Doing the due diligence

zadie

With CNG's post-triton esale closing today I did a last sweep of the catalouge to see if I had missed anything that I wanted to bid on. Browsing through the RR section I was surprised I had not added this coin to my watchlist:

image.jpeg.a81f7b87a20bac52499bd6eeaebc4ec1.jpeg

The Liberators. C. Cassius Longinus. Spring 42 BC. AR Denarius. Struck at a military mint, Smyrna (?). Pulius Cornelius Lentulus Spinther, legatus. Diademed head of Libertas right, LEIBERTAS / Capis and lituus, LENTVLVS - SPINT. 17.5mm, 3.16 g. Crawford 500/3.

Looking closer at the lot description I found out why I had skipped it when browsing earlier, it was a fourrée. I don't have any particular desire to collect fourrées but I was impressed by the style and metal of this coin. My curiosity piqued, I did my usual thing trying to find die matches on acsearch. No more than a few minutes after beginning I found this coin that sold with Elsen in 2016:

image.png.871163cea7a9d69f2fb893b89329f75b.png

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4221805

An obverse die match, it certainly didn't strike me as a fourrée. Fairly confident at this point that the CNG coin wasn't plated, I kept looking for more die matches to substantiate that.

image.png.259a5fb6706e0103aeb27cc3d7999b0e.png

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2710587

image.jpeg.10681be94481f57cf08724dda8b746c2.jpeg

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3059440

And so, I'm happy to add what is usually quite an expensive coin to my growing RR set. It might not be a stunner but there's a certain satisfaction to getting a good deal because you did the due diligence.

Edited by zadie
  • Like 14
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

Cool!  Is that a hoard patina?

What's going on with the edge around 5'oclock on acsearch 2710587?  Delamination?

1068361744_C.CassiusLonginus-ARDenarius-Craw500-5Syd1305SRCVI1447-2aFForum1602xx.jpg.0a07ff6eca8f967ff706a3d2d1e35c53.jpg

This more decrepit example emerged when I was compiling my recent excel list.  Purchased during my coin 'dormancy', I had completely forgotten about getting this!

One usually doesn't find decrepit examples of the Liberators; they're usually VF or above.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Cool!  Is that a hoard patina?

What's going on with the edge around 5'oclock on acsearch 2710587?  Delamination?

I think it's mostly toning, not hoard patina. Regarding the coin from Roma, I'd say yes it's a delamination. Could also be some sort of flan flaw.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1