My most random purchase of the year

maridvnvm

I have tried very hard this year to be more disciplined with my puchases and to concentrate on my collecting areas. Every now and then I have lost my focus entriely and bought something that I don; collect and occasionally something I know next to nothing about. This is one such purchase. I don't collect Celtic coins and only have a couple that I have gathered over the years. I have always had a liking for equestrian types and I think it is the stylised nature of the horse that attracted me to this.

I have looked through a few hundred coins online to attempt to find something to help me with my description. I don't have any Celtic reference books in my numismatic library.

Gaul, Northwest. Coriosolites. Circa 100-50 BC. BI Stater

Obv:- Celtic head right, hair in large spiral curls, S-like ear
Rev:- Celticized rider on horseback right; square ornament before; below, boar facing right.

CEL_Coriosolitesa_img1.JPG

• Like 16
  • Clap 1

Way to go on the new coin!

Such a cool type... FAT ELVIS!

293_1-removebg-preview.png.15fb73ceec07fc77678d840b8564ce5b.png

GAUL, Northwest. Coriosolites. Circa 100-50 BC. BI Stater (19mm, 6.28 g, 6h). Celticized head right, hair in large spiral curls, S-like ear / Devolved charioteer-in-biga right; quadrilateral banner hanging from lash to right, [boar below]. Depeyrot, NC VIII, 186; D&T 2340. Brown surfaces, hard green encrustation. VF.

Purchased from CNG March 2021

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 10