anyone notice the change to vcoins' coin images?

Nerosmyfavorite68

Of late there's been a change in vcoins' pictures. Instead of the traditional, static one, there's now a zoom in type.  Completely random example:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/sphinx_numismatics/151/product/927eb6_india_kushan_empire_huvishka_circa_ad_151190__tetradrachm_27_mm_1050_g_12h_main_mint_in_kapisha_begram_late_phase_huvishka_holding_ankusa_elephant_goad/1331650/Default.aspx

Not only does this make it rather difficult to use the mouse wheel to pan down the page (it hangs up on the image), I discovered that upon saving an .htm version of the page there doesn't seem to be a .jpg.  Screenshotting it results in a slightly smaller image than their previous, small-ish image. Yay!

For those who have terrible luck with coin photography this makes it much more inconvenient to archive my buys or share news of my buys.

Before I had any inkling of this issue I sent vcoins customer service a polite email suggesting slight changes to make gifting easier and a slight search change (I'd like to search by price, or by dealer, as one can on the page resulting from the search).  I haven't yet heard anything back.

Edit: I noticed that I could right-click save a jpg of a coin page which I saved 3-4 weeks ago, around when I noticed the changes.  I couldn't do that to the one I saved today.  Right click (Firefox) would just come up with the save page as menu.

• Like 1

I've noticed the change because it makes scrolling somewhat difficult on mobile, I'm 90% on mobile. When I try to scroll the page doesn't move, it just flicks the picture up and down and I have to remember to lift my thumb above the picture, which is hard when you're using one hand and you don't have long fingers...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I experimented with both the original URL and the saved version, in three different browsers - Firefox, Chrome, and Edge.  I had the same result thoughout. No luck.

Does it depend on what the dealer includes on their page? This one has the zoom image that when you try to save it, it saves as an html file (first image).

Underneath are two saveable image files, ,jpg (second image)

Screenshot of html file

Capture.JPG.1578de853e87c9da9f505d011ae20a8f.JPG

,jpg file

Ji6XzDM3dH2sg5pFNA9dDac8wE4eqH.jpg.b025017101355b3793ba281b2d3589fc.jpg

• Like 2

I'm glad Vcoins finally addressed the issue that made it difficult to enlarge images while mobile browsing but the new tool does take some getting used to. It's actually the same one I use on my website for my "Ultra Zoom" images (also used by the British Museum and various auction websites). It's an open-source tool called OpenSeaDragon and a lot of the complaints mentioned so far can be addressed with slight changes to the code that implements the tool on the Vcoins website, such as allowing easier JPG image saving and not having the mouse scroll automatically scroll the image instead of the page.

Though I believe if you click the magnifying glass in the bottom right corner it opens the original JPG image and from here you can right-click to save it.

image.png.b451fc7f1d3fcbb033197bbd54ddd408.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I experimented with both the original URL and the saved version, in three different browsers - Firefox, Chrome, and Edge.  I had the same result thoughout. No luck.

Is it because when you save the page it doesn’t actually save the image? It still relies on downloading it from the web, so you have to go into the image and save it separately.

I'm able to click the magnifying glass in the lower right, then right click and "save image as" to save the image. This is the same process that I used before VCoins made the image change. I've tried it on Firefox and Chrome and it works identically on both.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kevikens said:

I noticed and spent hours fooling around with my settings before throwing up my hands. if Vcoins wants to make changes, fine, but please tell viewers what's going on.

Exactly!

When I get back from my Christmas I'll fool around with it and try the suggestions. 

I recently asked them to make a tiny change to the search page.  Let one search by the parameters that one can on the landing page - sort A-Z, dealer, price, etc) instead of having to do it over and over.

I looked at Prieure's store yesterday and..

tenor_gif8358390797705698887_6485183311209948.gif.a09e948f2aa09af70f8b6a6619fde208.gif

I think I may have figured it out.  Right-clicking on the magnifier and selecting 'save image as' saves the picture of the magnifier. It's save 'link' as,and the jpg popped up, which yields a jpg (drumroll) TWICE as big as before!.  Hoorah!  The new way's a bit of a pain, but if I can get a bigger picture, hey, it might be worth it.

One has to do all this by the magnifier icon.  This was done on Firefox.

• Like 2

For Vcoins, I use the Chrome web browser, on my desktop computer. I agree with others in this thread, that I preferred the old Vcoins image format. To view the large coin image, I left click on the magnifying glass. On the resulting large image, to save the large image, I right click on the large image, and then I left click on "Save image as...". I just need to train myself, to always left click on the magnifying glass, rather than trying to left click on the small image.

Edited by sand
  • Like 4

I noticed upon making an order from the GB Collection (my first) that the saved images were of different sizes.  Perhaps the new save as is whatever the dealer's original photo resolutions are?

I'm starting to get slightly worried about my order from London Ancients, 4 weeks back,but since the mail-out email was 3 weeks ago, it's not too far out from normal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I'm starting to get slightly worried about my order from London Ancients, 4 weeks back,but since the mail-out email was 3 weeks ago, it's not too far out from normal.

Hi @Nerosmyfavorite68,

Keep in mind that the rail workers and postal workers have staged various strike days in November and December.

- Broucheion

Edited by Broucheion
  • Like 2

I hope they address or dump the annoying zoom thing but this might just work out. I also discovered I can save link as with the archived pages.

This might just work out for the better.  Instead of forever having to rummage within the saved folder to find the image, I can have a properly named one, stored wherever I wish.

I tried GB Collection for the first time.  Given the excellent results I've had with Numiscorner, I'm hoping that French post will be just as good this time.