Magnentius Victoria Avg Lib Romanor

Heliodromus

I just received the second coin below today, RIC 180, and am very pleased with it despite the rough condition. It's tough to find.

Magnentius must have been fond of this "Victoria Avg Lib Romanor" legend since his Rome mint issued four different reverse types all with this same legend !

First we have RIC 178 (eagle on globe) and RIC 177 (eagle on standard) in the RP issue. These are large "A" denomination coins (although not marked as such). Then we have RIC 180 (eagle on globe) and RIC 179 (eagle on standard) in the R.F.P issue, now carrying the "A" marking. Finally we have RIC 193 (Chi-Rho on standard) and RIC 192 (Victoria + Libertas, holding trophy) in the smaller "N" denomination. The Victoria + Libertas type was also issued in gold from a number of mints

I don't have RIC 177 yet, although both it and RIC 179 (i.e the eagle-on-standard type) are the easiest ones to find.

RIC 178 (ex. Tory Failmezger)

image.png.4651ccf212b4f18f76c9f878feb68d84.png

RIC 180 (today's arrival - not "returned to sender")

image.png.86f7c0c681f17c580af3888662c719e2.png
RIC 179

image.png.ad73cf455497701c481fd27345edee38.png

RIC 193 var - IM CAE vs IMP CAE, and appears cuirassed only vs cuirassed and draped

image.png.e9f1f3cec9e52dee231e5dbc353c7fc2.png

RIC 192

image.png.c3d8a5e12dd427bf4b9729c3bb91081b.png

One interesting thing about these types is that it appears the eagle-on-globe (+ spear) and eagle-on-standard (+ branch) types were issued together (in both the RP and R.F.P issues) yet the eagle-on-globe ones are much rarer.

Presumably the later "N" denomination types were also co-issued.

Two variants of the Chi-Rho design, but with a different "Victoria Avg Et Caes" legend, were also issued from Siscia during Magentius's brief control of that mint, with the new legend reflecting Decentius appointment and inclusion on those Siscian types.

The officina designations used at Rome are also interesting. As a western mint Rome started with latin numeral designations P/S/T/Q, but that only works up to 4 since next in sequence after Quarta would be Quinta - another Q. Rome's solution was to switch to greek letter designations for officinas  5+, so we have Epsilon (E) for 5 and Digamma (S) for 6. However, this now introduces a new problem since latin S (Secunda = 2) and greek S (Digamma = 6) look pretty much the same, so Rome's solution was to switch to greek for officina 2 also, replacing S(ecunda) with B(eta), giving us a final lineup of:

1 = P (latin)

2 = B (greek)

3 = T (latin)

4 = Q (latin)

5 = E (greek)

6 = S (greek)

All very logical in a Roman kind of way.

Please show your favorites of Magentius and Decentius.

• Like 12
  • Confused 2

Great pick up!

Here is my Magnentius RIC 179. He is super shiny in hand. I'm not sure what the previous owner applied to the coin to make it like that.

Magnentius AE2. IMP CAE MAGNENTIVS AVG, bare-headed, draped, cuirassed bust right / VICTORIA AVG LIB ROMANOR, emperor, bare-headed and in military dress, standing right holding standard, decorated with an eagle, and olive branch, foot captive seated to right, A in left field. Mintmark R dot F dot P.

445167301_MagnentiusAE2RomeVICTORIAAVGLIBROMANORRFT.png.3ee5b6fc52b3bb7d7020dafa29204747.png

• Like 10

And an odd one, type generally as 179 but with reverse reading GLORIA AVG - LIB ROMANOR instead of VICTORIA AVG etc. Pure speculation, but perhaps indicates that 181 (emperor galloping) with legend GLORIA ROMANORVM was struck first and the die engraver realised halfway around that they had the wrong legend?

626A1EDF-9AC6-4AE5-A4BA-95E89BB12FBC.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Very nice. I have a few of Magnentius but only the common types. Lugdunum seems to have produced a lot of coins at this time that found their way to Britain. They come in quite a range of styles, many of which might be barbarous or semi-official.

