one step closer... (Aemilian)

Nerosmyfavorite68

...to having at least one example of each 'affordable' (sub $600) emperor.

I've owned a Viminacium Sestertius of Aemilian since the 1990's but recently I spotted a 190 Euro Antoninianus on vcoins.  I also got to try out a new (for me) dealer, the GB Collection.  Hats off to the French post - it showed up just as fast as Numiscorner - about 7 days after the order. (French and Dubai post have been the fastest and Deutsche Post the slowest). 

I also tossed in a couple of Sestertii to the order as a stocking stuffer.  I hoped they might be aqua but they are more of a middle green.   The coins showed up in those impossible-to-open self-sealing cardboard mailers (they used to be shut by rubber cement and not as bad, IIRC).  After much careful tearing and muttering, I finally got into the contents, which were flip-less and each wrapped in a tiny bit of tissue.  The one Commodus had come unwrapped, but that probably just happened while trying to open the mailer.  Nothing 'seems' to have been damaged.  I can always request a flip or such the next time; no huge problem. Would I order again? Yes.  The cardboard mailers are only real problems when the coin's thin or fragile.  I'm often much more concerned about it breaking while trying to get into the thing.  Perhaps it's the fog of time, but I don't recall the 1990's versions to be as hard to open.

Now for the praises: I wasn't expecting much of an Aemilian for 190 Euros and had low expectations, but this is a difficult to photograph coin and is much sharper, both obverse and reverse, especially the obverse - than in the picture.  This caused the coin to be unsold for long enough for me to get it.  I'm quite pleased with my budget example.  The throw-ins are pleasant enough and I'm happy with them.  I believe they are the first Commodus Sestertii I've acquired since c. 1995.

My acquisition also brings up a long-time question.  What ethnicity was Aemilian?  Aurelius Victor describes him as a 'Moor'.

I believe I'm down to just Lucius Verus, Balbinus & Pupienus, Carus, Magnentius and Vetranio, most of whom are easy peasy to pick up. 

1197855511_Aemilian-253-ARAntoninianus-RIC8GBCollection.jpg.47e42899608f12f2c5a96b513b76377c.jpg

Aemilian
AR Antoninianus, Rome, 253.
21 x 22 mm - 3.41 g

IMP AEMILIANVS PIVS FEL AVG
Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Aemilian to right
R/ PACI AVG
Pax standing left, leaning on column with her legs crossed, holding branch in her right hand and transverse scepter in her left.

Cohen 26. RIC 8

(personal note; the deposits are horn silver? coin looks much sharper in person)

939329660_Commodus-Sestertius-RICIII471a-VGgreenpatinadonativeissue.jpg.214702d1747761b66dcecbc467203e48.jpg

I purchased this one because of the reverse type.

Commodus 177-192
Æ Sestertius, Rome, 186.
28 x 29 mm / 21.25 g

M COMMODVS ANT-P FELIX [AVG BRIT]
Laureate head right
R/ [PM TR P XI IMP VII COS V PP SC]/LIBERA[L AVG VI] in exergue
Commodus seated left on curule chair set on daïs; to right, Prefect of the praetorium standing left; to left, Liberalitas standing left, holding abacus and cornucopia; citizen on left mounting steps toward platform.

Looks less awful in person - it's only a $30 coin, so one can't expect miracles. I had slight concerns about possible bd from the picture but it's just how the picture came out.

RIC III 471a; MIR 18, 691-6/30; Banti 192

VG, green patina
1898546137_Commodus-Sestertius-RIC441greenpatinaaVFGBCollection.jpg.1d16b8837274ed5b965910c0c99f0b5f.jpg
Commodus
AE Sestertius
22.96 g / 32 mm

M COMM ANTON AVG PIVS BRIT
Laureate head right
R/ VOTA SVSCEP DECEN PM TRP VIIII IMP VII COS IIII PP  S-C
Commodus sacrifying over tripod left

C.988 (6 fr), RIC.441
scratch on reverse
green patina

I had hoped the Sestertii might be aqua; my favorite patina.  They're both closer to forest green. I'm happy with my order and I added another dealer to my list.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 19

If Gallus was murdered in August that'd leave one month for control of Rome, if one accepts the September end date of Aemilian.

Eutropias said, "Aemilianus came from an extremely insignificant family, his reign was even more insignificant, and he was slain in the third month." (Wikipedia).

