We Review CNG’s Triton XXVI Feature Auction Sale

TheTrachyEnjoyer

Interesting; I watched most of the video.  I suppose the Byzantine state was too far gone at that point to hire decent die cutters. If I were Daddy Warbucks, I'd focus in on the Romulus Augustus rather than that.

I found the Leo to be the most interesting of the gold lot.

Do the fleet coins ever come nice?  I'd like a non-bd example in any recognizable state.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sand said:

I didn't know, that there was a "wedding" issue and a "siege" issue. Was that your voice, doing most of the talking, about the Constantine XI stavraton?

https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/the-last-coins-of-the-roman-empire/
This isnt quite an academic source but it is a good summary. Bendall’s article is best but I do not have flashdrive on hand to share screenshots.

“While all of Constantine’s stavrata are crude in appearance, some are much better struck than others. Numismatist Harlan Berk, who was involved with the dispersal of the coins of the Constantine IX Hoard, has suggested that about half of Constantine’s stavrata were probably struck very early in his reign, perhaps as a coronation issue, with the remainder being struck during the final siege of Constantinople.

Five of Constantine’s 35 stavrata display a symbol () that is identical to the symbol on the last stavraton of John VIII. The first stavraton of John VIII shares a symbol with the last stavraton of his father, Manuel II (reigned 1391-1425), which suggests that it was customary for an emperor to link his first coinage with the last coinage of his predecessor. The stavrata of Constantine IX with the symbol CΠ do not have the same rushed appearance as his eighth stavrata, which were almost certainly struck during the final siege of Constantinople. All of this lends support to the theory that a portion of Constantine’s stavrata were indeed struck early in his reign, with the remainder being struck during the siege.”

3 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Interesting; I watched most of the video.  I suppose the Byzantine state was too far gone at that point to hire decent die cutters. If I were Daddy Warbucks, I'd focus in on the Romulus Augustus rather than that.

I agree for a “coronation type”. However, a “siege” issue can almost certainly be tied to soldier payments during the 1453 siege which is very neat. I would rather have such a piece than a Romulus Augustulus coin.

3 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Do the fleet coins ever come nice?  I'd like a non-bd example in any recognizable state.

A question better answered by @zadie

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I found the Leo to be the most interesting of the gold lot.

They very rarely ever come in higher grades. The finest known types could at best be given a gF/VF grade. Usually there's a slight premium if the legends are legible in any capacity, which in itself is an indicator of how low grade most fleets are