"Those About to Die", with Anthony Hopkins

Al Kowsky

Anthony Hopkins will star in a new gladiator drama series "Those About to Die", based on a none-fiction book by Daniel P. Mannix. Hopkins will play the part of Emperor Vespasian. See attached link ☺️.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/anthony-hopkins-joins-peacocks-gladiator-drama-series-those-about-to-die-1235225820/#comment-3635240

image.jpeg.918ed2c8567c1435b528cfd8cd2415d3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Clap 1

We solute you! (I believe this was only actually said once, by Claudius, if memory serves)

Dang! Sounds like a lot of fun. 

Hopefully Hopkins neck doesn't look like a package if hotdogs like Vespasian's does in my provincial:

2606163_1647531781.l-removebg-preview.png.7a6c393a7a467f030b99eef03cd3a0c2.png

And a few others in celebration of the new show:

IMG_0369(1).PNG

1873309_1619626410.l-removebg-preview.png

2208556_1632938350.l-removebg-preview.png

• Like 9

Hey, I'll take it! A gladiator-focused show is not what I'd vote for first, but any high-quality Ancient Rome media is more than welcome in my book. I'm always wondering why they don't do more with how popular fantasy/sci-fi dramas have become. 

Hopkins is a master, so I'm hopeful this will end up being a good show. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, David Atherton said:

I love Hopkins as an actor ... but I can't see him as Vespasian. John Goodman would be a better fit. 🙂

The premise of the series sounds very intriguing though.

John Goodman may look more like Vespasian & need less makeup, however, Hopkins acting experience, command of the English language, & flaming oratory make him a better fit. Hopkins is 85 years old 😮, so hopefully he lives long enough to complete this series 🤣.

• Like 2

@DonnaML 2024 is VERY generous. Unless they already had hired Hopkins and others and are only slowly announcing it now, I can't image getting all the eggs in order before filming this year and a whole season release in 2024. But maybe im just a skeptic?

Edited by AETHER
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
5 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

Anthony Hopkins will star in a new gladiator drama series "Those About to Die", based on a none-fiction book by Daniel P. Mannix. Hopkins will play the part of Emperor Vespasian. See attached link ☺️.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/anthony-hopkins-joins-peacocks-gladiator-drama-series-those-about-to-die-1235225820/#comment-3635240

image.jpeg.918ed2c8567c1435b528cfd8cd2415d3.jpeg

Some early editions under the original 1958 title. I suspect that the producers of this series just bought the rights to the title, given that the book itself is apparently non-fiction and covers hundreds of years:

image.png.76ddf4addb95410e3c74c148c3f625a3.png

Picture 1 of 5

Picture 1 of 3

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1

2 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Some early editions under the original 1958 title. I suspect that the producers of this series just bought the rights to the title, given that the book itself is apparently non-fiction and covers hundreds of years:

image.png.76ddf4addb95410e3c74c148c3f625a3.png

Picture 1 of 5

Picture 1 of 3

I've had this book for years and think it's a cracking good read. Not scholarly by any means, but very cinematic in its treatment of the subject. No wonder it's being made into a series!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

John Goodman may look more like Vespasian & need less makeup, however, Hopkins acting experience, command of the English language, & flaming oratory make him a better fit. Hopkins is 85 years old 😮, so hopefully he lives long enough to complete this series 🤣.

Hopkins would be a better fit for one of the many scheming senators that was working against Vespasian behind his back. Goodman's plebeian behaviour fits perfectly with the country bumpkin that came to the purple (despite all that being just Flavian propaganda!). Plus, Vespasian was 69 when he died ... Hopkins playing him at 85 will be a stretch. 

Oh well, I'm just glad someone decided to make this into a series!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 2
  • Smile 1