Magnentius Centenionalis, 350-351

image.png.e0b3eacabc8207fd9bcad7cacd946268.png

Lugdunum. Bronze/billon, 22mm, 5.25g. Rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust to right; D N MAGNENTIVS P F AVG. Emperor standing to left, holding Victory on globe and labarum in right hand and standard with ☧ on banner in left hand; FELICITAS REIPVBLICAE, RPLG in exergue (RIC VIII, 112). From the Freckenham (Suffolk) Hoard 1948.

Magnentius Centenionalis, 350-351

image.png.5b957ca20e03d85d885ee4f6e7ab7039.png

Lugdunum(?). Billon, 20mm, 4.53g. Bust of Magnentius, bare-headed, draped, cuirassed, right, A behind bust; D N MAGNEN-TIVS P F AVG. Magnentius, draped, cuirassed, standing left, holding Victory on globe and labarum in right hand and standard with ☧ on banner in left hand; FELICITAS - REI PVBLICAE, RPLG in exergue (RIC VIII, 114). From the Freckenham (Suffolk) Hoard 1948.

Decentius (Caesar) Centenionalis, 350-353image.png.0bcbc386faf7678b9d89c5d7f1ca5ef9.png

Lugdunum. Bronze, 23mm, 5.92g. Bareheaded and cuirassed bust right; D N DECENT(I-VS NOB CAES). Large Chi-Rho ☧, flanked by A and ω; SALVS DD NN A(VG ET CAES); PSLG in exergue (cf RIC VIII, 157/159). From the Bridgnorth (Shropshire) Hoard 2007.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Kiaora said:

Pure speculation, but perhaps indicates that 181 (emperor galloping) with legend GLORIA ROMANORVM was struck first and the die engraver realised halfway around that they had the wrong legend?

Yes, it does seem that way. Neat coin!

Great series @Heliodromus. I love those little sets of coins. From the low number of entries one could think "well that's an easy job", but in the end youfind yourself spending years to put them together : I experienced that with Plautilla denarii and the Divi series.

"Mad Mags" : @Ryro you killed me 😄

My Magnentius and Decentius are very common

767f31aa50b7476ba10402c4129b971f.jpg

Magnentius, AE 1 - Amiens mint, AD 353, seventh phase (before Aug 10th)
D N MAGNEN TIVS P F AVG, Draped bust of Magnentius right
SALVS DD NN AVG ET CAES, Large christogram between alpha and omega. AMB at exergue
9.20 gr
Ref : Cohen #30, LRBC #19, Bastien # 135 (15 ex), RIC # 34 (C)

b9a34885467a46a8a39da62807e5977f.jpg

Magnentius, Maiorina - Trier mint, 1st officina,
DN MAGNENTIVS PF AVG, bare bust draped right, A behind
VICTORIA DD NN AVG ET CAE, two victories holding a wreath where is inscribed : VOT/V/MVLT/X. TRP at exergue
4.73 gr
Ref : Cohen # 68, Roman coins # 4024, LRBC # 56,

6680a335b7a74a9e92cc221793c11771.jpg

Decentius, Maiorina - Lyon mint
DN DECENTIVS CAES, bare bust, cuirassed right
VICTORIA DD NN AVG ET CAE, two victories holding a wreath where is inscribed : VOT/V/MVLT/X. Dot and SV in field
4.46 gr
Ref : Cohen # 33, Roman coins # 4035, LRBC # 224

Q

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

15 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

Great series @Heliodromus. I love those little sets of coins. From the low number of entries one could think "well that's an easy job", but in the end youfind yourself spending years to put them together : I experienced that with Plautilla denarii and the Divi series.

Thanks!

Yes, it took 15 years from getting the first eagle-on-globe, ex. Failmezger, to getting this new one! No doubt I missed one or two (I passed on a poor RIC 180 in 2018), but definitely patience required !

• Like 1