A Tarentum Imitative Coin of Kyzikos

Hesiod

image.thumb.png.e08b24d28bc038ac464c39cdda8cde0c.png

Mysia. Kyzikos. EL Stater. 450-330 BC. Nude youth (Taras?) riding dolphin left, holding tunny in right hand; below tunny left. / Quadripartite Incuse Square. von Fritze 110. SNG BnF 251. BMFA 1486. Jameson 2184. 

This issue from Kyzikos is part of a series of imitative coins, minted in the types of other cities. A relatively small series from the mint, Kyzikos issued a series of coinage that imitates famous coinage from other mints, such as Tarentum, Velia, Akanthos, etc. This example references the dolphin riders of Tarentum, which continues from some of the earliest issues down to the last Nomos' of the mint. This is matched by another type imitative of the horse rider side of the coins of Tarentum. 

• Like 23

Interesting. I had no idea that this happened, but I guess it makes sense given that Tarentine staters & nomoi were issued to pay the different mercenaries brought in to protect the city from the neighbouring Iapygian and Messapian tribes, so other regions would no doubt be exposed to the type. After all, the Tarentine coinage with Phalanthos the dolphin rider and the horsemen is one of the most extensive in Magna Grecia.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An enviable coin. I have a few Kyzikos staters - perhaps this one could be considered imitative of Corinth ?

image.png.13037fd062f576117aee84d0a6c6f740.png

Mysia, Kyzikos EL Stater. Circa 550-500 BC.

Head of Athena left, wearing Corinthian helmet; tunny fish downward behind

Quadripartite incuse square.

Von Fritze 63; Boston 1432; Greenwell 26; SNG France -.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Charles H said:

An enviable coin. I have a few Kyzikos staters - perhaps this one could be considered imitative of Corinth ?

image.png.13037fd062f576117aee84d0a6c6f740.png

Mysia, Kyzikos EL Stater. Circa 550-500 BC.

Head of Athena left, wearing Corinthian helmet; tunny fish downward behind

Quadripartite incuse square.

Von Fritze 63; Boston 1432; Greenwell 26; SNG France -.

In my opinion this fits squarely into the large run of busts/heads of gods that Kyzikos had! Think it fits right in with the series; a lot of individual coins seem to have been inspired by other mints 😃

You have a very nice example!

Edited by Hesiod
  • Like 2