REVERSE UPDATE: What would you do?

expat

This coin was in a lot and is the worst of them. Would you try to remove some of the black gunk? You can see at the bottom left that it is quite thick and someone has tried, it appears, to expose more of the silver. If yes, what would be the best course of action. I have only 6 Euros in it so it doesn't matter what happens, it can't look worse than it does now. Cant even attribute it with all the legends that are missing. Gordian III/Victory Antoninianus is as close as I get. 22mm and 4.15gr

1794650383_20230104_121828(2)-side.jpg.1818b8a24f055768389ee1e155fc3ed8.jpg

Edited by expat
  • Like 3

If it was me and i had the time I would give it a shot at removing it. If it helps with identification that is a plus. Making a coin uglier doesn’t ruin its cool factor for me but I know others feel differently about that. In the end if you don’t mind the risk of an uglier coin, researching the process and trying it out might actually be kinda fun.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Curtisimo said:

If it was me and i had the time I would give it a shot at removing it. If it helps with identification that is a plus. Making a coin uglier doesn’t ruin its cool factor for me but I know others feel differently about that. In the end if you don’t mind the risk of an uglier coin, researching the process and trying it out might actually be kinda fun.

Great minds think alike. I actually would like to see what might be lurking underneath. It is soaking now for 24 hours in distilled water and then see what happens with tooth picks and cotton buds before I attempt anything else.

• Like 1

Some of it does look like horn silver, which would need some chemical treatment, I seen users on CT discuss this and show before and after as well as methods. I am not sure who they are or if they have migrated here.  Some results were stunning and showed much more detail and over all appeal to the coin.

• Like 2

• expat changed the title to UPDATE: What would you do?
  • expat changed the title to REVERSE UPDATE: What would you do?

As I suspected, very worn and corroded under whatever that thick stuff was! But there was enough detail left to attribute the coin. Regardless of the condition, I like it. Here are the before and after reverse. Attribution is therefore

Gordian III AR Antoninianus. Rome 239 CE. 4.13gr, 22mm.
IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, radiate, draped bust right / P M TR P II COS P P, Victory advancing left with wreath & palm.
RIC IV Gordian III,19, RSC 199, Sear 8365

20230104_121811 (2).jpg

20230106_094335 (2).jpg

• Like 4