New book..

Spaniard

Nice! Cicero is probably the person that you can get the closest to in Roman history, because he left such a mountain of literature at our disposal and while I don't like him, I love him. But Marcus and his writing is some of the most amazing things that antiquity left us. Enjoy reading! Just one tip, the first chapter is just his acknowledgements section basically so while I don't think that you should skip it or anything it can be kinda though to parse since he is dropping so many names and why he admires them.

This is the cover I have by the way 😄

meditations-20.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I read that exact book earlier this year and it's more than worthwhile. If you like that one, Seneca's Letters to A Stoic and Discourses by Epictetus are also great reads.

As I read the Meditations, I had this coin not too far away. The book's notes as also extremely helpful, especially if a reference doesn't make sense.

161_to_162_MarcusAurelius_Denarius_01.png.d81fcbc2880e924b4da51d033b1a8fdf.png161_to_162_MarcusAurelius_Denarius_02.png.51e6d93660ec3113041c657ec1feaba2.png
Marcus Aurelius. AR Denarius. Struck 161/2 AD. M ANTONINVS AVG, bare head right / CONCORD AVG TR P XVII, COS III in exergue, Concordia seated left, holding patera, resting left elbow on statuette of Spes set on base. 18mm 3.4gm

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm currently reading this book:

image.jpeg.b0a268b74be3b10ae6c357e2fc8fbaf6.jpeg

While it's not a catalogue of coins, it does discuss Kushan coins in some detail, as is necessary in discussing Kushan history, religion, and iconography.  It's overall organized as the author telling his life story, and the many adventures he's had and interesting people he's met during his decades spent studying the Kushans.  Fascinating reading, hopefully it tides me over until the British Museum catalogue of Kushan coins comes out this spring.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...