Let's not rely on AI ...

David Soknacki

I thought members would be interested in my correspondence with ChatGPT. While AI has many uses, one still needs to be careful.

To summarize what's below, ChatGPT keeps misdescribing the obverse of the classical period Athenian tetradrachm even when corrected.
D

The correspondence starts here:

can you produce an image of an Athenian tetradrachm from the period 454 to 404 BC?

As an AI language model, I don't have the ability to produce images. However, I can describe an Athenian tetradrachm from the period 454 to 404 BC for you.

An Athenian tetradrachm from this period would have been a silver coin with a weight of approximately 17.2 grams. The obverse (front) of the coin would feature the head of the goddess Athena, facing right. She would be wearing a crested helmet with olive leaves and a floral scroll. The reverse (back) of the coin would depict an owl, the symbol of Athena, standing on an amphora (a type of ancient Greek jar) with an olive sprig and crescent moon in the background. The inscription "ΑΘΕ" (short for "ΑΘΗΝΑΙΩΝ," meaning "of the Athenians") would also be present on the reverse.

Me:
Sorry but that is not correct. During the period 454 to 404 BC the obverse did not show an owl on an amphora.

I apologize for the error in my previous response. You are correct that the Athenian tetradrachms from the period 454 to 404 BC did not feature the owl on an amphora on the obverse.

During this period, the obverse of the tetradrachm depicted the head of the goddess Athena, facing right, wearing a crested helmet with olive leaves and a floral scroll. The helmet was adorned with three olive leaves on each side, and the scroll was usually located behind Athena's head. The inscriptions around the image of Athena varied over time, but typically included the word "ΑΘΕ" (short for "ΑΘΗΝΑΙΩΝ," meaning "of the Athenians").

The reverse of the coin featured an image of an owl, the symbol of Athena, standing on an overturned amphora. The owl was depicted facing forward with its wings spread, and the amphora was often decorated with floral designs. The inscription around the image of the owl typically read "ΑΘΕ" as well.

I hope this information is helpful, and please let me know if you have any further questions!

Me:
Do you not see the contradiction in your response? You started with "the Athenian tetradrachms from the period 454 to 404 BC did not feature the owl on an amphora" but later wrote "the coin featured an image of an owl, the symbol of Athena, standing on an overturned amphora."

I apologize for the confusion. My previous response contained an error in the description of the obverse and reverse sides of the Athenian tetradrachm from the period 454 to 404 BC.

To clarify, the obverse side of the coin featured the head of the goddess Athena, facing right, wearing a crested helmet with olive leaves and a floral scroll. The inscriptions around the image of Athena typically included the word "ΑΘΕ" (short for "ΑΘΗΝΑΙΩΝ," meaning "of the Athenians").

The reverse side of the coin featured an image of an owl, the symbol of Athena, facing forward with its wings spread. The owl was often depicted standing on a prostrate amphora, which had a distinctive shape with two handles and a wide body. The inscription around the image of the owl typically read "ΑΘΕ" as well.

Once again, I apologize for any confusion my previous response may have caused. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Edited by David Soknacki
removal of personal information
  • Like 2