Constans II Æ Follis Syracuse...

ewomack

Bronze Constans II coins in which the portrait and surface features appear even somewhat well defined seem relatively uncommon. His thick, flowing beard and sometimes rather muppet-like appearance have their own appeal, but they often vanish into the field as worn indistinguishable blobs. The coin below is, believe it or not, the best bronze Constans II coin that I've yet come across within my reach. One can at least make out the emperor for the most part and the globus cruciger really stands out. The letters all remain fairly legible as well. In hand, the coin reveals different details in different shades of light, especially on the lower chlamys. Perhaps I have some kind of aesthetic disease, but I absolutely love the ugly beauty of Byzantine coins like this one. For me, even the grossly irregular flan adds interest.

641_to_668_ConstansII_AE_Follis_01.png.d5df119387fb4e039a356da334bb3208.png641_to_668_ConstansII_AE_Follis_02.png.6c01d0864d8b2fd675d193491d96d9d3.png
Constans II (641-668), Æ Follis / 40 Nummi, Syracuse, 652-3, Æ, 23-27mm 6g; Obv: Constans standing facing, wearing crown and chlamys, holding globus cruciger in right hand; I/H/Δ to l., I/A to right; Rev: Large M; cross above; SCL. MIB 208; DOC 179; Sear 1108

History hasn't paid Constans II too much attention overall, but he managed to rule for 27 years despite a very rapid Muslim expansion, lost territory, and other uprisings. He relocated the Empire's capital to Syracuse on Sicily and carried on the Heraclian dynasty until, according to Sayles, a servant killed him in his bath with a soap dish. Based on his coins, one can only imagine how wonderful a beard he must have possessed.

Please post your amazingly bearded Constans II coins!

• Like 15

Minted at Syracuse during the reign of Constans II between September 641 - 15 July 668. Obv. No Legend. Constans (on l.), with long beard, and Constantine IV (on r.), beardless, stg. facing, each wearing crown; Constans wears military attire,  and holds long cross; his son wears chlamys and holds gl.cr.  Rev. Large M; above, Monogram 35; in ex., SCL; to l., Heraclius, beardless, stg. facing, wearing crown and chlamys, and holding gl. cr.; to r., similar figure of Tiberius. BCVS #1110

96 CONSTANS II OBV.jpg

96 CONSTANS II REV1.jpg

Edited by Jims,Coins
  • Like 11

Good ol' father time...Both coins are lovely!

Byzantine Empire: Constans II (641-668) Æ Half Follis, Syracuse (Sear 1113; DOC II.183; MIB 212; Anastasi 118; Berk 699)

Obv: Crowned facing bust with long beard, wearing chlamys and holding globus cruciger; cross surmounted by palm frond to right
Rev: Large Kω monogram; A/N and I across field

Byzantine Empire: Constans II (641-668) Æ Half Follis, Syracuse (Sear 1113; DOC II.183; MIB 212; Anastasi 118; Berk 699) Obv: Crowned facing bust with long beard, wearing chlamys and holding globus cruciger; cross surmounted by palm frond to right  Rev: Large Kω monogram; A/N and I across field

Edited by quant.geek
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

One more. Got it from Nomo Oct 2021

1109.jpg.e8af31c7aabfaeba23a1b0f30815ef1a.jpg

Constans II, with Constantine IV, 641-668. Follis (Bronze, 23.5 mm, 4.06 g, 6 h), Syracuse. Constans on left, resting right hand on hip and holding long staff in left, and Constantine IV, on right, holding globus cruciger in right hand, standing facing. Rev. SCL Large M; monogram above. Anastasi 157. DOC 180. MIB 209. SB 1109. A wonderful example, well struck and with an attractive brown patina. Good very fine.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1