Perhaps he meant the third month after capturing Rome?

Coinage of Aemilian is scarce but not one month level scarce.

• Benefactor

Still need an Aemilian. That's one I still have to get. I did get a matched set of Balbinus and Pupienus sestertii a couple of years back, each cost more than $600 but I figured if I didn't get both at the same time it might be awhile to find another that I liked. The legend on the Balbinus piece, CONCORDIA AVGG was ironic since the two aged senators hated each other and occupied different parts of the palace, since each thought that the other was plotting against him. They were dispatched by the Praetorian Guard after a reign of three months in favor of the Caesar Gordian.

• Like 1

..hey..an Aemillians an Aemilian ain't it?!...very good!.some of these short lived ones are expensive and one may have to hunt around many & long times to find one acceptable and affordable   one of my life goals to get them all also....i think i see now why coins collector live so long  😛 9_9...i have two very special denarii of him in my Roman emperors collection ..these were my very 1st auctionhouse buys .from the good folk at Teutobugers 🙂

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

• Like 7
  • Yes 1

2 hours ago, ominus1 said:

..hey..an Aemillians an Aemilian ain't it?!...very good!.some of these short lived ones are expensive and one may have to hunt around many & long times to find one acceptable and affordable   one of my life goals to get them all also....i think i see now why coins collector live so long  😛 9_9...i have two very special denarii of him in my Roman emperors collection ..these were my very 1st auctionhouse buys .from the good folk at Teutobugers 🙂

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

Those are two masterpieces by the world's most famous forger, Carl Wilhelm Becker, 1772-1830 🤩.

• Like 2

I wasn't looking for an Aemilian but found two. A dealer in the UK called Copperbark Ltd gave up and sold their inventory in more or less a fire sale.

After  purchasing the Antoninianus they offered me the Sestertius which I also purchased.

image.png.289d558d16dc929edf44371ffc451762.png

Aemilian (Jul-Oct 253)

Antoninianus, Rome

Obv: IMP AEMILIANVS PIVS FEL AVG
Rev: ERCVL VICTORI, Hercules standing r., resting on club and holding bow and lion's skin on left arm.

3.06g, 21-22mm dia.

RCV 9832, RSC 13. Good Very Fine and rare.  Ex Baldwin, October 2005. Lot 2167. As an aside, the hammer price in 2005 was £150 and I bought if in 2021 for £125. As someone more erudite than I mentioned, prices move up and down over the years so best not to pursue this hobby as an investment.

This is the Sestertius.

image.png.49b776420806f135ae889e2995e4f025.png

Aemilian (Jul-Oct 253)

Sestertius, Rome

Obv: IMP CAES AEMILIANVS P F AVG

Rev: VOTIS / DECENNA / LIBVS / S C in four lines within laurel wreath.

14.11g, 25-27mm dia.

RCV 9862, RIC 54(a).

I'm following the same journey as @Nerosmyfavorite68 and have had a reasonable couple of years finalising my year of the five Emperors in July when I  found an affordable  Didius Julianus at the FUN show.

Edited by Dafydd
Poor grammar!
  • Like 7

On 12/31/2022 at 11:08 AM, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I purchased this one because of the reverse type.

that is kool...i like those reverse types also but alas, i don't any yet(of anyone, but looking at a couple of Philip ll ones)

Edited by ominus1

Here are my Antoninianus and Sestertius of Aemilian (the Ant despite it's way superior quality has to go soon because I will concentrate entirely on big bronzes):

image.png.11353df6c56491760e5df1019bc57efe.png

IMP AEMILIANVS PIVS FEL AVG - Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right /

PACI AVG - Pax standing facing, head left, legs crossed, holding olive-branch and transverse sceptre and resting on column

Silver Antoninianus, Rome mint, struck August-October 253

RIC 8, RSC 26, Hunter 13, Sear 9838

image.png.85f895440797dcbc5a257a6de8fd6b4a.png

IMP CAES AEMILIANVS P F AVG - laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right /
VOTIS DECENNALIBVS SC in four lines within laurel wreath
Orichalcum Sestertius, Rome mint, struck ca. August 253 AD
29mm / 11,28 g
RIC IV 54a (RRR), Cohen 67, Hunter 25, Sear 9862, Banti 18 (same obverse die)

• Like 5