 AUD (700 USD). Also I did not want to buy it from European or American sellers, simply because of lengthy shipping (>1 month) even after paying exorbitant shipping and taxes, also I felt more comfortable buying it within Australia. In regards to the coin, I want the bust as clear as possible, all the legends readable, minimal wear, and the weight as close to the real value. Luckily I came across a new listing of my coin from a dealer in Brisbane, which ticked all my checklist and the budget, and it only took 2 days to arrive! 

Here's a closer look.

205233663_justcloseup.jpg.994d8f776beb79bb9e8ae87ab528048a.jpg

Please post your Justinian coins or any Roman/Byzantine gold!

Jay, Nice score 🤩. Your coin looks well struck & a high-grade example. The die work on nearly all his solidi is pretty rough. In the 1980s you could score nice looking examples in mint state for $100.00, but those days are over 😏. I scored the coin pictured below at a CNG auction about 5 years ago for $605.75 (including buyers fee), & later had it slabbed.

1802750553_2101304-004AKCollection.jpg.fa5b1860275da610db9266f1ee337c72.jpg

• Like 11

Constantine VII with Romanus II.   circa 945-959 AD.   A nicer example than most, but the doubling of the inscription makes me want to adjust my glasses.   I never seem able to trade up to a nicer example, because the mechanics of selling are inconvenient, and buying a new and different type coin always appeals more.  And the side depicting Christ is pretty awesome.  image.jpeg.3b4cec991141737dc2a34482a17bd356.jpegConstantineimage.jpeg.3aa74be5e82c03b751ead0ad167b80a0.jpeg

• Like 10