I made a gold coin... well a blank tbh!

JayAg47

I happened to get my hands on a gram of scrap gold, and recently I've been watching some jewellery making on youtube, while I can't do much with a gram of gold, I thought why not mint a coin! Luckily I didn't need any elaborate set up, as the 'Tradeflame' kitchen torch that I already have heats up enough to melt gold!

Here's the process,

1911799334_coinminting.png.64d552a7a3a50ec40e0fdeac7c22f40b.png

blanks.jpg.0e0dc1ba833cbf2f09bb836af254f30e.jpg

Well this technically makes it my first coin of 2023?!

Looks like I didn't lose any gold, and has a diameter of 16mmx13mm.Only if I had an engraved die! 

So much work for a tiny bit of coin, makes me appreciate those ancient mint workers who had to slave away in hellish conditions to produce such coins we enjoy today!

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 19
  • Smile 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

P.S. I admire your patience and skill. Since I saw (and admired) your previous projects, I think you have the necessary talent to create something that resembles a coin even more. I know you created some dies in the past and the results were intriguing (in a positive way)

P.S. 2 - the "coin" looks like it has Victory flying left, with wreath in hand, on obverse and the golden fleece on reverse. Nope, I am not drunk.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 4

On 1/5/2023 at 7:50 AM, CPK said:

Very cool!

Here you go @JayAg47. I hope I've described/attributed it correctly. 😜

jayag.jpg.2fc4f05f17906342657454be0311928b.jpg

I literally LOL-ed @ that.

I too have often wondered what it would be like to do something like this.  I’d likely end up creating something thin and medieval in appearance.

If I had any engraving skill at all, which I do not.

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 2
  • Smile 1