Identification Struggles on Late Roman Imperial Coinage. Any advice appreciated...

Hughie Dwyer

Hello all, 

Being new to collecting, I often encounter difficulties when trying to research my coins and the Empire itself. Usually, I work around them and everything works out fine.

However, there has been one problem hanging over me for some time:

Back when I first started collecting, I bought a lot of uncleaned/unresearched coins from the Late Roman Empire (not worth it in my opinion) and I have now come to the point that I feel I must properly identify them. I know the basics of each coin (e.g. the emperor, the obverse, the reverse) but finding the mints and the 'RIC value' seems impossible.

At last, after many hours of research, I have come to the FORVM to ask for the assistance from more experienced members.

I have a few questions:

What do you do if you can't properly identify a coin?

Can you always Identify a coin/a coin's mint?

How do I know if I have identified the right emperor? This sounds like a silly question but, to me, most of the portraits look the same and some of the coins don't have a readable legend to go by.

I will post pictures of the coins soon

Thanks in advance for any help - it is much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Hugh

Edited by Hughie Dwyer
  • Like 4

As our final examples, we have these:

Screenshot2023-02-1321_59_53.png.3bd020d4e94b1606ab93cbd97d5ac377.png

Screenshot2023-02-1321_59_45.png.76c82236e7e57b003b7fd9ef6c6d630e.png

Here, both these coins have been cleaned with harsh chemicals before purchase and so obscuring much of the important writing.

On the first, I have tried to discern the meaning but have had limited luck.

As for the latter, I have almost given up.

Many thanks for viewing,

HD

P.S.  Please feel free to notify me of any problems/mistakes with what I have put.

• Like 8

• Benefactor

I think you are mostly right. Good work. It's hard with the "uncleaned" hoards to get much out of them. I started with those when I got back into the hobby in 2013. Lots of culls and coins which were featureless, like 60% of the one kilogram lot I purchased. If I had $2 for every FEL TEMP REPARATIO coin of Constantius II I received I would have made a profit on the purchase!

This one reminds me of your Constans piece but is Constantius II from Antioch....

phoenix1.jpg

phoenix2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello again,

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

@seth77 Yes, I think that you are right. Looking at the obscured obeverse legend, it does seem to say 'DN THEODO-SIVS PF AVG' which matches up with him. 

@Al Kowsky Your coin indeed looks to be a much nicer version of mine.

@Ancient Coin Hunter Our coins are quite similar!

However, it is this coin that I am researching now. :

Screenshot2023-02-1610_17_52.png.5b2b0a5283e8d76720935e3394874776.png

I have it down as 'FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C' but actually the legend does not match up.

I found this coin on Wildwinds.com and I believe it might have the same obverse legend as my coin: 'FL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES'

THIS IS NOT MY COIN

Screenshot2023-02-1610_19_11.png.c2a3d1f0f29d565326d4825d2cdae4f2.png

However, there is no coin on any database that I have searched that has this obverse with my reverse. Is it possible that this could happen? Do you think that I am worrying over nothing?

Many thanks for viewing,

Hugh

P.S. I will be researching this coin (as well as others) further and will update you on any progress.

I have similar problems on other coins.

I will hopefully update the BAD photos soon to see if that makes it any easier.

Edited by Hughie Dwyer
  • Like 5

...and maybe not...

Sorry to bump this thread again but I have this coin where, once again, the legends fails to match up with what I have it down as.

Again, I have this down as 'FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C' but this coin actually looks more like it says 'CONSTANTINVS ...', which made me think that this was actually a Constantine I. Anyways, as per usual, and help is always much appreciated and thank you for all the help that I have already received.

Screenshot 2023-02-20 17.37.51.png

Screenshot 2023-02-20 17.41.49.png

• Like 4

The first coin is Constantine II, from Trier

1 hour ago, Hughie Dwyer said:

...and maybe not...

Sorry to bump this thread again but I have this coin where, once again, the legends fails to match up with what I have it down as.

Again, I have this down as 'FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C' but this coin actually looks more like it says 'CONSTANTINVS ...', which made me think that this was actually a Constantine I. Anyways, as per usual, and help is always much appreciated and thank you for all the help that I have already received.

The second coin is Constantius Gallus 

1 hour ago, Hughie Dwyer said:

For this coin:

Screenshot2023-02-2018_04_47.png.b6904956130985cd34d8c2ac5299836d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1