a Annius T.f. T.n and L. Fabius L.f. Hispaniensis denarius with lovely toning

Nerosmyfavorite68

I received two packages today and this one arrived, unmauled by the post office.  The UK postal strike caused considerable delays - I had ordered the coin around Thanksgiving.

Has the strike shown any signs of letting up?

It's a neat type but what really sealed the deal was the nice toning.

This rather lovely denarius was a nice nightcap to an aggravating day. I'm too tired to search for the recent threads about this coin type.

1759332249_AnniusT.f.T.nandL.FabiusL.f.HispaniensisDenarius-82-1BC-ARDenarius19mm3.79gCraw366-2a.jpg.dc4536e657b9f12697abd03cad2ac3e3.jpg

C. Annius T.f. T.n and L. Fabius L.f. Hispaniensis, Northern Italy or Spain, 82-81 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.79g, 11h). Draped bust of Anna Perenna r., wearing stephane; C • below neck; all within bead and reel border. R/ Victory driving galloping quadriga r., holding palm frond and reins; Q above horses. Crawford 366/2a; cf. RBW 1378; RSC Annia 3.  ex London Ancient coins.

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 4

Great toning on it.

sexropub.jpg.25f1da4e03e95dca4efa4c9f9d6ac275.jpg

C. Annius T.f. T.n and L. Fabius L.f. Hispaniensis. (82 - 81 B.C.)

AR Denarius
O: C ANNI T F T N PRO COS EX S C, Draped bust of Anna Perenna right, wearing stephane; S • below neck; all within bead and reel border.
R: L·FABI·L·F·HISP Victory driving galloping quadriga right, holding palm frond and reins; Q above horses.
20mm
3.6g
Crawford 366/2a; Sydenham 748c; Annia 3

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, akeady said:

Nice coins but on the mail front the news isn't good as international mail from the UK (by Royal Mail) has been halted now, though not related to strikes:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/cyber-incident-halts-royal-mails-international-export-services/

Here's a Cr. 366/1b... what big eyes you've got, Grandma!

spacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

very nice detail on datun!...kool!

• Like 2

• Benefactor

All very nice examples! Here's mine:

Roman Republic, C. Annius T.f. T.n Luscus and L. Fabius L.f. Hispaniensis, AR Denarius, 82-81 BCE, minted in N. Italy (or Spain). Obv. Female bust right, unidentified [according to Crawford & Sear RCV] but possibly Anna Perenna [see BMCRR & RSC],* draped, wearing diadem, earring of three drops and necklace; hair rolled back and collected into a knot behind, and falling in one lock down the neck; before, scales; behind, winged caduceus; C•ANNI•T•F•T•N• - PRO•COS•EX•S•C around counter-clockwise from 4:00; below bust, control-letter R between two dots / Rev. Victory leaning forward in quadriga of galloping horses right, holding reins in left hand and palm-branch in extended right hand; horse on far right turns head back towards the other three horses; Q above horses; in exergue, [L]•FABI•L•F•HISP. 21 mm., 3.78 g., 4 h. Crawford 366/1b; BMCRR II Spain 13-18 var. [different control-letters]; RSC I Annia 2b & Fabia 17; Sear RCV I 289 (ill. p. 126), RBW Collection 1376 (ill. p. 283). Purchased from Roma Numismatics Ltd. E-Sale 98, 16 Jun 2022, Lot 1071; “from the collection of Z.P., Austria” (with old coin ticket in English on one side and in Italian on other side).**

image.jpeg.0bcda044852b5ce513bf386e5a421a1c.jpeg

*BMCRR II, at p. 353 n. 2 (continuation), identifies the obverse bust as “Anna Perenna, who according to Ovid [citations omitted] was the sister of Dido, and was worshipped in Italy in the character of a rustic deity. It may have been from her that the Annia gens claimed descent. The caduceus, the symbol of commerce, may refer to the corn-producing wealth of Spain, or even to Anna Perenna herself, of whom Ovid relates that when the people of Rome were in want of food she distributed cakes amongst the hungry multitude, who in gratitude erected a temple to her. The scales may have a monetary significance.” RSC I adopts the same identification. Crawford, however, states that “the identity of the deity who forms the obverse type is entirely uncertain.” Crawford I p. 386. Sear RCV I, at p. 126, also declines to identify the obverse figure.

**As stated in BMCRR II at pp. 352-353 n. 2, Caius Annius Luscus was the son of T. Annius Rufus, consul B.C. 128, and grandson of T. Annius Luscus, consul B.C. 153. This information is supplied by the legend on the obverse of the coins. He served under Q. Caecilius Metellus Numidius in Africa in the war against Jugurtha, B.C. 107, commanded the garrison at Leptis, and later, in B.C. 82, was sent by Sulla to Spain, with the title of proconsul, to oppose Sertorius, who had retired there after the collapse of the Marian party in Rome. . . . (T)hese coins were struck under a special mandate of the Senate [hence the “EX•S•C”] by his quaestors, L. Fabius Hispaniensis and C. Tarquitius. [The latter’s name appears only on Crawford 366/4.] . . . . The Victory in a quadriga on the reverse is no doubt intended to record the successes of C. Annius Luscus at the beginning of the campaign.”

See also Crawford I p. 386 (citations omitted): “C. Annius was sent against Q. Sertorius in Spain some time after the middle of 82 B.C.; the early part of the issue, struck in Italy, bears the name of one Quaestor, L. Fabius L.f. Hispaniensis, the later part, struck in Spain, bears also that of C. Tarquitius P.f.; the presence of two Quaestors at this stage is entirely intelligible if C. Annius was in charge of both Spanish provinces. C. Tarquitius is not heard of again, L. Fabius deserted to Sertorius (for which he was proscribed), and shared in his murder.”

I have seen no express explanation of the presence of the letter “Q” above the horses on the reverse (and present on the reverse of all variations of Crawford 366), but it may simply mean “Quaestor.”

• Like 7

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

That's too bad, I guess I'll have to bypass LAC for a month or two.  It's a shame, since that firm's been one of my recent favorites.

I usually have them send things via DHL Express, which arrives very quickly. And isn't that expensive.

• Like 1