First auction win of 2023.

Michael Stolt

Won the first coins of 2023 today at the ongoing Artemide auction, I will only share one though, as the other coin will be sent for cleaning first, I just need to find someone with exceptional skills when it comes to cleaning bronze coins - so if anyone is aware of an extremely skilled bronze cleaner, let me know please!

The type I am sharing is extremely difficult to find with any sort of decent strike and patina, this is one of the best specimens of this variation (RRC 17/1g) I have seen, very happy with this addition to my growing set of pre denarius Æ fractions.

image00246.jpg

Roman Republic. Circa 276-260 BC. Æ Half Unit (17.50mm 5.38 g). Uncertain mint (Neapolis?).

Obverse: Helmeted head of Minerva right; below, RO; before, MANO.

Reverse: Bridled horse's head left; before, RO-MA[NO].

Reference: Crawford 17/1g.

• Like 24
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, Michael Stolt said:

Roman Republic. Circa 276-260 BC. Æ Half Unit (17.50mm 5.38 g). Uncertain mint (Neapolis?).

Gratulation!

11 minutes ago, Michael Stolt said:

Artemide auction

I have won this little bronze...

image.png.3aa45b4470646d0a943df8cdc20a8f51.png

Claudius (41-54). AE Quadrans, 42 AD. Obv. TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG. Hand holding scales; in field, P.N.R. Rev. PON M TR IMP PP COS II around large SC. RIC 91. C. 73. AE. 3.23 g. 17.50 mm.

But I will wait -  I have 2 other coins in the "pipeline" comes later today - will see what happens.

• Like 16

12 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Gratulation!

I have won this little bronze...

image.png.3aa45b4470646d0a943df8cdc20a8f51.png

Claudius (41-54). AE Quadrans, 42 AD. Obv. TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG. Hand holding scales; in field, P.N.R. Rev. PON M TR IMP PP COS II around large SC. RIC 91. C. 73. AE. 3.23 g. 17.50 mm.

But I will wait -  I have 2 other coins in the "pipeline" comes later today - will see what happens.

Nice one, good luck on your other targets!

I got my last two coins tonight, which I wanted. Now it's TV time (Barbarians II) - even though I find the second season much worse than the first 🙂 

image.png.a87e9b2f0cec0a93bedd5874f47d951a.png

Probus (276-282). BI Antoninianus, Rome mint. Obv. IMP PROBVS AVG. Helmeted, radiate and cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield. Rev. ROMA AETERNAE. Roma seated facing, holding Victory and sceptre, within hexastyle temple; beneath, R*Γ. RIC V 195. BI. 3.15 g. 25.50 mm. An outstanding example, from a masterly engraved and perfectly detailed dies. Lovely glossy light brown patina on silver surfaces.

image.png.89a89c24080e7c585f425bb1457b10df.png

Commemorative series. Struck under Constantine I. AE Follis. Alexandria mint, 1st officina. Struck AD 330-354. Obv. Laureate and helmeted bust of Constantinopolis left, wearing imperial cloak, holding reversed spear. Rev. Victory standing left on prow, holding spear and shield set on ground to right; in exergue, SMALA. RIC VII 64. AE. 2.73 g. 18.00 mm. Superb coin. Fully silvered, with golden patina.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I got my last two coins tonight, which I wanted. Now it's TV time (Barbarians II) - even though I find the second season much worse than the first 🙂 

image.png.a87e9b2f0cec0a93bedd5874f47d951a.png

Probus (276-282). BI Antoninianus, Rome mint. Obv. IMP PROBVS AVG. Helmeted, radiate and cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield. Rev. ROMA AETERNAE. Roma seated facing, holding Victory and sceptre, within hexastyle temple; beneath, R*Γ. RIC V 195. BI. 3.15 g. 25.50 mm. An outstanding example, from a masterly engraved and perfectly detailed dies. Lovely glossy light brown patina on silver surfaces.

image.png.89a89c24080e7c585f425bb1457b10df.png

Commemorative series. Struck under Constantine I. AE Follis. Alexandria mint, 1st officina. Struck AD 330-354. Obv. Laureate and helmeted bust of Constantinopolis left, wearing imperial cloak, holding reversed spear. Rev. Victory standing left on prow, holding spear and shield set on ground to right; in exergue, SMALA. RIC VII 64. AE. 2.73 g. 18.00 mm. Superb coin. Fully silvered, with golden patina.

I glanced at the TV where I had the auction running when that Probus came up and thought that might be one of the target's you were after, nice ones, congrats!

• Thanks 1

Way to go on that early RR early this year!

Early in the year my first purchase was this late RR:

Screenshot_20230102_123025-removebg-preview (1).png

I had fun learning more about it, the Cosmos and ancient electric guitars here;

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 10

• Benefactor

I had my first wins of the year yesterday. Though there were some disappointing losses, I was happy to pick these two up among others.

3592206_1671210535.l.jpg.722c79fea518ea2f8f68df0d804caf27.jpg

Neonteichos was the last coin on my list from those cities in Aeolis that minted coins between 350-250 BCE. I'd lost out on a previous opportunity but this one turned out to be a much better coin.

3592482_1671210654.l.jpg.6aadef299ae22cc84c2e863223613a3e.jpg

Perhaps I paid too much for this, but I'd been researching Kos and really liked this crab. It will now keep my Priapos crab company.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Ryro said:

Way to go on that early RR early this year!

Early in the year my first purchase was this late RR:

Screenshot_20230102_123025-removebg-preview (1).png

I had fun learning more about it, the Cosmos and ancient electric guitars here;

Nice one! I had a specimen from the same obverse die as yours, which is the most attractive die engraved for this type in my opinion by the way. I recently saw my old specimen is up for sale at TheNumisPlace as I sold it privately to NAC a while back. No photo description available.

Edited by Michael Stolt
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1