I Learned Two New Words Today

Al Kowsky

While browsing through some recent auction records today I stumbled on two words that were real "head scratchers" used in a Celtic coin description 😖. Of course I did a Google search to find their meanings 🧐. I'm fairly certain I'll never use these two words describing any of my coins, but I'll feel less ignorant should I see them again 😏. Pictured below is the coin & description.

1396429179_cbg.frAuction7December2021.image00214.thumb.jpg.4be755dac5ec37e547b571a2aea3cd47.jpg

cgb.fr> Internet Auction December 2021, Lot number: 214. Price realized: 2,000 EUR (2,249 USD), hammer price minus buyer's fee. 

VENETI (Area of Vannes), circa 60-50 BC. Billon Stater: 4.94 gm, 22.5 mm, 4 h. Rarity: R3. Obverse: Head to right, hair in three scrolls and large strands ending in S, realistic and pointed nose; the base of the neck strongly marked. Reverse: Androcephalous horse, bridled to the right; the aurige holds a spear (?) with his left hand that joins a shield or a four- spoked wheel behind the aurige; under the horse, a seahorse on the right.

OK, androcephalous is a horse with a human head, duh... An aurige in ancient times was a charioteer who raced for sport and money, usually a quadriga. This coin caught my eye because I've got a similar Veneti stater that is older, struck from fine silver, and has much finer die work. Now lets be honest, did any member of this forum know the meaning of these two arcane words ?

994542624_VenetiARStater.thumb.jpg.59dce23da5e8dc63928154d5de43d8e6.jpg

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Alegandron said:

@Al Kowsky LOL. Cool.

gorgeous coins, too! I want them both. I need to start collecting Celtic...

Celtic coins have turned out to be a wonderful diversion for me, they have aesthetic expressions & energy you rarely see in other ancient coins 😊. For collectors entertaining the idea of getting into Celtic coins I highly recommend the book Coinage in the Celtic World by Daphine Nash. The book isn't a standard catalog, rather it's a historical study of many Celtic tribes packed with fascinating info you won't find in other books. 

628698011_DaphneNash.jpg.006f2f6b3c0ad6446817dfeb0b9fbda3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Al Kowsky said:

Celtic coins have turned out to be a wonderful diversion for me, they have aesthetic expressions & energy you rarely see in other ancient coins 😊. For collectors entertaining the idea of getting into Celtic coins I highly recommend the book Coinage in the Celtic World by Daphine Nash. The book isn't a standard catalog, rather it's a historical study of many Celtic tribes packed with fascinating info you won't find in other books. 

628698011_DaphneNash.jpg.006f2f6b3c0ad6446817dfeb0b9fbda3.jpg

Thank you!